Winter Sun Here We Come !!

vwalan

lovely in cornwall today .
had a nice m,bike ride and its nice and warm in the sun.
mind had some horrible rainy days .
have a good one bm.

Easyliving

Lucky man BM

We are currently on a site near Great Yarmouth, it’s not Spain but it’s only £6.55 a night all in so I am not complaining.

We are driving to Spain in mid January - what would you say is the easiest way across the Pyrenees at that time of year, any idea?

Paul

BigMomma

lovely in cornwall today .
had a nice m,bike ride and its nice and warm in the sun.
mind had some horrible rainy days .
have a good one bm.
Our final week on site was just continuous rain and strong winds But to be fair, I don't think that there are too many places anywhere in UK that haven't had the bad weather, some worse than others at least Southern Spain is basking in sunshine

BigMomma

Lucky man BM

We are currently on a site near Great Yarmouth, it’s not Spain but it’s only £6.55 a night all in so I am not complaining.

We are driving to Spain in mid January - what would you say is the easiest way across the Pyrenees at that time of year, any idea?

Paul
Hi Paul, to be fair, we always travel around this time each year and sail into Northern Spain so cannot real give you any advice on that route. A lot will depend on how much snow they have and how fast they clear it, but they are pretty good at keeping the main routes open in the Winter.

vwalan

years ago my favourite route was roscoff ,angers ,anguleme, perigueux, nice by the river there watching otters. then across to sarlat la canacda, then to gourdon park by the lake just north of gourdon. then down throughmontauban,toulouse,saverdun,go past saverdun then turn right and head north for the town there is a good layby aire type parking there.
from there head for foix then andorra . fuel up etc then go through andorra ,before you get to la seu d,urgell turn left on the n260 and head for martinet good parking on the right as you enter the area by a river.
the road to andorra is abit zig zaggy but the scenery is fantastic .
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.2257296,1.6043353,3a,75y,189.07h,62.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suJjM1sI5s3vmCoYaclfTwg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 saverdon .
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@42.3590984,1.6914246,3a,75y,148.2h,79.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sr3XzW8YgiBLgi4w3IQXjog!2e0!7i13312!8i6656. Martinet.
hope they work .
mind was about 30yrs ago we used them every winter. later we just caught the ferry to santander.

Easyliving

Original plan was to get the ferry to Santander but SWMBO is not keen on the Bay of Biscay in January and I can’t say I blame her.

So, we are getting the Tunnel then driving down through France. We have about 3 months for this trip so no rush anyway.

Paul

Easyliving

years ago my favourite route was roscoff ,angers ,anguleme, perigueux, nice by the river there watching otters. then across to sarlat la canacda, then to gourdon park by the lake just north of gourdon. then down throughmontauban,toulouse,saverdun,go past saverdun then turn right and head north for the town there is a good layby aire type parking there.
from there head for foix then andorra . fuel up etc then go through andorra ,before you get to la seu d,urgell turn left on the n260 and head for martinet good parking on the right as you enter the area by a river.
the road to andorra is abit zig zaggy but the scenery is fantastic .
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.2257296,1.6043353,3a,75y,189.07h,62.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suJjM1sI5s3vmCoYaclfTwg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 saverdon .
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@42.3590984,1.6914246,3a,75y,148.2h,79.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sr3XzW8YgiBLgi4w3IQXjog!2e0!7i13312!8i6656. Martinet.
hope they work .
mind was about 30yrs ago we used them every winter. later we just caught the ferry to santander.
Thanks for that Alan, time to get the map out I think.

Paul

vwalan

france can be a very exciting drive ,but in winter it can be very cold.
we found the west coast the best but liked the drive through andorra etc ,i liked it as a kid and my two lads liked it as well as they were growing up.
mind sometimes we just hugged the west coast of france then hugged the atlantic spanish coast . there,s some great places along that north coast . not as warm as the med but can be ok.

vwalan

chrisjones18

So, we are getting the Tunnel then driving down through France. We have about 3 months for this trip so no rush anyway.

Paul
This is also our plan (if it all comes together) leaving just before the new year after a stay in Cornwall for xmas. Booked a holiday cottage to take the family .
Then to see the other half of family in Spain as we missed the wedding.
Can't put the dog in kennels so unable to sail. ( unless someone knows different )

vwalan

you can get pet friendly cabins on some of brittany ferries ships .
did cross on one once although i didnt have a dog then .
capt finistere. was ok. but i had to drive to portsmouth .
prefer plymouth really.
does seem like plymouth isnt running again in the winter .

vwalan

lots of choice really. some only take toll and m,ways , hardly meet or see the real country they are traveling through.
we like to just dawdle along drive almost as slow as you can ,stop to look at scenery or village buildings etc . might have an idea of going to somewhere but might never get there .follow the coast or follow a river, or visit every village with a letter n in it . etc. traveling is after all just a big adventure , if you arent happy where you are move on . its amazing what you can see or find in almost all the little villages on the way. smile, wave at the locals . the more the village is away from the main tourist areas the nicer they are .
dont be in a rush, enjoy every day . have fun and be happy.

chrisjones18

you can get pet friendly cabins on some of brittany ferries ships .
did cross on one once although i didnt have a dog then .
capt finistere. was ok. but i had to drive to portsmouth .
prefer plymouth really.
does seem like plymouth isnt running again in the winter .
We have only ever managed to get a cabin once.
Think we try to book too late and they all seem to have been taken.
House sale fell through so we are on our drive in motorhome... no furniture in the house as we gave away what we had left.
Sold it again though but it all takes time, up to 3 months now to complete.

vwalan

might be you will have to do the drive down through france then.
mind never know with global warming it might be warm weather.
used to use sally lines years ago ramsgate to dunkirk. that was a great ferry.
but closed along time ago.
ideal for going holland germany etc .
we used to very often take our dog on the plymouth -roscoff ferry as it was close to us down here.
why cant you put the dog in a kennel?

vwalan

on the pont aven boat,although there is kennels there is also an area you can sit with your dog etc almost all the time if needed. mind its not running nov till march from plymouth . shame as its only 20hrs crossing.
we used to leave blacky in the trailer after all it was her home. made arrangements with either the captain or the burser to have permission to walk her on the car deck one or twice. years ago there was no kennels so i made a fuss later years and they allowed it. sometimes we never walked her she just got left in the trailer and if she had wet etc it was our fault . but she didnt.
if you have to drive through france its not really trouble . have done it in one day ,along day. but used to take three days usually . sometimes longer.
stay off m,ways and main roads ,there is usually a nice quiet side road next to the busy main roads .

BigMomma

Hi Chris, will changes in the pet passport scheme once we are out of the EU have an impact when you return ? Having no dogs ourselves it is just things we have seen mentioned on other forums that appear to indicate that it could get more difficult, but I don't really understand it myself so just asking really

Adverts