where are you wintering ?

Hi
shortly to make the jump to a full time 5er l was wondering where you all spent the winter months or those that stayed in the uk anyway, is viable to use proper pitches, how cheap do they come ? or is a case of finding a friendly farmer and setting up behind his barn until the council appears,
l do have a piece of land with stables/barn on and was planning on parking along side the barn coupling
up to the electric and water and staying as long as l can then moving on returning now and then,

hpold

Just keep rolling till you find a place you like . Anything from £5 to a tenner a night or nothing if you wild camp.

Silver Drifter

Aguilas in Murcia _ daytime temp not been below 14c all winter and it almost never rains. Plenty of wildcamping (found only after getting a 40 euro parking fine d'oh!)

sundowners

I think that parts of Spain are warmer/drier than Portugal--BUT we soooo much prefer Portugal, but as soon as you get away from the Algarve coastal areas it can get colder/wetter----it depends so much on luck regarding the weather.
This winter we had a great time travelling across Spain, well away from the hassles on the coast, fantastic landscapes, quiet roads and some REALLY great wild stopping places with no hassle about 'camping'-------------so, for us, there ARE some fantastic areas in Spain, but as with Portugal, once you venture away from the coast, the weather is a bit of a gamble.
Also, away from the coast, you are more likely to find free/empty aires (which suits US)

coolasluck

I have heard that sweden is great this time of the year:D

sundowners

I am NOT talking about Sweden-------------------------------it will be toooo crowded when we go back-----------------------Yes it's far too cold ;);)

hpold

I am NOT talking about Sweden-------------------------------it will be toooo crowded when we go back-----------------------Yes it's far too cold ;);)
coolaslook mentioned sweden and it is cold there :D

coolasluck

Yes sweden is cold this time of the year,but thats good if you dont like it too hot,but like people:cautious::rofl:

sundowners

A bit cool at the moment:(----but------when we were there last year in May/early June we had quite a spell in the 90's F-----------------------------IF we can do it, we intend to be there in August this this year :)----but hospital app. my get in the way :cry::cry:------------in an ideal world we would spend summer in Sweden and winter in Portugal:)

Wandering Star

:cool: It's not totally 'Brr' in the UK over winter.
If you choose good locations you can be sheltered from the elements and stay quite toasty!
I chose a combination of Shropshire, Worcestestershire and Wiltshire, and stayed in that area over the wintry months. I admit I did have to take 'refuge' in sites for a few weeks whilst we were being battered by storms and suchlike, but it totally feasible to over-winter in the UK.
I reckon it's cost me an extra £100-£200 in pitch fees over the winter, but I had leccy and wicked showers!
I have to say though, I'm not a great fan of the heat, so I trust this doesn't colour your perceptions too much?

Adverts