Well we've only gone & done it!!

Mike7692

Hi Mh365'ers,

Firstly can I apologise for not being as immersed on here as I was when I was first joined up :blush: but recently it's been rather busy getting sorted because as of July 4th we are now full-time living in our Bailey Approach 745SE aka The Fluffy Duster!! It feels like an age since we first signed on with our dreams and plans, reading everybody else's, getting envious of people living their dream, but now we are one of those people :party:

I know everybody's plans are different and what works for one doesn't work for another but we are in the van and that's the important step!! It took about a week or so to get into a routine in the mornings as my alarm still goes off at 4.45am but we got there. We have an awning with an annexe added on so we have a good outdoor but indoor space!! We are still working as we had no house to sell and staying on a site a short cycle ride from my work. If we're careful - but not tight - we can boost our bank balance over the next 12 - 18 months to give us our cushion and enable the next stage of travelling this country and Europe - and hopefully spend some more time with our friends in Australia. One plan discussed with them is hiring a van there touring a bit and ending up at Ayers Rock for the sunrise/sunset....yes please :thumb:

I just wanted to share this with you guys as we're so happy here and to give inspiration to some who maybe thinking about it as we did before bought the van. It does take some time and planning...but it's so worth it!!!

Mike

Steve Freeman

Excellent! You may find, like us, that it's cheaper in a van than a house, and saving is easier. Some on this forum seem to run houses and rigs for about 9p a week, but sadly that's not us.
I'd say the minute you don't have to work, give it up and start living, and then get out to Europe (and wider) as soon as you can!

Ste

Ditto the post above from Steve. I hope it all works out for you. So far it's as good, if not better than I imagined not being tied to a house. Some find different but what suits one doesn't suit the next person.

coolasluck

Well done on the start of your dream and remember you can make it up as you go along.We are now like you and our house is no longer ours as from tomorrow.It is great starting the dream we have though spent a lot of it dosing in the afternoons.Good luck to you though:thumb:

vwalan

as the above , have fun and lets hope things work out great for you.
lots are out there .
me i like my house and i can keep my toys to play with.

hpold

Have a great time you will enjoy it .Even when all turns to worms just sit back and say to yourself this life put the kettle on and have a good cuppa it will then look all different . Safe and happy journeys.

Steve Freeman

The important thing is to watch for good tips from vwalan. Some say he has built and sometimes lives in, a working 3/4 scale model of the Palais de Versaille, made from washing up bottles, pipe cleaners and milk bottle tops, all for £2.39. According to legend; but I think he got ripped off on the bottle tops.

Merle

Sunrise or sunset or even both at Ayers Rock ..... now that's my kind of heaven, together with travelling anywhere in Oz

AlaskaGuy

Good to hear, Mike. We're a few weeks behind you in making the transition. We too have learned much from the good folks on this forum and I look forward to meeting some of them at the Adventure Overland show in Stratford at end of September. (Merle on here can give you details about the event)

Mike7692

Thanks guys! I went through a little apprehensive stage...but I'm loving living in the van.
Good luck to everyone starting out and those to follow soon. You won't look back!

chrisjones18

Sunrise or sunset or even both at Ayers Rock ..... now that's my kind of heaven, together with travelling anywhere in Oz
going there nov 1st, picking up the motorhome on the following tue in Adelaide and heading north

Reactions: BwB

chrisjones18

Hi
a great trip-----but be aware of heat problems-----have you been up north in the summer before ??
Yes we have, though we got advised by rangers at Flinders Ranges not to go via Marree on the oodnadatta track as It was 50c. So we went right to Broken Hill only to find a lot of places on fire.
so this time we are going up the Stuart highway then back the other way.......with luck anyway.
Wilpena in the Flinders is just stunning......well we think so.

Mike....good luck on your new life

BigMomma

Congratulations Mike and Sue, looking forward to seeing both of you again in September :thumb:

hpold

Hi do not know if you have a decal but here is one if you wish to use it in your tax disc. First save it to your docs then open in paint resize to what you want and print in good photo quality , you might meet some mohomers who are ont on the site feel free to give them a decal and sign up. Also if you pm uncle Aiki with your email he will put you on365 google maps. Safe trip and try to get to the show plenty of fun and prizes to win .:thumb:

Attachments

Adverts