Water

Mike7692

Right another question for you all regarding my fresh water tank.

As we were at home the other week I filled up my tank before leaving via the garden hose pipe connected to the Whale system. I now realise this was a mistake as we made a drink of squash and promptly went uurrrghh!!! :oops::p

Now i spoke to someone at Caravanworld - a dealer near colchester - who said i could use this truma AquaStar stuff - or just go to a chemist and buy some H2O2 Hydrogen Peroxide???? If i did this what %age would i buy as there seems to be a few one which says 35% Food Grade and in what ratio would i use it????:confused:

I'm full of questions me aren't I:)

vwalan

just fill by not using the hose . use chlorinated water fill and empty twice leave it in overnight each time.
some hoses are horrible . i use a blue coloured one sometimes but it can taste ..better if i waste some to give it a good swill out . but where i can i find use containers to fill .have a plastic pop bottle with the side cut out as a funnel . bit awkward but it works .i have about ten foot of food grade clear hose i use if i can . if you like drinking lots water think about a good system http://www.brownchurch.co.uk/waterpurification.html i use this sort of filter arrangement . dont need the shoer stuff you probably have a good pump . but the doulton berkenfeld system is tops as used by the world health organizations , i have the filter hung by the sink it as its own tap. so just plumb it as a extra to your cold water pipework. no point in filtering all water just what you drink neat.

BigMomma

I have always used a normal hose pipe to fill my water tank, however, it was purchased for the sole purpose of filling the Motorhome fresh water tank and not for using on the garden or cleaning the vehicles so that the hose ends did not get contaminated. I have recently purchased a brand new one for our 'extended' trip from a local garden centre. The other thing we have purchased is a Britta Water Filter Jug. Bought it after the last lot of Kidney Stones because of the amount of limescale that was being created, although I have been told that you only get the limescale when the water is boiled :eek: what I can tell you is that the water once filtered never tasted so good and we will be taking this along with us :thumb: You may also recall on one of my posts from not so long ago that I had a problem with my water gauge, caused through a build up of 'calcite' on the probes in the tank itself. Purchased some 'Elsan' Fresh Water Tank cleaner for £5 and cleaned out the tank, it not only cleaned the tank but also descaled the probes. 2 full rinses of the tank with fresh water and hey presto, clean tank, water gauge that works and no after taste from the water :thumb: Best be quick though, looks like with this weather set to continue there will be a water hose ban on soon so filling and rinsing your water tank twice will not be seen as an economical use of water :rolleyes:

coolasluck

i am not so bothered with the taste of the water as we hope to not drink the tank water unless i fit a specific tap and filter but always use the local garage just up the road to fill my water tank, (why use our own water) :) i filled up recently to test the system out and then redrained back into the containers,the wife has tonight watered the flowers with it.:D before the rains eventually come.
I do like the idea that alan had with a filter to a purely drinking water tank,a good one i thought,i also had to descale the plastic pipe from the bathroom and was flabergasted with the amount of thick limescale build up that was lining the plastic pipe and water trap,god knows how long it had built up for i dread to think.

vwalan

its all from one tank coola . i drink it usually from the cold tap but if someone as a problem or an illness i use the filter . i do sometimes buy a 5 litre of drinking water just as a real never know thing . hide it in a locker . but normally only use taps fonts and rain water if i can . rain water is great as a shower make your hair feel lovely .well does mine .

BwB

I've got a food safe hose and a garden hose and can't tell when I've used one or the other - so I use whichever is to hand.

You can use hydrogen peroxide to clean tanks out (say, once a year) but I think with your moho being new it's probably the plastic taste you're getting. There could even be swarf in the tank from where the holes were drilled (so it might be worth using the dump valve to get rid of any water you have left in the tank and hopefully flush out any bits before they get to the pump filter.

The plastic taste will go after a few refills but you can speed the process by using baking soda (mix with water and tip in the filler) half fill tank with tap water, have a drive around the block, let it sit for 20 mins. Run taps and shower to get it through the system. Dump the water from the tank, refill, run taps, dump. Done.

vwalan

swarf would either block a filter or pump or come out the tap .it wont dissolve in the water . i would be suprized it its the tank . the hose is most likely source .plus i bet you didnt run it for awhile to swill all the old stagnant water out .

BigMomma

Stagnant water can be a problem. We do not tend to clean the tank out very often (not with chemicals), after each trip we empty the tanks completely, including the hot water boiler and then re-fill with fresh before each journey, never had a problem yet with tummy upsets, well at least not due to that kind of fluid intake :D

vwalan

if you have a black fresh water tank it shouldnt get stagnant . theres something in black plastic keeps it fresh .think of mod fresh water jerry cans .keeps water fresh for years .water can last for months in a black fresh water tank.

BigMomma

I don't know what colour it is, can't see it !!

vwalan

i bought mine from cak tanks they tend to only do black ones . unfortunately i have seen white .amost see through on quite expensive vans . not good .i got lots of info when building mine from the scientists at sww. even my choice of filter was because it was the best or so they said . could have had a nature pure but they didnt recommend it .

coolasluck

Mine is also a black tank it helps to prevent algae building up in the tank,god knows what the size is but i would bet its bigger than my hymers tank,on my tank the tank does not drain from the bottom but at the side and hense that would mean that the tank would never 100 percent drain properly,but i have a valve and long hose attached from the drainpoint which means i can drain back into the 5 gallon containers i have and i can sit down on the step whilst draining with it.

vwalan

i never really drain my fresh tank .unless i have put river water in . i might empty it when clean water is available .
went for 7 weeks in portugal a few years ago not touching taps just fonts and rain water coming off the roof .
been there should know better but it was fun.

sundowners

Right another question for you all regarding my fresh water tank.

As we were at home the other week I filled up my tank before leaving via the garden hose pipe connected to the Whale system. I now realise this was a mistake as we made a drink of squash and promptly went uurrrghh!!! :oops::p

I'm full of questions me aren't I:)
I would think it was just the water that was left in the hose-----I always let ANY tap or hose run to get rid of any stale water-----like Alan, we have a separate tap from a filter, but are quite careful with the water we put in the tank------we take it from fonts/springs they are pretty safe---rivers vary a lot, we prefer, where we can, to use that without putting it in the tank.

BwB

swarf would either block a filter or pump or come out the tap .it wont dissolve in the water . i would be suprized it its the tank . the hose is most likely source .plus i bet you didnt run it for awhile to swill all the old stagnant water out .
Where did I say the swarf would dissolve?

Mike7692

Thanks again for your input people :thumb:

As many of you suggest I didn't let the hose run as I was in a hurry to get going:rolleyes: so it is most likely to be that so therefore as I plan on washing the van early Sunday before the heat kicks in I will also drain whats left in the tank via the plug give it a good rinse out and get some hose purely for the MH filling!! It hopefully will get rid of any swarf which may be floating around in there too and make it a bit more palatable.

Once again i thank you all :notworthy:

Mike

BigMomma

As many of you suggest I didn't let the hose run as I was in a hurry to get going:rolleyes: so it is most likely to be that so therefore as I plan on washing the van early Sunday before the heat kicks in I will also drain whats left in the tank via the plug give it a good rinse out and get some hose purely for the MH filling!! It hopefully will get rid of any swarf which may be floating around in there too and make it a bit more palatable.

Mike
Just keep asking the easy one's Mike, God help you when you need to know something a bit more difficult :rofl:

chrisjones18

you could always use a pure silver water jug-------if your rich enough :D
apparently it kills off all germs . i've not saved enough to buy one yet. [not a clue on cost though].

best use your own hose though as you won't have a clue as to whats happened to the one hanging on a tap.
i remember once on a site [them places some of you dont like :D ], a child [you know, them horrible skwakin things]was washing out the inside of a portapotti with the fresh water hose ---
the hose was inside it :cry:

water from a stream would be great if you can get it as close to the source as possible [no farm animals]

BigMomma

you could always use a pure silver water jug-------if your rich enough :D
apparently it kills off all germs . i've not saved enough to buy one yet. [not a clue on cost though].

best use your own hose though as you won't have a clue as to whats happened to the one hanging on a tap.
i remember once on a site [them places some of you dont like :D ], a child [you know, them horrible skwakin things]was washing out the inside of a portapotti with the fresh water hose ---
the hose was inside it :cry:

water from a stream would be great if you can get it as close to the source as possible [no farm animals]
Well Chris, you know what the nearest thing to Silver is ????.........................................The Lone Rangers Bum :rofl:

sundowners

As many of you suggest I didn't let the hose run ------------------- and get some hose purely for the MH filling!!

Mike
Hi
by all means get a hose to carry in your m/home-------but the one you use at home is good enough to fill your tank---just run it so that all the water in it is run out before you stick it in the van's tank-----especially if is in the sun/full of water:thumb::thumb:

Adverts