Water water everywhaire....

Mike7692

Hi folks,

Those of you following Eric's progress on BM big adventure will see & most likely have experienced for that matter, his recent stay at a couple of 'aires' on his way through Spain.

Now as someone who as yet to travel abroad in our MHome.....the water.....is it drinkable or just really for use to grey water ie shower, washing up etc? Having been on holiday in Spain before we always purchase bottled water to drink....would this still be the case?

Cheers
Mike

aikidoamigo

My view would be that it is OK for boiling for tea or coffee and cooking but to drink a glass of cold water we would buy it.

Not so much a question of the piped source, more a question about how many days has it sat in your tank with all the older stuff..

johnnerontheroad

We are the same as aikidoamigo use bottled water for drinking but for tea and coffee use the tank. There are still some villages that have water from a spring in the village square where the locals fill their water bottles for drinking.

Dave

Wandering Star

Never drink tap water anywhere south of the UK!

vwalan

i drink it almost anywhere .certainly in western countries . just look for the non potable signs that are usually on non drinking water . even most of the north african countries water is ok .
i do have a british berkefeld filter system . with a royal doulton filter (ceramic and silver inlay)but only use that if i do have to fill with river water etc when really out the way . i do go to way out places in morocco etc .most possibly wont.
i might buy a bottle of water as a real back up . but normally dont buy water .

DonnaG

My view would be that it is OK for boiling for tea or coffee and cooking but to drink a glass of cold water we would buy it.

Not so much a question of the piped source, more a question about how many days has it sat in your tank with all the older stuff..

And also a question of did someone just use the 'fresh' water tap to rinse out their toilet cassette, it happens a lot :confused: Carry an additive such as Aquasol :thumb:

vwalan

wipe the tap first with a cloth with a splash of bleach on it .
chlorinated water put into a tank . specially if its a black tank should stay drinkable for years .
if unknown tank in a new to you m,home . fill with chlorinated water leave over night then drain fill again .and off you go.

chrisjones18

And also a question of did someone just use the 'fresh' water tap to rinse out their toilet cassette, it happens a lot :confused: Carry an additive such as Aquasol :thumb:
i have seen this happen :mad:

vwalan

think its fair to say most get ill in spain through eating like pigs and drinking far too much .
having travelled there most of my life i havent had any trouble with the water . almost every seafront as water fountains for drinking water anyway .
in morocco we have stopped by desert wells , lots come to get water . trucks .buses stop . cars come to carry away containers full of it .
heres some drinking water wells and a road side stop for drinking water etc in maroc . great fun . ideal places to spend a few days do the washing and meet loads of locals . even some sheep for coola .hee hee .

Attachments

coolasluck

We always take water with us or buy in the shops but i will be fitting a dedicated tap specificaly for water filtered and purified so as we can drink it.

coolasluck

I think its you that need the sheep al,unless you get down and dirty with bob on your travels;)

vwalan

sorry coola . i can always find a nadia or a buschra . dont worry about me .
fatima is ok as well.
i thought you liked animals ,quote We both are animal lovers and the thought has crossed my mind that in exchange for hook up and a parking space we would happily. unquote your post in the charity thread
cant beat taking things out of context.hee hee

coolasluck

Your more than a bit mentaly unstable arent you :D Im going to miss you in the 6 months period:rofl:

johnnerontheroad

I saw the opposite when a German was filling his tank from where you empty the cassettes, I told him where to fill up but he just continued, his problem.

Dave

Mike7692

Thanks guys!! It just got me wondering!!

Interesting pics Alan.......need to get into the swing of things in more 'established' (for want of better word) places.

vwalan

look for taps or use the fonts in spain . many have little plaques that tell you about the water . just beware some garage fillups . better to ask . also dont take water if on the growing areas some is not treated . but its easy to tell. plus ask someone .

sundowners

it is soo cheap to buy bottled water in France/Spain/Portugal/Maroc that it's not such a big deal---------and the 5L bottles are sooo good to fetch/carry water-----but do mark the 'bought' ones so that you don't put them in the tank (or drink the others). But to be honest, I doubt you would have ANY problems with any water sourced from a sensible supply, as Alan said, people blame the water for problems caused by other things-------like too much sun/alcohol:(:(
(we have come across garages that keep water in open tanks----so check water pressure before putting it in your tank, --it would be gravity fed)

Last edited:

vwalan

if in portugal you can catch rain water coming off your camper .
we once went 7 weeks only using rain water and occasional fonts .
think it was jan feb 2010, started with rain storms when we were up by the barragems up above silves and all the way as we went north along the west coast . at alfife we actually used a tap. but we were almost out of portugal then .

sundowners

the last time we were in Portugal ----we would have died of de-hydration-----only had a couple of light sprinkles-- not enough to wet the roof---Dec to April (2012)------until we left to go to Spain----then it snowed:rofl::rofl:

Adverts