Vehicle registration 180 days

Monkmoor

Hello

I have been on Europe for over 180 days and was aware that you are ment to register van in country if you stay over 180 days...

This was last year, and not a problem. Returned home and no one asked and it wasn't an issue.

I'm currently in Spain.( Locked down ).. no worries.

Just want facts and experiences of any who like myself have done over 180 days and are caught out , what are the implications...

What's happened to those who have been stopped.???

Experiences please..

BigMomma

I don’t think, unless anyone responding is a non EU citizen, that anyone can answer you because whilst we were members of the EU the 180 day rule was never enforced, but that will change from 31st December 2020 when the Transition Period ends, unless it is extended of course, which is looking unlikely. For non-Schengen citizens then the punishment for non-compliance depends on the Country you are in when you get caught, some are more stringent than others. From on-line reports the punishments can range from a Fine, the impounding of your vehicle, going to prison, having your status recorded as undesirable which would mean permanent access to a particular country or countries revoked. I am sure that there will be individuals who will try to defeat the system and so will be interesting to see what happens, but do not rule out the possibility that the U.K. may come to some sort of reciprocal arrangements, Things are still very fluid at the moment and also, you can always apply for a ’Tourist Travel Visa’ which may, if granted, permit you to travel within the Schengen areas for 12 months.

chrisjones18

You're on "Holiday"
It don't count until end of 2020.
It only counts if you live or work outside eu until then.
Nothing else is sorted yet

Monkmoor

I don’t think, unless anyone responding is a non EU citizen, that anyone can answer you because whilst we were members of the EU the 180 day rule was never enforced, but that will change from 31st December 2020 when the Transition Period ends, unless it is extended of course, which is looking unlikely. For non-Schengen citizens then the punishment for non-compliance depends on the Country you are in when you get caught, some are more stringent than others. From on-line reports the punishments can range from a Fine, the impounding of your vehicle, going to prison, having your status recorded as undesirable which would mean permanent access to a particular country or countries revoked. I am sure that there will be individuals who will try to defeat the system and so will be interesting to see what happens, but do not rule out the possibility that the U.K. may come to some sort of reciprocal arrangements, Things are still very fluid at the moment and also, you can always apply for a ’Tourist Travel Visa’ which may, if granted, permit you to travel within the Schengen areas for 12 months.

Thank you for your reply. I am currently in Tenerife and in lockdown.
I could head home , but have previously overstayed my 6 month in Spain..

I don't think it will be an issue but it's good to hear people's stories and experiences.

Two of my mates left Tenerife last week in their vans.

One of the lads was asked how long he had been here for.

I will chance it, but just wondered if any one had any experiences.

Like all fines advertised ( they always say from £30 to life imprisonment..)

They always show the worse situation...

Thank you in advance

BigMomma

So how are you planning on getting back to the U.K. ?

When you say you overstayed previously in Spain, were you stopped and told you had overstayed How would they know that you had not travelled to France, or Italy or another EU country as their are currently no land Borders ?

Because of lack of ferries during the lockdown, staying longer than normal I cannot see as becoming an issue as people were initially told not to drive or even prevented from crossing borders.

I think you may still need to have a confirmed ferry or tunnel reservation and what will you do about driving, as they will not let you deviate off the motorways, so you need supplies of water and food and somewhere to sleep

Adverts