Time to wash the fluffy duster

Mike7692

As we're going to be at home entering the 'doldrums' I think it's time to wash the van!

Now, the question I have is what with? Do I use the general wash & wax for cars or is there a specific wash for the van material? I have seen something called inside & out which does the surfaces inside as well ....anyone used it, heard of it?

As ever your suggestions please :)

Wandering Star

Morning Mike!
A product similar to the one you are talking about is 'Autoglym caravan and motorhome cleaner'. It works on both interior and exterior surfaces and can be used on virtually everything. works really well and is fairly cheap (about a tenner for a litre)
There's probably loads more, but this stuff works for me!

vwalan

aldi wash n wax .when they have it about 4 quid for 3 litres . works for me . then polish with autosmart image polish . liquid wipe on wipe off .

BigMomma

As WS says, there are lots of products out there. I tend to use 'Fenwicks' Motorhome Cleaner as it has a Mildew inhibitor in it which means that the roof does not go green when van stood for long periods :thumb: However, not used this inside the van (Fenwicks also do 'Bobby Dazzler' which is a fluid you add to your clean rinse water, it is supposed to enhance the shine but to be honest I do not find any real difference so would say don't bother . I have also used the normal car wash 'n' wax (Turtle Wax) which does a decent job as well. For inside the van, if you are talking Cupboards, floors etc then just good old Hot Water with some 'Fairy' Liquid does the job very well ;)

BwB

Funnily enough I've just come in from washing all the vehicles :)

Tried almost all the products available and in the end it doesn't really matter what car shampoo you use. The important bit is a bloody good wash, clay, wax and seal once a year. It takes me the whole day to do the moho but after that I just use any car shampoo I have to hand. Don't be tempted to use washing up liquid on the outside (it will strip any protection products you've put on the van - unless that's what you're intending).

Subsequent washes take me no time at all. I've just done a car, a transit and the moho in under an hour. Since the electricity people have renewed the overhead wiring the pigeons just love sitting up there and crapping all over the front of the overcab (which normally ricochets over my van!! Grrr) So I'm out there washing it at least once a week when I'm a home coz now the fruit is about that guano can really stain if left :mad:

chrisjones18

a life size statue of a bird of prey, such as an owl or a buzzard placed between the overcab and the pigeons should cause them pesky blighters to leave. it works if you put them under a eave of a house or on a post..

BwB

Thanks Chris, I wonder if that would work. I'd have to sit the statue on top of the overcab though as that's the only place inbetween.

Someone said shining one of those laser pens at them would frighten them so I got a nice green laser which was the highest power I could find. Pointed it at the pigeons and they just tried to peck at it. Put some old CD's on a string but that's done no good. I do have an air rifle but I couldn't keep within my boundary. I've been researching those sonic things they used to scare horses with at race meetings (a few years ago) but not had much luck. A statue might be worth a try :)

BigMomma

Go to your local garden centre and purchase one (or more if required) of those plastic windmill things on sticks ! Tie or otherwise attach stick to outside of van (on mine I could tie one to the top of the ladder) when the wind blows the windmill stuff rotates and makes a noise and scares the birds !! Only works if their is a breeze or wind though :rolleyes:

BwB

That's an interesting idea. Are they very noisy? I'm just thinking of whether I'd get lynched by the neighbours if it's going all the time?

BigMomma

Depends on how large it is :D But I am thinking of the small hand held one's, and No they do not make that much noise (I think that it is a combination of the sound and the bright colours revolving at a great rate of knots that unsettles the birds).

BwB

:thumb:

Mike7692

Thanks guys good old wash & wax it is then! We're going to Aldi/B&M home bargains on Saturday so will find something and a long handled wash broom!

Can't help with the pigeons tho.....sorry Bryan :)

Ste

I use Turtlewax wash/wax after a long tour, then once a year I spend all day applying Mer wax. For the interior I use laminate floor polish for the wood walls and floors. It stood for 3 months recently because I prolapsed a disc and we couldn't get out in it. The green algae and black streaks built up but the Mer protected it and a normal wash/wax cleaned it like new. I don't Mer the roof though! That just gets wash/waxed from a ladder propped up against it.

coolasluck

Be careful of mer it can be a bit abrasive if you are obsessed about cleaning your vehicle like i was with my kit car it can damage your paintwork i remember it broke down the laquer and then started having a go at my paintwork,it does smell nice though good enough to drink.I recently bought another bottle of autoglym i like this polish and have never had a problem with it,only thing ,is that i now dont get too much time to clean my vehicles and so hence the bottle still needs to be opened;)

Mike7692

Cheers Coola....last thing I wanna do is damage the shell! Will give it a basic wash & wax this weekend after all it is only a couple of months old :)

vwalan

keep your eyes open for an auto smart van . they really only sell to trade but they will sell if you pay cash etc . always used their gear when i had the garage .

BigMomma

Cheers Coola....last thing I wanna do is damage the shell! Will give it a basic wash & wax this weekend after all it is only a couple of months old :)
just a thought ! It is not a good idea to wax the van in strong sunshine, the polish hardens very quickly and then it's a bugger to polish. Unless you have a nice big garage to work in may be better to just do the wash (with a wax additive) and leave the waxing/polishing until later when the sun has lost it's heat in the early evening :thumb:

vwalan

thats why you need a good trade liquid polish .easy on easy off . its the way the trade do it . i say polishing its really a liquid wax .

aikidoamigo

avoid cheap ones, avoid ones with salts in them, choose ones with high solids content... I like the idea of mildew inhibitor tho.

We just had ours deep cleaned outside, clayed and then 'ceramic' coated, once per year or once every other year should keep the vehicle top notch. I was always quite obsessed with detailing and polishing when I had my bike, maybe I've just transferred that obsession to the van; but without clay bar treatment you run the risk of just swirling around all the pollutants and tiny metal shavings that are embedded in your paintwork... thats where those spiderweb tiny scratches come from (either its from there or those big tree branches and country hedges!);)

For those smokers amongst us, take the clear film wrapper from your cigarette packet... and with your fingers inside the plastic wrapper now gently go over the paintwork on the van... it will feel like sandpaper, you should be able to feel the tiny pieces of junk embedded in the paint surface:eek:

Those with DIY paintbrush finishes... ignore the last:thumb:

Mike7692

UPDATE!

I've washed the van - looks nice & shiny - cleaned inside, hoovered the carpets and most importantly cleaned out the water tanks!
I used a powder called Puriclean??? I was looking for the Elsan Water Clean Big Momma mentioned but couldn't find it - except online but I needed it for today - it worked though now we can safely drink the.water from our tank - as I presented Sue with 2 glasses one from the tap, one from the tank....suffice to say she couldn't taste a difference :) happy daze!!!

Mike

Adverts