This is going to happen, when?

Hello all,

We are looking (it is going to happen) at fulltiming and travelling the world with our 2 children, Winter 3 and Monty 7. We home educate as Monty is autistic so requires full time care despite being a happy, healthy, mobile and verbal young fellow.

We have made this decision and are committed to making it happen but we have many many questions to work through and would welcome advise and support if its available, we have been to see motorhomes at a local dealer and they are very expensive in comparison to those on eBay and similar sites, any suggestions/advice?

One of the big questions we have is the annual cost for this, we are selling our home to do it and would have a maximum budget of 25k for the motorhome really which should leave enough in the bank for 5 years of serious travel after which i should be able to draw some pensions, what are the possibilities for revenue streams when travelling? any suggestions however strange or tenuous are welcome, we have time to think, review, research so go wild!!!!

Thank you and hello from the Beesons, Dan, Rose, Monty and Winter!

Hello all,

We are looking (it is going to happen) at fulltiming and travelling the world with our 2 children, Winter 3 and Monty 7. We home educate as Monty is autistic so requires full time care despite being a happy, healthy, mobile and verbal young fellow.

We have made this decision and are committed to making it happen but we have many many questions to work through and would welcome advise and support if its available, we have been to see motorhomes at a local dealer and they are very expensive in comparison to those on eBay and similar sites, any suggestions/advice?

One of the big questions we have is the annual cost for this, we are selling our home to do it and would have a maximum budget of 25k for the motorhome really which should leave enough in the bank for 5 years of serious travel after which i should be able to draw some pensions, what are the possibilities for revenue streams when travelling? any suggestions however strange or tenuous are welcome, we have time to think, review, research so go wild!!!!

Thank you and hello from the Beesons, Dan, Rose, Monty and Winter!
Hi and welcome the Beesons
I’m just about to hit the road myself in the next few days. I would think £25k is a good figure to get a pretty good Motorhome.
I’m renting my house out so still have the property and getting an income while on the road. You will get replies with ideas to help
This is a great site so your in good hands
Happy travels good luck

BigMomma

Welcome to the forum :thumb: Can you clarify, when you say travelling the 'World', do you actually mean 'the World' and do you intend to do all this travelling in the Motorhome ? I take it you are considering the potential impact of 'Brexit' which 'may' involve restrictions to the amount of time U.K. citizens may be permitted to travel in the EU ?

vwalan

hi welcome .
remember if traveling the world there are lots to arrange before hand .
speak to your doctor about vaccinations to get etc .
international driving permits required . plus be careful about insurance etc .
border insurance will have to be got .
hopefully uk folk will be able to get prolongations for visa in eu after brexit . we could before and can in many other countries .
hardest part will be deciding what vehicle to use .
most decide a self build on a strong commercial is better for using .
but ask what ever .
have fun . cheers alan.

chrisjones18

Hi ,welcome:thumb:
A bit of a challenge you are taking on with Monty , though I'm sure he will love it .we have an 11 year old autistic grandson who is brilliant at what he focuses on now he is older ( they live in Spain now).
But a winterized motor so it works all year.
Good luck

Hi Beeson family and welcome to the forum, there's plenty of help on here. Sounds like your mind is made up so good luck from me. One point though, make sure the motorhome you choose has a hefty payload, two adults and two small children who have a habit of growing into bigger heavier children.

Hi all and thank you for your encouragement and advice.

We plan to be off within a year (sooner the better but lots to sort/sell/donate/get rid of first) and would be looking to go to Ireland first to visit family and get a hang of the motorhomes then further afield, France, Germany, Belgium, Spain etc, when we either feel ready for something more adventurous we will plan accordingly but I don't see that happening for a couple of years, as you say Alan, lots to plan and think about.

Monty is pretty easy to deal with and we have developed coping mechanisms for the rare meltdown. He doesnt do well with too much stimulus so we want to keep things to a minimum in the motorhome.

We were looking at Hymers, second hand 4 berth LHD, in the second hand private market it looks like many of the modifications we would like will have been made already, for bigger trips we would look at customs. Personally I have seem some incredible custom vans/trucks and wanted to go straight down that route but I can see the validity of starting simple and working up.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond. It's good to be here!

chrisjones18

Family in Ireland ? Is that North or South ? Could be possible that you would have a route around the 'Brexit' issue if it were a 'worst case' scenario outcome :thumb:
Eric, that's exactly what my children ( should I really call them that) have done.
They have Irish grandparents. . 2 of them live in Spain anyway so I don't know what the are panicking about

I have a brother not too far from Tipperary (sorry, I had too) in the South and have other family from my Mums in Sligo, so plenty to get going with to see how things work and plan for further afield.

BigMomma

I have a brother not too far from Tipperary (sorry, I had too) in the South and have other family from my Mums in Sligo, so plenty to get going with to see how things work and plan for further afield.
See, you are discovering solutions already :thumb: That is the way to look at any hurdles you may encounter, there are no such things as problems just solutions waiting to be discovered ;)

Hello again, its been a long time since i posted on the site and in the meantime a whole lot has happened. for starters we are now a fulltime motorhome living family and have been for a couple of weeks now. The house sold 5 weeks ago (luckily to friends so we had a couple of weeks to sort out getting the motorhome, equipping it and saying goodbyes). We left the midlands on the 11th Feb and have been to see family in London, traveled to St Malo and visited friends in Brittany, driven to the Bay of Arcachon near Bordeaux and spend a few days reliving family holidays from my youth (35 years ago to be precise). We traveled through the Pyrenees 2 days ago and are at a lovely site near Biencasa (Camping Gavin) on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees. On Tuesday we will be headed to Andorra and then down to see some friends in Catalonia followed by a trip to a little town near Malaga, this time to visit my best friend (and my best man) who is in the country for a whole 3 days. After that we plan to follow the west coast of Spain and Portugal, through Basque and then into France again on our way back to the UK for a wedding at the end of May, then Ireland for a funeral at he end o June (unfortunately the brother mentioned above). After that, back to wherever in Europe takes our fancy, however, Morocco for Xmas 2019 is the vague plan so far.

Bought a Hymer B644 in the end, 17 years old, one owner, less than 100k on the clock and plenty of added extras, she is a little rough round the edges and i have had to effect some repairs here and there but she got us through the Pyrenees in February and has happily put over a 1000 miles between us and our old lives without missing a beat so pleased so far.

Thanks again to all who encouraged and advised, it has been a whole lot simpler than I thought and more complicated than I hoped but worth every second.

Regards from Dan, Rose, Monty and Winter-Rose.

The Migratory Bees (Facebook if you are interested, i write, Rose does the social media!!!!)

Hymer B644, 2001 model. One owner from new with loads of extras (still learning what everything does), just under 100k on the clock. A bit rough around the edges but solid and have done 1000 miles so far without missing a beat.

Hello again, its been a long time since i posted on the site and in the meantime a whole lot has happened. for starters we are now a fulltime motorhome living family and have been for a couple of weeks now. The house sold 5 weeks ago (luckily to friends so we had a couple of weeks to sort out getting the motorhome, equipping it and saying goodbyes). We left the midlands on the 11th Feb and have been to see family in London, traveled to St Malo and visited friends in Brittany, driven to the Bay of Arcachon near Bordeaux and spend a few days reliving family holidays from my youth (35 years ago to be precise). We traveled through the Pyrenees 2 days ago and are at a lovely site near Biencasa (Camping Gavin) on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees. On Tuesday we will be headed to Andorra and then down to see some friends in Catalonia followed by a trip to a little town near Malaga, this time to visit my best friend (and my best man) who is in the country for a whole 3 days. After that we plan to follow the west coast of Spain and Portugal, through Basque and then into France again on our way back to the UK for a wedding at the end of May, then Ireland for a funeral at he end o June (unfortunately the brother mentioned above). After that, back to wherever in Europe takes our fancy, however, Morocco for Xmas 2019 is the vague plan so far.

Bought a Hymer B644 in the end, 17 years old, one owner, less than 100k on the clock and plenty of added extras, she is a little rough round the edges and i have had to effect some repairs here and there but she got us through the Pyrenees in February and has happily put over a 1000 miles between us and our old lives without missing a beat so pleased so far.

Thanks again to all who encouraged and advised, it has been a whole lot simpler than I thought and more complicated than I hoped but worth every second.

Regards from Dan, Rose, Monty and Winter-Rose.

The Migratory Bees (Facebook if you are interested, i write, Rose does the social media!!!!)
Hi, just catching up on your post now. May I ask how did Insurance cover work out for your full-time Motorhoming?

Adverts