The next stage

Djhobby

hi
Just signed up to get more informed about full timing .
We have an hobby toskana 750 and have been motorhoming for the last 3 yrs , some holidays in France , Germany and Holland .
Look forward to paying regular visits to the forum and learning from all .
One day the dream will become reality ......cant wait .
Regards
Jim n D

vwalan

hi welcome . what can i say other than have a look through some of the old threads ,they are full of info.
but never be afraid to ask.
you will get lots answers . mind we do think differently sometimes .
but thats life .
i dont fulltime do long term .
might have to though if the summers keep raining like this one .
had a few hot days ,but seems like alot of wet ones .
have fun . cheers alan.

BigMomma

There are lots of blogs from people who fulltime in their variety of outfits, everyone does it their own way but you can pick up some very useful information about the Countries they have visited, places to stay and some of the 'ups' and 'downs' of their travels. Just go on to google and type in Motorhome blogs and you will be provided with a lot to choose from, some old one's and some more recent :thumb:

Djhobby

hi welcome . what can i say other than have a look through some of the old threads ,they are full of info.
but never be afraid to ask.
you will get lots answers . mind we do think differently sometimes .
but thats life .
i dont fulltime do long term .
might have to though if the summers keep raining like this one .
had a few hot days ,but seems like alot of wet ones .
have fun . cheers alan.
Thanks Alan I will get reading lots to look at

Djhobby

There are lots of blogs from people who fulltime in their variety of outfits, everyone does it their own way but you can pick up some very useful information about the Countries they have visited, places to stay and some of the 'ups' and 'downs' of their travels. Just go on to google and type in Motorhome blogs and you will be provided with a lot to choose from, some old one's and some more recent :thumb:
Hi Big Momma
I have looked at a few mainly looking at costs surprisingly, but need some up to date info .
I will keep looking ,thanks

vwalan

but you can ask us anything really.
lots of things come up time and time again .
all i can say is if you watch your pennies travel can be cheap.
i,m one of the mean ones , dont use campsites ,dont use restaurants or bars . take food from uk that i know is cheaper than abroad .
mind bring some things from abroad . no point in paying uk prices for wine and beer.
always been watching pennies . but dont actually save , buy toys etc instead.

BigMomma

Hi Big Momma
I have looked at a few mainly looking at costs surprisingly, but need some up to date info .
I will keep looking ,thanks
I have produced some costing from a couple of trips, they are in my blog posts. I know that some other's have published their Costs as well. Is their anything in particular or are you looking at the whole cost ?

It will depend very much on how 'You' want to do it, I wanted to ensure that I had enough to make choices of when I used 'free camping' locations, Aires or Campsites. It depends too on how much travelling (mileage) you want to do, fuel costs and LPG (GPL or Autogas it's called in Europe), do you use exchangeable bottles or do you have a system like 'Gaslow' (other brands are available). What sort of lifestyle do you like ? These are the things that will determine your overall costs/budget. We did not live the 5* Michelin lifestyle but neither did we scrimp and scrape, we did not find it overly expensive. However, we could, as many do quite happily, have done it more economically.

If there are questions you would rather ask less publically, of anyone on the forum, then use the Private Message (PM) system. :thumb:

vwalan

spanish gas cepsa last winter varied from 11.80 -15.84 euro,s i used 4 bottles plus half a 19kg flogas . did 2800miles and spent743.11 pounds on diesel. that was at about 16 mpg.
food , beer ,gas and a few gallons of petrol for m,bike spent 396 pounds ferry was about 500 quid and i took about 200 pounds worth of food from uk. total about 1800 quid . that was for 1 person .
winter before cost about1500 pounds . but got 1.39 to the pound that year . last winter only 1.10 to the pound .
mind that didnt include beer /wine to bring home or the last fuel fill , mind i filled just before catching the ferry and went out with just enough to get to the garage in spain .
there are a few truck fill up placers on industrial estates abroad that sell diesel at good prices . mind you do have to look on ind est to find them .
but there are cash n carry places for cheaper food etc as well if your lucky.
we play the game of how little can you spend in a foreign country but still have a good time .
based on 24 weeks travel. it is getting dearer over there though. hee hee.

Djhobby

Hi
Thanks for the info .
I do have lpg and solar , not too bothered by drinking out in bars etc .
Nice glass of something outside in the evening is fine , we don't eat out a lot tend to buy fresh produce and cook in the van .
Just keep it simple , walking , sight seeing or cycling .
I suppose the only test I can draw on was 2 years ago we did 15 nights in France and spent 36 euro on aires , the last two nights in la touquet @ 13 e per night ! Which I thought was a result really .
Costs over the year are what interests me ,Alan's figures are quite interesting and would be similar to our mode of thinking .
But I suppose you learn as you go and there is always information out there to help your budget stretch even further.
I will have a look at your blog posts to help me get some ideas ,thanks again to you all . Jim
I have produced some costing from a couple of trips, they are in my blog posts. I know that some other's have published their Costs as well. Is their anything in particular or are you looking at the whole cost ?

It will depend very much on how 'You' want to do it, I wanted to ensure that I had enough to make choices of when I used 'free camping' locations, Aires or Campsites. It depends too on how much travelling (mileage) you want to do, fuel costs and LPG (GPL or Autogas it's called in Europe), do you use exchangeable bottles or do you have a system like 'Gaslow' (other brands are available). What sort of lifestyle do you like ? These are the things that will determine your overall costs/budget. We did not live the 5* Michelin lifestyle but neither did we scrimp and scrape, we did not find it overly expensive. However, we could, as many do quite happily, have done it more economically.

If there are questions you would rather ask less publically, of anyone on the forum, then use the Private Message (PM) system. :thumb:

vwalan

i do have just about every reciept spent on our travels the last few winters .
i like looking back and pricing things .
bob my mate bakes his own bread every three days . he likes doing it . i do buy sliced pan de molde in spain . i can live with it . but we cook what ever. like i said how little can you spend means toys like m,bikes or something .
its not always about saving but not having to earn it . more time to play.

BigMomma

Even though we have incomes, we too, even now whilst working play the game, we can go out and not feel the need to spend and although at present we do not have to work to a strict budget, we still do, as if we were 'on the road'. When we were travelling we cooked our own meals, Sharon baked bread and cakes, however, on occasions, as a break from cooking, washing up etc. and having not spent anything for several days, we would treat ourselves to a 'Menu del Dia', not bad value, generally three courses with drinks for between €15-20. It isn't always about spending or even saving money, more about enjoying yourself and people do that in different ways ;)

sundowners

To be honest, I think you should regard VWAlan's overall winter spend as more of a target than what you will realistically spend!!!!!!!!--------we used to travel like that, but now enjoy a regular plate of the day (prata de dia) in Portugal) ----- our target price is €7 a head for a complete menu, plus, we enjoy a little interaction with the locals. We still look for the best value we can get but really enjoy the qualities of the country we are in, otherwise we may as well stay in UK and get budget fish & chips and full English breakfast!!!!.
Everyone has to decide the best for their budget and desires while travelling, we are lucky as we have simple lives and are very satisfied with simple things.

coolasluck

In our experience you can live cheaply without compromising the taste of your food and drink. The vehicle and repairs are what can ruin a really good year though with repair bills as we have found out this year. We never hardly ate out in the u.k when we had our house and so we don't do bars and restaurants abroad either. We are young though so we do have to watch our pennies. Surprisingly over the 2 years of being in Spain and Portugal we have found that they do seem to be cheaper than the u.k. We do though stock up before going. We personally don't like some of what Alan has and can do without his pandamolde bread and dog food luncheon meat.
I also like my fresh milk .

coolasluck

The smilies have gone on strike I think.

vwalan

still got one mortadella pack here . my lad had a few packs . its spanish kind of luncheon meat but nicer . works out about 1.50 quid a kg so its very cheap.
we call it dog meat as it comes in plastic tubes .rolls like dog meat used to. but as you eat it you have to sing spam,spam,,,,,,,,,,, you know the rest.
lidl pan de molde is ok. but at 95 cents far dearer than lidl or aldi sliced bread in uk.
aldi are only 35 p a loaf . mind lidl is tastier again 35p if they have any.
lidl seem best at moment for tinned sardines 37p asda were 34p but seem to not stock that one anymore .
soon be stocked up ready for winter. might go earlier this year. getting fed up of this weather. getting cold almost like autumn already.

Djhobby

Yes I think my wife is very resourceful and tends to make meals out of whatever is about she is very good when we travel and will stock up a little but enjoys using fresh local produce when she can .
She can't understand why I keep going on about the costs she just says it's got to be cheaper than running a house .
As we are only renting since we came back from living abroad not a lot to dispose of really a little for storage maybe .
But the idea is to enjoy the experience eat well and see the world obviously keeping an eye on the cost .

vwalan

i think running a house can be cheaper than using campsites . so long as theres no mortgage and its paid for .
but if your renting then it will be more .
i find the veg in spain not as good as uk , they sell the best to uk and northern eu.
potatoes can be poor quality . carrots go black very quick. but some times peppers , tomatoes and oranges can be free . depends when ,where you are .
i find food as gone up abroad . not exactly life changing but a few quid here and there lets me have extra beer etc . for free.
gotta give it a try . it suits many.
i cheat only long term.
but have fun .

BigMomma

It is cheaper living on the road in your van than the costs of living in a 'conventional' house. However, you still have to be financially savvy ;) Once upon a time the occasional 'campsite' stops were to avail yourselves of Laundry facilities and to stand under a shower with lashings of hot water that you didn't have to worry about how much you were using or to use a toilet where at the pull of a handle everything flushed away and you didn't have to think about the emptying of a cassette tank. These days, a lot of Aires now provide these facilities and at much less cost than a campsite.

The downside is not necessarily the finances, although as Coola has said, unexpected repairs can be a drain on your budget if you haven't accounted for them in your planning. With more and more people seeming to want to escape conventional lifestyles, Aires are getting busier, Wildcamping locations getting more regulated and prohibitive which means being on the move more frequently. In Winter the choices of where you can go, unless you like the cold, are limited, which means that each year it's back to the same locations, which is not a bad thing as you tend to meet up with fellow traveller's again, so that it can be quite social, or, it can get to be a bit 'same old, same old'

That is why the travelling life doesn't suit everybody. However, Winter is only really four months, Spring and Autumn can be good for seeing other parts of Europe and even Winter travelling and visiting Christmas Markets can be great fun. Most vans have some form of heating :thumb:

There are no real perfect answers or solutions as everyone is different, the best way of discovering if it is right for you is to go and try it, don't burn all your bridges all at once, just in case :eek:

Brexit and the impact on the 'potential' time restrictions on travel in EU is the thing I am watching, unfortunately, that is something we may not know until nearer March 2019 !! The availability of space on Aires and Wildcamping limitations are one thing, imagine what the UK will be like if many UK Motorhomes have to spend 6 months back in Britain each year !! :wasntme:

vwalan

but if the winter traveller ones cant get away they possibly wont be out in their m,homes here in uk in winter.
spring and autumn might be more m,homes around . but that should be good as they wont be spending their cash abroad but spending it in uk. gotta be good for the uk.
if your house is payed for rates and insurance can be less thasn 35 quid a week . less if on the lower rates scale . hard to find camping for less.

chrisjones18

mortadella---- had to google it as I thought it must be dog food.... Italian pig neck fat just about sums it up, from Bologna. Spanish stuff is called Catalana .... doubt if I would intentionally buy it.

I thought it was my wife that spent all the money on eating out, turns out it's me ----arghhhhh.
now she has gone on an economy drive , does like staying in a small field like a CL type and looks for £7 a night stuff. though we have booked a couple of sites to take the grandchildren away, one is in Cornwall so I best keep Alan away or he will want to eat them.
only cost I have checked is the fuel and try to get 25mpg out of it. I have been told i need to cut down on a lot more on eating out... doh.

house insurance---- if you tell Tesco Insurance your house will be empty for more than 60 days and ask "can I increase the time/days" they will not renew your policy when its up for renewal. they said it was not them but the underwriters. it made no difference dropping the contents cover from the policy.

Adverts