Tell me

Digitalimager

You are all out there doing it. I and many others, judging by the many questions raised, are having great difficulty trying to arrange insurance. I haven't seen one definitive, clear reply yet to to the simple question; "Who will insure a full timer?". In an older home, please. PLEASE. WHO?
Anyone?

fanofatan

fanofatan

settle down big boy!
After posting on this thread, I noticed on the other thread about insurance you tried Comfort, you answered in that thread that Comfort wouldn't entertain your old camper
speak to some of the full timers on You Tube, 'lost in europe' 'project amber' 'gadjet John' 'Greg Virgoe' they are all full timing

BigMomma

I do not know all people's personal circumstances, but I would hazard a guess that not all 'Fulltimers' declare to their Insurers that they are fulltiming, but this is partially speculation on my part, and partially, based on conversations I have had with some fulltimers. Some get around it by keeping a property and being on the Electoral role, whether they rent it out. You have to understand it from the Insurers perspective, they are in business not as a charitable society but to make money, so if their is a high risk of a likelihood of having to 'pay out' then they will not accept that risk. Unlike myself, with no technical or mechanical skills, many fulltimers are quite proficient when it comes to dealing with 'problems' with their vehicles that arise whilst out 'on the road', so unless it is a claim for a 'total loss' of vehicle and contents then they are prepared to take the risk of not declaring all 'material facts' to their Insurers and pay the lower 'annual premiums'.

Once we are out of the EU, after the 'transition period' the same may apply to obtaining 'Medical and Travel' cover once the EHIC is no longer valid, so people who are of a certain age, or who have some pre-existing medical conditions, may also find that the cost of obtaining cover may increase significantly.

I think it will also be interesting to see if coming out of the 'EU' has any significant impact on the number of 'Fulltimers', who do not want to travel to places like Morocco or further afield, or even other Eastern bloc countries that are not within the Schengen Area, have on the UK. Although there are many 'Wildcamping' and 'Free Camping' opportunities within the UK it is not as big as the EU, and a high proportion of fulltimers do not want to book on to Campsites for long periods, for whatever their reasons, so if many are forced to come back due to the 90 day restrictions in the EU, it may significantly impact on those opportunities and areas that currently exist with the UK. What often surprises me when I speak to some UK fulltimers is that many voted, in the Referendum, to 'Leave' but had not thought about the impact it would have on their travel 'lifestyles' ?

So I know that this does not answer the question about 'Who will Insure for fulltiming', but it just goes to show that giving up 'Conventional' living and riding off into the sunset in a Motorhome is not quite as straightforward as it may first appear.

Digitalimager

Thanks once again for your detailed reply. You have confirmed my thinking. It’s a tough decision; what to do for the best.

BigMomma

There are a lot of things to consider when thinking about fulltiming and it will depend on your personal circumstances, financial and health. The age of your vehicle is not an issue, provided that it is sound, both from a mechanical and structural point of view and that, if you are planning on living 'off grid' for extended periods of time, that it is set up right as far as energy requirements, insulation etc. are concerned. It also depends on how far you are prepared to travel, it isn't much fun being enclosed in a small space for days or even weeks at a time when it is cold or wet so that is why a lot of people choose to chase the sun during the UK's colder periods. However, it is possible, if you have the finances, to find CL's or CS's (same things just called something different dependent on which UK based Camping Club you join), that provide Electric Hook Up's and are much cheaper than the fully fledged Campsites which have all the facilities.

So it is not impossible to go fulltiming, although, as you are discovering, there are things that do need to be considered and hurdles that need solutions.

If finances are not a major consideration e.g. Using Campsites or CL's on a regular basis then with a bit of advance planning, and pre-booking, combing 'off grid' camping when the weather permits and using 'facilities' when required, can make it a decent lifestyle.

What makes it a harder experience is if the vehicle you use as your fulltime home is not reliable, or equipped for the job, and/or finances are limited. I have seen people, all over Europe, living fulltime in a vast array of vehicles, from the smallest to some big monsters, from old to new, it is more about 'Why' you want to do this, what you are capable of putting up with, and how adaptable you are, so a good mind set is key.

chrisjones18

Eric is right about a small space in the uk winter for 2 or more people.
It's the rain, this year has been very wet ,for me its horrendous as it plays hell with my arthritis....
We have been on campsites for most of the winter with costs varying from £7 to £14 a night.with facility's including indoor pool and jacuzzi... so that helped even though the dogs couldn't use it.

BigMomma

We are in Spain and for the past few days it has not been nice, one day we had a hell of a mist followed by two drizzly, overcast days, so if you are reliant on Solar, by now, without a backup power source you would probably be struggling a bit, quite cold as well !! Do not know what is going on with the weather down here this year :rolleyes:

vwalan

hi, i say best to have gas lights .gas for heating with no electric needed and at least two burner and grill for cooking.
use a pressure cooker for many things and you can make a bread in a pressure cooker. https://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-Bread-Anywhere%3a-%22Baking%22-bread-in-a-pressure-/
hope that works.
lots never use campsites,airres or any of the stop for night guides.
there are thousands of places every where ,in uk and abroad. just avoid the tourist trap areas.
mind some times you can find really nice places that hardly get used in the tourist areas. always worth a look .
just drive slowly enjoy the scenery nd avoid motorways busy roads and best use a map and compass not a sat nav. after all do you want to be told what to do all the time. hee hee

Adverts