summer holidays .

chrisjones18

so where are you all going for your winter holidays?
That's a tough one to answer , but xmas day in the uk and new years day somewhere on the west coast of France , then on down to bottom of Spain to see family until the 90 day runs out.
No plan after that...
Are you staying in Cornwall?

vwalan

well in the west country .
these days i have found it good fun to revisit places that i havnt been around here for years.
sometimes just parkup in the wilds then take the little m,bike for adventure ride outs .
avoid most of the tourist areas and just visit local interesting villages etc.
mind i do visit newquay /perranporth then up the coast to padstow frequently . i like that as a day out.
might not go visiting eu countries anymore . find them getting too expensive these days.

vwalan

good morning to all.
are you all having fun and are you away on holidays?
hope the sun is shining where ever you are.

Willum

Not exactly 'having fun', Al, it's peeing down and windy and cold here.:( In the wilds of Naarfok and Suffolk for a week or two, then back up north towards Thirsk for a while.
The only dodgy bit is the idiot fuel panic buyers. Most of the local fuel stations are BP and only 1 in 4 seem to have fuel.
We'll see how things progress before heading to southern Europe for a bit of winter sun and warmth. Pat's COPD makes us a bit wary on the medical front, now the EHIC is virtually useless and in any case, going nowhere near Europe until we've had the boosters.

vwalan

i,m sure the fuel problem is not so many going abroad with empty tanks then coming back full etc, and lots food being bought here now in uk is really why there is shortages . plus as many havnt gone abroad but traveling in uk using extra fuel etc.
it makes sense for many of the shortages.
covid ,brexit etc together
lots places have been a lot busier here in uk as folk get about.
dare say going abroad will get less and less as time goes by.

BigMomma

Pat's COPD makes us a bit wary on the medical front, now the EHIC is virtually useless and in any case, going nowhere near Europe until we've had the boosters.
Have you got the new GHIC Cards which replaced the EHIC, do the same thing just called a different name

BigMomma

i,m sure the fuel problem is not so many going abroad with empty tanks then coming back full etc, and lots food being bought here now in uk is really why there is shortages . plus as many havnt gone abroad but traveling in uk using extra fuel etc.
it makes sense for many of the shortages.
covid ,brexit etc together
lots places have been a lot busier here in uk as folk get about.
dare say going abroad will get less and less as time goes by.
Think you will find the fuel shortage was brought about initially by the media, who reported that there was going to be a shortage of fuel, when in fact, at that time, it was only BP that had a minor problem with shortage of tanker drivers, everybody else was okay. That caused the idiots to go out and panic buy, that panic buying created the shortage. The Haulier companies used that as an excuse to blame Brexit for the shortage of HGV drivers and to push for the foreign Visas, it was a smokescreen as whilst their is a shortage of drivers, this is not all down to either Brexit or indeed Covid. As for less going abroad, taking a look at many of the other Motorhome Forums, many have already pre-booked ferries for 2022, their is a way to get a Tourist Visa for France (6 or 12 months) which many are now applying successfully for. It will be business as normal next year and now, due to the successful CAMpRA Campaign, there are also a lot more ‘U.K.’ Aires type facilities and it is growing rapidly and a lot of Councils are now on board. It will not be the same as the European ‘Aires’ facilities, but it is a start :thumb:

Willum

Have you got the new GHIC Cards which replaced the EHIC, do the same thing just called a different name
We haven't got the GHICs yet, the EHICs are still valid and from my understanding will give the same cover as a GHIC until they expire - a lot less than previously. Insurance is the only way around it. It's not a cheap exercise and yet another Brexit-induced nonsense.
Couldn't agree more about the fuel crisis. Idiot panic buyers. My nephew needs his car for work, joined the inevitable queue at one of the local fuel stations, got to the pump and started to take his allowed £15 ration. The donkey in front of him managed to squeeze £1.53 into his already full tank before the auto cut-off refused to release any more. I don't know how BP got themselves in this mess but that certainly appears to be the root of it all and once the media and Facebook/Twitter idiots get hold of it, the ensuing chaos is guaranteed.
With regard to 'aires' in the UK: I've seen a couple of forward thinking local councils in Scotland who are really trying hard to do something, even purpose built service points and toilets.
On the other hand, Lincolnshire County Council, doubtless spurred on by the myriad coastal caravan and mobile home site owners, are doing the exact opposite. They have just banned ALL overnight parking in any of their car parks and banned ALL vehicles over 6 metres from parking at ANY time. :devil: From what I can find out, there are either very few or no dedicated motorhome parking slots anywhere in any Lincolnshire car park
What a bunch of inward looking, self serving clowns.
This, by the way, is the same council who, at the absolute height of the Covid crisis, responded to the self same caravan and mobile home park owners whinging about loss of profit by lifting all the rules regarding duration of occupancy. The great unwashed flooded in and the Covid rate went through the roof.
Well done!
There is one enterprising local company of auctioneers who have decided to open a motorhome aire.
It is a chance to park on part of the concrete slab of the quite busy local cattle and livestock market, along with all the attendant noise and smells. For the night, with a fresh water tap and a drain to tip grey water into - no black water/loo disposal - it's the giveaway price of £10 ..................
I'm sad to say that in England at least, anything approaching what we know as a European aire will be a long time coming and if all the EU realises that the 90 day restriction is an opportunity lost, most of us clear off to Europe for months and months, the UK market is flooded with unused motorhomes, it will never take off.
Sorry to be a Jonah, Eric. I've written to the chairman of our (East Lindsey) local council who actually responded with something a good deal better than the usual waffle - but the County Council are unlikely to do anything other than impose more restrictions and leave it to 'local enterprise'.

EDIT: Forgot to ask: have you any reference to the French Tourist Visa? I'm all ears ............ and not a lot to do in this currently rather soggy Norfolk hideaway ...................

vwalan

france can be too cold and wet in winter .
remember airres in france only started because camper vans and moor homes werent allowed in campsites years ago.
took alot of m,home users , builders , clubs etc to get the french powers to get airres arranged.
they were really only carparks around railway stations , or post offices etc that had toilets etc to start with. or sports ground carparks.
mind airres arent good they are full of camping club etc members putting out chairs ,tables ,awnings etc .
the rules of nothing outside the van broken all the time.
anyway eu is expensive for food etc these days best not go there.
lets hope a ferry to morocco will start soon.

BigMomma

But that is the beauty of this French Tourist Visa, you still get your 90 days elsewhere within the EU, the only stipulation being that you have to enter/exit via France at the start and end of the Visa duration. So enter EU via a different Country and have your 90 days in Schengen Zone, go into France afterwards and use Tourist Visa Allowance for as long as it lasts or shorter if required, then after 90 days you can go back into Schengen zone again :thumb: I always knew that someone would find a way around the ‘Brexit’ crap it just took a bit longer than I thought it would ;) You seem to blame ‘all’ camping activities on the Brit Motorhomers, perhaps you need to go and take a look, almost every Nationality does it:D French, German, Dutch, Belgians. You keep waffling on about how expensive food is in EU, firstly, at least they have food on their supermarket shelves:giggle: and secondly, we have been spending the last 8 years between UK and Spain, no significant difference between the two, unless all you want are UK brands then you get what you deserve. Don’t hold your breath on the UK-Morocco ferry, just like the UK-Portugal Ferry, would be good if they ever materialised but cannot see it in the near future :wasntme:

Dunroamin

But that is the beauty of this French Tourist Visa, you still get your 90 days elsewhere within the EU, the only stipulation being that you have to enter/exit via France at the start and end of the Visa duration. So enter EU via a different Country and have your 90 days in Schengen Zone, go into France afterwards and use Tourist Visa Allowance for as long as it lasts or shorter if required, then after 90 days you can go back into Schengen zone again :thumb: I always knew that someone would find a way around the ‘Brexit’ crap it just took a bit longer than I thought it would ;) You seem to blame ‘all’ camping activities on the Brit Motorhomers, perhaps you need to go and take a look, almost every Nationality does it:D French, German, Dutch, Belgians. You keep waffling on about how expensive food is in EU, firstly, at least they have food on their supermarket shelves:giggle: and secondly, we have been spending the last 8 years between UK and Spain, no significant difference between the two, unless all you want are UK brands then you get what you deserve. Don’t hold your breath on the UK-Morocco ferry, just like the UK-Portugal Ferry, would be good if they ever materialised but cannot see it in the near future :wasntme:

vwalan

i dont look for uk brands or makes when away.
but have noticed food clothes etc have certainly got dearer in the eu.
used to be get over and buy shoes clothes etc lots food then come back to uk.
its changed. even fuel is getting more expensive over there.
i can only say in about 196 350 pesetas to the pound ,in 2000 about 250. also 1.65 euro to the pound . now how many euro for a quid. could say we have lost almost 2thirds of our value.
but never mind the weather can be nicer in spain .
i know there was plans for a ferry to maroc or at least there was talk of it last time i was in maroc.
lets hope it happens.
nice and sunny here at moment but was heavy rain this morning for awhile.
yes every country has messy motor homers , i only use camping club as a general term.
most do seem to fit that term though.
have a nice one .
bet its nice in spain now.

Dunroamin

Supermarket shelves are full. Diesel at the pumps. Meat and veg cheap. Sun is shining. Been here 2 years now no probs. Stuff brexit. Borris will go down in history as the man who took the Great out of Great Britain!

BigMomma

EDIT: Forgot to ask: have you any reference to the French Tourist Visa? I'm all ears ............ and not a lot to do in this currently rather soggy Norfolk hideaway ...................
[/QUOTE]

Have PM’d you :thumb:

chrisjones18

If you have the money there is this option.
There are 4 ferry routes operating between France and Morocco offering you combined total of 6 sailings per week. Balearia operates 2 routes, Sete to Nador runs 2 times per week & Sete to Al Hoceima about 1 time weekly. Grandi Navi Veloci operates 2 routes, Sete to Nador runs 1 time per week & Sete to Tangier Med about 1 time weekly. La Meridionale operates 1 route, Marseille to Tangier Med which runs 1 time weekly

Eric, the french visa looks to be an option. I still cant talk Sally into North Africa. Tunnel on 29th Dec looking good.

BigMomma

Without meaning to be offensive Allan, I think it is about time you stopped living in the past, the world has moved on, values of currencies have changed globally not just UK and EU, even 6 years ago we were getting 1.35 Euro to the £, now it’s 1.14. We shop every week here in Spain, Supermarkets, Local Shops and street markets and we also shop in the UK for 6 months of the year, I can tell you that there is no significant difference, unless, as I say, you only want your UK products then you will pay through the nose for them. As for clothes, not something we routinely buy but like UK, you pick and choose where you purchase from. Fuel is getting more costly almost everywhere, not just UK and not just EU, in fact it is still pretty cheap I gather in Bulgaria at around 70p Litre. When was the last time you were in Morocco ? And it still hasn’t happened, that should tell you something. Bit cooler over here in the mornings now, only about 19 degrees(c) before the sun gets up but then around 25-27 degrees(c), we spend a lot of time on the beach :thumb:

BigMomma

If you have the money there is this option.
There are 4 ferry routes operating between France and Morocco offering you combined total of 6 sailings per week. Balearia operates 2 routes, Sete to Nador runs 2 times per week & Sete to Al Hoceima about 1 time weekly. Grandi Navi Veloci operates 2 routes, Sete to Nador runs 1 time per week & Sete to Tangier Med about 1 time weekly. La Meridionale operates 1 route, Marseille to Tangier Med which runs 1 time weekly

Eric, the french visa looks to be an option. I still cant talk Sally into North Africa. Tunnel on 29th Dec looking good.
We have to come back to the UK this time around, will be back here in Spain mid-January but looking at the French Visa option ourselves for future travels, could get 15 months in EU if planned correctly ;)

wanderlust51

thought it was just another of god,s ways of cutting the population on the world.
get rid of 50% of folk and the world might become a nicer place again.
less power required ,
less food required .
let nature have rest and it will be lovely for the next generations.
lets hope we live for many years and see just how it all becomes.
never know might end up really nice.
Don’t think god has anything to do with it Alan

vwalan

mind do you or should we blame him for earth quakes etc etc ?
volcanoes etc who do we blame then.
never mind smile it might be nice tomorrow.

wanderlust51

Hope so Al
how you doing
Well I expect God will sort it all out in the end
but until that day comes the evil bastards will push the
Energy crisis
Food crisis (if you like meat)
Jibby jab
And every other excuse to force the Credit System upon us
I am not fussed on this new normal
Far too many motorhomes about

Adverts