summer holiday

AllieOnelo

New Member
к сожалению расстилавшею корону


Mmquh7oQ
 

Willum

Active Member
Well that was an experience!
Three weeks touring Scotland, catching up with family and friends, average of one day's sunshine per week, a few Covidiots - and a big, 140aH habitation battery that exploded. Acid and crap to clean up and a new battery to fit. Then the turbo decided to have a few moments with the control unit appearing to have taken the 'ump every now and then, so crawling up hills on about half power.
Back home to blazing sunshine and grass and weeds to the knees.
Still, we enjoyed it - well most of it. Still trying to get the stains out of underwear after the horrendous bang from the battery.
 

BigMomma

Well-Known Member
:eek::whew: Buy some new underwear, those stains will take forever to remove by the sounds of what happened !! Glad you remained safe though, exploding batteries can cause fires :wasntme:
 

Willum

Active Member
It was a very rude awakening from sitting, watching the F1GP rerun. We had turned the front seats and Pat was about to put her feet up on the bench seat where the battery is housed.
The bang was like a shotgun being let off in the motorhome and there was a cloud of acrid smoke. I grabbed the extinguisher, all the CO and smoke alarms were howling and we opened every window and door and turned off everything, even unplugged the EHU, even though there's an isolator.
The smoke cleared, so reasoned there was no fire and carefully lifted the seat. The top of the battery was blown off, not the sides burst (probably 'cos it was a Varta and well built) so the acid spill was bad but could have been much, much worse.
I donned glasses, a face mask and the big rubber gloves I use for the loo and mopped up the acid with lots and lots of water and then a strong bicarbonate of soda solution. Repeated that exercise a few times, including a mist with a washing soda solution everywhere that showed splashes. It took a lot of care and grunting (39Kg battery) to get the wreckage out from under the seat without spilling more acid. There were two inch-wide braided straps holding the battery in and the force had shattered both of the buckles on them. The rest of the upward thrust of the battery lid was taken by the hardwood seat rail, so I guess that saved us a lot more damage. Frankia hardwood seat rails turn red when you get sulphuric acid on them. :(

It left us without power, so I jury rigged the new starter battery I'd just bought (another story :think:) and everything returned to normal - ish!

The irony was that when all the panic had stopped, we'd disconnected everything we could above the battery box and made sure there were no fires - the telly was still happily showing the GP. It's 12 volt and the battery was still producing 11.5 volts without a top on it!! :eek::eek:

It would appear that even though the battery was vented outside the motorhome, there's still a significant amount of gas inside the battery and if the battery fails and shorts internally, the result is pretty catastrophic. Ours could have been much worse than it was.

The thing I've learned from that little episode is that if your battery starts showing abnormal charge current for no sensible reason, turn it off, isolate it completely, don't use it until you know why ;)
 

AllieOnelo

New Member
а вернее сказать размахайки правилните


akqWgXPk
 

chrisjones18

Well-Known Member
Glad your both ok after that ordeal....
Been there got the t-shirt and iconically it was also in Scotland .
One battery out of two exploded on my Transcontinental, I thought it was a blowout...... took the top off along with the battery box.
That must have been some noise inside.
Never been to Scotland without rain and kamakasi midges. Loverly country though.
We are trundling over towards Norfolk for a little trip before hospital appointments for both of us.....we are fine ,just checks for Sally and they hope to put my feet right.....we'll see
 

Dunroamin

Well-Known Member
batteries dont explode without a reason i.e abnormal load. Inverter.microwave etc.Can either of you give us a clue as to why ? What kind of charger is normally fitted in a moho ? Voltage controlled or intelligent.
 

chrisjones18

Well-Known Member
batteries dont explode without a reason i.e abnormal load. Inverter.microwave etc.Can either of you give us a clue as to why ? What kind of charger is normally fitted in a moho ? Voltage controlled or intelligent.
No idea whatsoever why mine went bang, I just fitted a new one the next day after driving from Scotland to South Wales with the exploded one disconnected... everything was working. It was a long time back....
 

Willum

Active Member
batteries dont explode without a reason i.e abnormal load. Inverter.microwave etc.Can either of you give us a clue as to why ? What kind of charger is normally fitted in a moho ? Voltage controlled or intelligent.
It appears mine had probably developed an internal short. I've no real idea how old the battery was (a Varta LFD140) before it blew. It was properly vented to the outside (thank heaven, or who knows how much more damage might have happened) it only had a rarely used 400 watt inverter, no big loads, microwave, or anything of that sort but we had seen a few odd charge indications. The only reason I knew anything about it was because I'd fitted a solar charger with a shunt wired load monitor and ammeter as part of it. The original installation only has a voltmeter. Every so often over the previous few days I noticed a briefly higher than expected charging current, no reason, no charger fault, no solar reg fault, no short circuits, nowt! There had also been one instance of a fairly rapid drop in voltage.
The irony is that after seeing the unusual ammeter readings and beginning to get suspicious of it's state, I'd decided to replace it, tracked down a new one (not easy) then, Sod's Law, the night before I was due to pick the new one up, Bang!
The only thing I do know about the motorhome is that it had a less than easy life before we bought it two years ago and there was much evidence of hammer and chisel maintenance. The charger is part of a Schaudt EBL 264-9 unit with a 'IUoU' charging profile which is reckoned to be the best possible. I guess you'd call it intelligent when you read the description of how it goes about sampling and charging the battery.
Although a small part of The EBL had been damaged by a fridge fault, a substantial and more robust workaround has been installed for that part. The charging side was/is unaffected and working properly.
One thing is for certain. Since I replaced the battery, there have been no more unexplained charging indications - and you can well imagine I've been watching it like a hawk...................
 

Adverts

Top