summer holiday

vwalan

so are you all getting ready to be off some where.
never know i might go into england for a trip around.
might just stay here in kernow .
not sure if i have to have a covid jab etc to go up into england .
lots will be coming down here i think.
will be like old times when northerners came down and spent all their savings on a holiday in cornwall.
have fun and enjoy the summer what ever you do.

BigMomma

Lot depends on wether Wales open up their borders to the English :wasntme: We have a North Wales road trip planned starting on 19th April and finishing mid-July, then, subject to foreign travel rules, back to Spain for 90 days coming back in October and ready for a 90 day trip somewhere in UK, maybe do the West Ireland Coastal route, back to mainland to spend Christmas and New Year then back to Europe early New Year:thumb:

vwalan

been ok down here today.
started a bit chilly then out came the sun.
was great then and nice and warm.
nice m,bike riding afternoon.
lets hope its here for months ,keep fingers crossed.
never know global warming might bring us summer all year round.
so long as it doesnt bring the snow on the hills like it does in spain and morocco in winter.

chrisjones18

Summer all year in the UK, more like the ice age :D
We have had the last 2 winters in the UK and I don't fancy another one.
Though covid is still everywhere , so going over the English Channel doesn't look like happening anytime soon.
We are looking forward to some sunshine though.
If we can't find any I'm going to follow Eric about because his photos over the last couple of years on his blog are always in the sun :rofl: we just find the rain and midges

vwalan

its not summer all year in the uk ,but its nice when spring starts to happen.
not every where in spain etc is it nice in winter .
be on the med coast even right down south and see snow covered hills inland. always worth a drive up just to see it and then drive back to the coast.
as a kid we used to visit spain and portugal in winter and the spanish taught me that the rain in spain is mainly in portugal. still does it even 60yrs later.
i like portugal but novenmber can be very wet and in february it rains again . once had seven weeks continues rain a few years ago .
nice going up by the portugese border but stay in spain.
i do like it along the very north coast of spain but can be cold along the coast de morte etc

Willum

its not summer all year in the uk ,but its nice when spring starts to happen.
not every where in spain etc is it nice in winter .
be on the med coast even right down south and see snow covered hills inland. always worth a drive up just to see it and then drive back to the coast.
as a kid we used to visit spain and portugal in winter and the spanish taught me that the rain in spain is mainly in portugal. still does it even 60yrs later.
i like portugal but novenmber can be very wet and in february it rains again . once had seven weeks continues rain a few years ago .
nice going up by the portugese border but stay in spain.
i do like it along the very north coast of spain but can be cold along the coast de morte etc
I see even the head of Visit Cornwall is starting to winge that too many people are asking that better, simpler, cheaper facilities be made available for motorhomers. Must be difficult for him and my heart bleeds - not!.
From his comments, he's certainly not going to do anything to help us and seems to want everyone to go onto campsites, or book hotels, or B&Bs. As ever, we are considered to be the bottom of the poo pile in the UK.
Scotland looks set to ban all wild camping as well - but it's not Visit Scotland driving it, just the usual NIMBYs.
Perhaps I should have taken Portuguese residency and bought the little house I looked at all those years ago,.

vwalan

it is getting that we live in a world we no longer fit into.
but where do we go?
seems like every where was glad to see m,homes in the past but now want high spenders and not us.
mind i like it here, nearly bought a house in brittany twenty years ago but decided it could still be a bit cold in winter so would have to go south.
also family in uk would mean we might have to keep returning to uk .
i decided just stay here ,get away when i wanted and have a simple base to come back to.
lots nice ride outs to go on been out three times this week , not far but nice and slow on my monkey bike enjoying the country side.
lots of folk live in campers if you look in the country lots of sneaky hide aways and water available etc.
have fun smile and be happy. every where has faults and good points to see.

BigMomma

I see even the head of Visit Cornwall is starting to winge that too many people are asking that better, simpler, cheaper facilities be made available for motorhomers. Must be difficult for him and my heart bleeds - not!.
From his comments, he's certainly not going to do anything to help us and seems to want everyone to go onto campsites, or book hotels, or B&Bs. As ever, we are considered to be the bottom of the poo pile in the UK.
Scotland looks set to ban all wild camping as well - but it's not Visit Scotland driving it, just the usual NIMBYs.
Perhaps I should have taken Portuguese residency and bought the little house I looked at all those years ago,.
I actually think that the UK is beginning to realise what Europe and other Countries realised many many years ago, that Vanlifers can actually boost local economies. The CAMPRA organisation has really been pushing Councils, Tourist and Hospitality Sectors to look at providing facilities, not park ups per say more places to empty waste and fill up with fresh water and the results are looking positive :thumb: About time some may say, but let us make sure that we do not spoil things for ourselves;)

BigMomma

I actually think that the UK is beginning to realise what Europe and other Countries realised many many years ago, that Vanlifers can actually boost local economies. The CAMPRA organisation has really been pushing Councils, Tourist and Hospitality Sectors to look at providing facilities, not park ups per say more places to empty waste and fill up with fresh water and the results are looking positive :thumb: About time some may say, but let us make sure that we do not spoil things for ourselves;)
I believe COVID and BREXIT may have actually had a positive effect. For the British Vanlifers who did not want to return to UK as their 90 day limit approached but could not venture into Morocco, they went East, Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria and Turkey and guess what ? They discovered that most of these places were not only nice but that they welcomed Vanlifers and did not mind wildcamping. So Portugal and Spain may be closing or at least restriction vanlife opportunities but perhaps they may come to regret that decision :wasntme:

chrisjones18

Not sure if you have seen the new map for UK Aires that has been added to the campra site...

vwalan

best avoid aires though as they do get full of campsite dwellers .
best stop with the travelling folk and enjoy life.
when i grow up i want to be a gypsy.

BigMomma

best avoid aires though as they do get full of campsite dwellers .
best stop with the travelling folk and enjoy life.
when i grow up i want to be a gypsy.
The CAMpRA ones are not necessarily ‘Aires’ in the way we know them in Europe, many are just new locations being provided where you can do the services on your van although some may offer overnight parking. Waiting to see the kind of prices they will be charging but hopefully will be much cheaper than being forced on to Campsites :thumb: In Europe you do not have to stay on an Aire you can use use the facilities and move on if you wish, so this will be the same principle. The van life community in UK have complained for such a long time about not having similar facilities as Europe, now they are coming, lets hope that people do not start abusing them and start ‘Camping’ associated activities or littering or they will disappear again.

vwalan

trouble is the campsite dwellers will stop nights put out carpets ,tables and chairs . use bbq,s and think they are ok to do this.
oh, i forgot pull out awnings etc .
does seem like so many just cant be discreet and blend in or behave.
only have to hear the things they have been doing on the nc500.
but never mind life goes on.
bet there will be lots of changes in life once covid and brexit get a few years old.

chrisjones18

I hope there's better figures when the route to Europe Is open
Stolen from a chassoun site on facebook

BigMomma

Spain’s daily figures over the last few days are in the ascendency, not so long ago they were matching the UK figures of around 5,000 per day, now they are around 10,000 :tmi: But to put it into some perspective you need to look at the map of Covid Infections in each Province, many have no new infections but Madrid is one of the main areas responsible for the high infection rate. It will be interesting to watch our own infection rates as the restrictions are lifted, only half of our population have been vaccinated and that is the older age groups, the younger age groups, which I would suggest are the 16-40 year olds, which in reality make up the bulk of those who actually go out en-mass, are still capable of passing the virus on to other’s, even to those who have had the vaccines. There are lots of people who still think that once they have been vaccinated that they are immune from contracting the virus which is not the case. Having the vaccine just means that if you do contract the virus that you may not suffer as bad and not require hospitalisation, this mass vaccination programme is all about easing the pressures on hospitals and is not a ‘miracle’ cure that makes you immune from the Virus. We all still need to not get complacement and whilst ever people travel abroad to Countries that are not up to speed with their vaccination programmes, the risks of re-introducing the virus and mutations remains high risk.

vwalan

just been for a ride out and padstow to newquay the beaches are busy. not full but busy. carparks getting filled and seems like some activity on some camping ,caravan places . didntgo right through newquay town as it seemed too busy.
but sunshining its warm, not hot but a nice pleasant day.
most roads very busy.

Willum

Spain’s daily figures over the last few days are in the ascendency, not so long ago they were matching the UK figures of around 5,000 per day, now they are around 10,000 :tmi: But to put it into some perspective you need to look at the map of Covid Infections in each Province, many have no new infections but Madrid is one of the main areas responsible for the high infection rate. It will be interesting to watch our own infection rates as the restrictions are lifted, only half of our population have been vaccinated and that is the older age groups, the younger age groups, which I would suggest are the 16-40 year olds, which in reality make up the bulk of those who actually go out en-mass, are still capable of passing the virus on to other’s, even to those who have had the vaccines. There are lots of people who still think that once they have been vaccinated that they are immune from contracting the virus which is not the case. Having the vaccine just means that if you do contract the virus that you may not suffer as bad and not require hospitalisation, this mass vaccination programme is all about easing the pressures on hospitals and is not a ‘miracle’ cure that makes you immune from the Virus. We all still need to not get complacement and whilst ever people travel abroad to Countries that are not up to speed with their vaccination programmes, the risks of re-introducing the virus and mutations remains high risk.
Yep, the chart certainly makes uncomfortable reading for those who want to 'get back into it' in Europe (Alan excepted ;)) I guess as the EU countries overcome their stupid mistakes and prejudices, they will steadily catch up with us.
Pat has just been into the local town for a chiropodist's appointment. She reports that at least half of the shoppers weren't bothering with a mask. FFS!:mad:
She did note that the guy who rushed in through the surgery door without a mask was unceremoniously booted straight back out into the street. :thumb:
Have to say I was surprised to see - and not entirely sure why - Portugal is so low on the scale. I did think they were struggling and not doing well on the vaccine front. Perhaps they've turned it around. I hope so, I want to go. (via a Poole - Morocco - Poole ferry that stops in Lisbon en-route :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:. I'm allowed to dream)

BigMomma

Yep, the chart certainly makes uncomfortable reading for those who want to 'get back into it' in Europe (Alan excepted ;)) I guess as the EU countries overcome their stupid mistakes and prejudices, they will steadily catch up with us.
Pat has just been into the local town for a chiropodist's appointment. She reports that at least half of the shoppers weren't bothering with a mask. FFS!:mad:
She did note that the guy who rushed in through the surgery door without a mask was unceremoniously booted straight back out into the street. :thumb:
Have to say I was surprised to see - and not entirely sure why - Portugal is so low on the scale. I did think they were struggling and not doing well on the vaccine front. Perhaps they've turned it around. I hope so, I want to go. (via a Poole - Morocco - Poole ferry that stops in Lisbon en-route :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:. I'm allowed to dream)
Portugal had a major problem with infections but mainly in Lisbon. However, it did a lot of Weekend close downs Nationally and a couple of closures with the Spanish Border so they have managed to contain it. The only reason they were put on the UK ‘Red List’, which has now been lifted, was because of those coming from Countries with the South African variant whose International flight’s did stopovers in Lisbon.

Willum

Portugal had a major problem with infections but mainly in Lisbon. However, it did a lot of Weekend close downs Nationally and a couple of closures with the Spanish Border so they have managed to contain it. The only reason they were put on the UK ‘Red List’, which has now been lifted, was because of those coming from Countries with the South African variant whose International flight’s did stopovers in Lisbon.
That explains it. If I were Portuguese, I think I'd be a bit more worried about the Brazilian variant ........... :(:(

Adverts