soon be time

vwalan

well soon be uk as a single place to be. never mind best make this year the travel to eu as a leaving wave.
can others see the immanent confusion thats on the way?
mind it has been getting a bit expensive in eu for food etc ,uk does seem like one of the cheapest places to live in europe.
used to be buy clothes etc when away on holiday but that disappeared several years ago. even the quality of food seems to have gone down in most of eu.
oh well summers coming so have a good time and enjoy life.

fanofatan

who knows what will happen, I don't see things changing in a hurry going by the last 3 years of dithering

vwalan

there is a rumour going around that eu new vehicles are going to be banned in uk.
good job china and japan etc are making good ones. mind north africa does as well.
lets hope the ferry to maroc starts up soon.

chrisjones18

Just insured the scooter, now only get 6 months full comp and 6 months 3rd party instead of the full 12 months I got last year...
Took ages to find the policy a few years ago..
things will change ....in time

BigMomma

who knows what will happen, I don't see things changing in a hurry going by the last 3 years of dithering
The changes for U.K. Traveller's will come into effect on 1st January 2021 (Unless there is an extension to the Transition Arrangements, which Boris has said he will never do, but he has said a lot of things and then done something different :rolleyes:)

You will certainly need a 'Green Card' but that is just a simple arrangement via your Insurers. You may need International Driving Permits for some Countries (France definitely) but not all, if the duration of your stay is no longer than 6 months and you have a new type Driver's Licence (Photograph on, not the old paper one) and, unless you get a tourist Visa for longer durations, we will only be able to remain in the EU for a period of 90 days in any one period of 180 days anyway. You will need Health Insurance as the EHIC card may no longer be accepted (Subject to individual arrangements between U.K. with each individual Country) and if you intend visiting some cities that operate 'Green Zones' (equivalent to our LEZ) then you will need permits subject to the Emissions rating of your vehicle, but again, a simple admin process that can be done on line. I do not know anything about the changes, if any, to the 'Pet Passport' scheme as I do not have any dogs or other pets, so this aspect does not interest me. You will need to display a GB sticker. If you have the EU one on your number plate this will no longer be legal in the EU, but just go on to Amazon and order new one's that stick over the top, they display GB with a Union Jack, do not get the 'ENGLAND' one's as these are not the Internationally recognised identifiers, only 'GB' :thumb:

Other than that, keep on enjoying your travels

sundowners

mind it has been getting a bit expensive in eu for food etc ,uk does seem like one of the cheapest places to live in europe.
there is a rumour going around that eu new vehicles are going to be banned in uk.
good job china and japan etc are making good ones. mind north africa does as well.
lets hope the ferry to maroc starts up soon.

Don't worry about getting new cars!!!!! Mr Trump will be only too happy to supply them!!!!

Places like Portugal, Spain and Greece were really cheap------ then as soon as they joined that EU club, prices escalated overnight!!!!!!! ---- we couldn't believe how much prices rose in Portugal----- now not cheaper overall but some things are really cheap, like road tax on old cars ( they live forever here!!), A beer is cheaper than water in restaurants, if it wasn't for the influx of Chinese shops it would be even more expensive--------- the saving grace for us is eating out!!! We probably eat out 3 time a week-!!!!----- our target price is less than €9 for complete meal with soup, main, desert, wine, bread and coffee!!! We can still get that for €6 in places!!
Our land is too small to pay land tax and we are totally off grid so no utility bills----- we don't have residential permission so pay no "poll tax"----- so apart from occasionally.putting fuel in Genny to supplement solar power our overheads are very low. But for us, we have found a place to relax and spend the rest of our lives in probably one of the best places we have spent any time------ our Motorhome and trailer are going on eBay soon ----- that will be the end of our British ties ( apart from our British house that we refused to sell!!!!!
We will buy a small Portuguese reg. Motorhome so not totally finished on the road!!!!

coolasluck

Did you not sell the motorhome in the end?.
We are in Norfolk for a few weeks. Always miss Portugal. . Not a lot we can do now other than hope for some sort of longer term tourist agreement later on down the line. You guys are better off where you are. For me I have to question the merits of only 3 months away now against the cost of the ferry to Santander.

sundowners

Hi
But that is 3 months in EU------- there are other places to go to be out of EU
We made a bad mistake of holding the motorhome for a funster-----we spent all day with him--- then he said he has no money AND no licence to drive it!!!!!---------- we then held it for another one and he couldn't get to see it before we were returning to Portugal with a car and caravan---had ferry booked!!----- so left it in storage near Snetterton------ then another funster in Spain was desperate for it------ returned car to UK and sold it and brought the van back to Portugal for him-------- it wasn't like new!!!! So he didn't buy it!!!!!!!-------- this time it goes on eBay and goes to first one to give us what we will accept-------basically whatever we can get!!!!!!
Very tempted to remove batterirs and solar kit complete to use in Portugal but would prefer to leave it all on as it really is good and works very well!!! Seems a shame to disturb it!!!!!!
What are you doing in Norfolk?????? A bit too windy there at the moment----
Will be good to catch up again------- without other company!!!!!!------ it's been too long!!!

vwalan

no road tax or mot required for old cars in uk. .many old campers are ideal for cheap motoring.
not worried about beer or wine etc been collecting a few over the years.
the silly bit at the moment is very often spanisg peppers etc can be cheaper in uk than in spain . also better quality.
seems they are caught in the sell the best quality to other areas and keep the not so good for the locals. bit like cauliflowers etc in cornwall , the best get sold up to the north of uk.
hope you are having lots of fun and good times though in portugal.
havnt been there for a few years decided to just do the east side of spain usually in the last few years .
did go up the portugese border a few years ago but couldnt turn left as we were going to spain not portugal.
just one of our games we play. was that year galicia had its warmest driest winter for years so we made a quick move down and up. was daft really as malaga etc were flooded out yet galicia and asturia were really good.
have a good one.

Easyliving

We are in Norfolk for a few weeks. Always miss Portugal. . Not a lot we can do now other than hope for some sort of longer term tourist agreement later on down the line. You guys are better off where you are. For me I have to question the merits of only 3 months away now against the cost of the ferry to Santander.

We are near Dénia in Spain at the moment. Weather has been superb, yet another day sitting in the sun today. We drove down through France, I don’t think it was as expensive as the Santander ferry and no Bay of Biscay to contend with.

We are in Norfolk ourselves most of the time. Where (roughly) are you in Norfolk?

sundowners

Something you have said before Alan----tins of sardines are much cheaper in UK than in Portugal!!!!----- I believe that they get a subsidy to export them???? But prices are definitely rising here------ don't know how they compare to UK now though???? I believe the Portuguese earn more than we used to think???? I know that pensions are almost the same as basic UK ones!!!!! ----- There are so many expensive German cars on the roads here now------ I am a little bit suspicious of how they can afford them?????
To live here just on a basic pension would require us to live like you Alan!!!!
I didn't mean cars that old Alan!! They are also tax free here ----- our Opel Astra is €24 a year we think that is good value our terrano 1 is €36 and the seat Alhambra is €40 something so all three are much cheaper than our 1 car we had in UK!!!

sundowners

While I am going on about costs!!!!!-------- the heating in our cabin (and winter cooking) is by woodstove ----- virtually all the wood so far has has been what has been washed down the river and we just attacked it with the chain saw and brought to our woodstack with our little " tractor" so heating is virtually free!!!.
Coola knows but most of the inside of our cabin is donated by our American demountable camper!!!! Even the back door-- which is still wearing stickers from rodeo in Oklahoma and Norway-----and all the windows!!! so apart from cabin's shell that didn't cost much----- and it's just like living in a bigger camper!!!!!!

BigMomma

Would it work out cheaper to go via Calais ? It would be more mileage so a bit more in fuel but with free Aires to use on the way down it may still be a bit cheaper ? We will be using the French route in the future once we have retired. You could do your 90 days in the EU, then go across to Morocco and have another 90 days then return to EU for a further 90 days meaning only having to spend 90 days back in U.K. :thumb:

BigMomma

While I am going on about costs!!!!!-------- the heating in our cabin (and winter cooking) is by woodstove ----- virtually all the wood so far has has been what has been washed down the river and we just attacked it with the chain saw and brought to our woodstack with our little " tractor" so heating is virtually free!!!.
Coola knows but most of the inside of our cabin is donated by our American demountable camper!!!! Even the back door-- which is still wearing stickers from rodeo in Oklahoma and Norway-----and all the windows!!! so apart from cabin's shell that didn't cost much----- and it's just like living in a bigger camper!!!!!!
Have you taken up residency in Portugal ? We noted that they were offering 10 years of tax free to foreign Expats, although that is likely to be changing, but only with a tax liability of 10% so still better than UK or Spain.

coolasluck

Hi
But that is 3 months in EU------- there are other places to go to be out of EU
We made a bad mistake of holding the motorhome for a funster-----we spent all day with him--- then he said he has no money AND no licence to drive it!!!!!---------- we then held it for another one and he couldn't get to see it before we were returning to Portugal with a car and caravan---had ferry booked!!----- so left it in storage near Snetterton------ then another funster in Spain was desperate for it------ returned car to UK and sold it and brought the van back to Portugal for him-------- it wasn't like new!!!! So he didn't buy it!!!!!!!-------- this time it goes on eBay and goes to first one to give us what we will accept-------basically whatever we can get!!!!!!
Very tempted to remove batterirs and solar kit complete to use in Portugal but would prefer to leave it all on as it really is good and works very well!!! Seems a shame to disturb it!!!!!!
What are you doing in Norfolk?????? A bit too windy there at the moment----
Will be good to catch up again------- without other company!!!!!!------ it's been too long!!!

Hi guys I will p.m you a message later tonight...

coolasluck

We are near Dénia in Spain at the moment. Weather has been superb, yet another day sitting in the sun today. We drove down through France, I don’t think it was as expensive as the Santander ferry and no Bay of Biscay to contend with.

We are in Norfolk ourselves most of the time. Where (roughly) are you in Norfolk?

Hi we are in king's Lynn at the moment moving to Norwich tomorrow. This side of the country is definitely dryer and brighter than the west and the best part of Britain during winter. The cheaper c.ls will be opening soon but the main aim is to find ones open with hard standing with electric during the worst of the winter . Mind we are getting a charge of 15 amps with this brighter weather so hook up is not as needed now. Our coach is not going to be as economical as your van which is why costs are about the same as ferry. Enjoy the sun:cool::cool:

coolasluck

Would it work out cheaper to go via Calais ? It would be more mileage so a bit more in fuel but with free Aires to use on the way down it may still be a bit cheaper ? We will be using the French route in the future once we have retired. You could do your 90 days in the EU, then go across to Morocco and have another 90 days then return to EU for a further 90 days meaning only having to spend 90 days back in U.K. :thumb:

Hi Eric I have pondered about that route but again I think fuel costs particularly would again negate the idea. Migrants are still a problem as well.Its been good practice to spend a winter here I think the change is good for us in a way.Not interested in Morrocco though as it's never appealed to us. My ideal is 5 months in the u.k as we like it here in the summer Hope it's not too long until you retire Eric I imagine you will be back to work soon I just hope it doesn't leave you with that sinking feeling that I had after holidays and going back to the royal mail.lol

vwalan

Something you have said before Alan----tins of sardines are much cheaper in UK than in Portugal!!!!----- I believe that they get a subsidy to export them???? But prices are definitely rising here------ don't know how they compare to UK now though???? I believe the Portuguese earn more than we used to think???? I know that pensions are almost the same as basic UK ones!!!!! ----- There are so many expensive German cars on the roads here now------ I am a little bit suspicious of how they can afford them?????
To live here just on a basic pension would require us to live like you Alan!!!!
I didn't mean cars that old Alan!! They are also tax free here ----- our Opel Astra is €24 a year we think that is good value our terrano 1 is €36 and the seat Alhambra is €40 something so all three are much cheaper than our 1 car we had in UK!!!
the main thing is so long as you are happy.
so many travel through life and seem unhappy.
you might laugh but we have had some real strange weather here just lately.
monday one minute sunshine like a summers day .not hot but bright ,
then thunder and lightening. then a summers day .
yesterday summers day then hailstone storms . then a summers day.
could change from one to the other and back again in 15 minutes .
was unbelievable. great to see. shall never forget it ,amazing.
clear sky today been out and watched the sea north and south from just outside our village. dry so far.
glad i live here yet can be on a ferry if i want quickly etc.
mind i seem to like being here in cornwall or devon more and more as i get older.
loads of free night stops and interesting places to spend the days .
have fun , keep smiling.
off for a m,bike ride now while its still nice . .

BigMomma

Hi Eric I have pondered about that route but again I think fuel costs particularly would again negate the idea. Migrants are still a problem as well.Its been good practice to spend a winter here I think the change is good for us in a way.Not interested in Morrocco though as it's never appealed to us. My ideal is 5 months in the u.k as we like it here in the summer Hope it's not too long until you retire Eric I imagine you will be back to work soon I just hope it doesn't leave you with that sinking feeling that I had after holidays and going back to the royal mail.lol
Returning to work after an extended period off is always a bit of a wrench, but it is only for another 6 months then back to freedom again. We quite liked Morocco, apart from the contaminated fuel incident :worried: we found it safe, the people very friendly and very cheap and of course, once you get a bit further South, during the Winter months, very warm at around 25 degrees(c). We have been watching some recent travel Vlogs on 'You Tube' and even the standard of the Campsites/Aires appears to have improved considerably, although they were okay even when we were over there 5 years ago.

You could of course choose Calais on the way out (£70) and Cherbourg (£100) on the way back, or even Dover-Dunkirk. The 90 day business is a bit of a bummer as it of course means 4 x Ferry Crossings instead of just the two, but just something we have to live with. Once we retire we will no longer do the Portsmouth -Bilbao/Santander Routes and so we will do the French routes. But we will not always be heading South to Spain as we still want to travel to lots of other EU Countries. We have been planning around the Brexit stuff for some time so we are ready for the changes and will just go with the flow and travel within the time restrictions and the varying Seasonal weather.

Hope the Brexit stuff does not impact on you too much and you still continue to enjoy your fulltiming lifestyle

chrisjones18

Eric, you are going to have to talk to Sally next time we meet about Morocco.
We got fed up of the rain it the UK so we got on a plane and are now in Denmark , (prices just up a little with the uk on a whole) it's also very wet here..:( ...

Adverts