Recovery again?

coolasluck

i had a problem with our van two weeks ago and had to use our service with ADAC, all went well with the call for help, spoke to a few guys and got sorted, they told me the AA would ring me and sort out my problem. the guy from the AA was there in 35 mins and befor he did anything he told me i only had basic cover and a recovery home was not possible, a local garage would be my only option. i was 20 mile from home and have my own garage and asked him to tow me there mostly on duel carrageway, sorry was the reply local garage only, i did get him to tow start me as it was a starter motor problem and i then drove home. i have spoken to ADAC since and they have confirmed that a recovery to home is now not possible in the uk, she said it would be better for me to use a UK recovery service as well as ADAC, so i am now loking for the best deal for me with a 3 ton van 5.5 mts long, any ideas please?

• Just been on the wildcamping site to disturbingly find this post.

• So what do you do in a 7.5 truck or anything over 3.5 tonnes now?

pelmetman & pelmetlady

I should get an A frame Coola and tow your Hymer just in case:D...............but that's worrying:eek:..........seems like the AA have noticed people leaving, and have started being ar*ey:rolleyes:

sundowners

I should get an A frame Coola and tow your Hymer just in case:D...............but that's worrying:eek:..........seems like the AA have noticed people leaving, and have started being ar*ey:rolleyes:
I wonder if AA put pressure on ADAC to reduce the cover ??:(--------I also wonder if a 'higher grade' of cover would give better cover ??:confused:
It would be interesting to know how Germans would react to this type of restriction in Germany-------I guess they would really stamp their feet:D

coolasluck

:D

Thanks for the heads up,and yes i am a read only funster,mainly as i am only interested in fulltiming in the main,granted though we do get the same conversation on here a lot but thats banter among chums in my opinion.
I did post on the wildcamping website also John.;)

The more people are aware of the situation the better ,as far as i am concerned, it may help prevent customers in the u.k from being stitched up.
If enough people protest and or cancel their cover it may force the adac to do something about it.
Bloody typical its another example of brits getting ripped off.

Firefox

I'm not sure why there is such a fascination with ADAC, although I guess if you spend a lot of time in Europe it may be a good move. I didn't have recovery for a long time. Got it with the AA now and glad, as have used it twice in the last year. Can't fault their service though probably they're probably not the absolute cheapest. Isn't Green Flag or Britannia supposed to be the best deal in the UK ?

coolasluck

Hi firefox been looking at your videos and have enjoyed them,also gave me the idea of draining the rainwater from underneath your solar panels so cheers there:thumb:

Recovery for yourself shouldnt be a problem as you are 3.5 tonnes and under so probably most companies would be ok,the problem is when your vehicle is 18 years old and is a conversion on a gross weight of 6.3 tonnes.
I have been looking into the problem today and ,adac aside, it seems that if you join the caravan club for 43 pounds you can be insured for breakdown with green flag which has no weight or length restrictions at a further cost of between 90 and 117 quid which will give you full personal cover on any vehicle.

I have also spoken to the AA as i wanted clarification.
They have a recorded and logged conversation between myself and themselves which clarifies that i have the same reciprical cover in the u.k as i have with the a.d.a.c.
They gave me the number that i would need to ring for their fleet recovery service (as my vehicle is 6.3 tonnes max)

For travels in europe and some countries outside of europe (for limited time) i have found that the adac are the best as they do not have any age or weight restrictions and the level of protection is far superior to anything else i could find and also sickness cover is second to none.

johnnerontheroad

Firefox,

One of the reasons people go with ADAC is the medical repatriation cover from any where in the world as part of the Plus cover. If the AA were to offer this cover and match ADAC's price they may get more business, their prices are way more than ADAC and the cover is not as good. Shame my N+B is too high to get cover but just thinking of taking it out for the repatriation alone.

Dave

coolasluck

Whats the height of your motorhome john?
I guess its the caravan club and green flag for you then:)

snail

Hi Johnontheroad, we have just been talking with saga, as finding comfort too expensive, they seem to have enough cover for us long termers, how do you find them have you claimed or been recovered?

snail

johnnerontheroad

Hi Johnontheroad, we have just been talking with saga, as finding comfort too expensive, they seem to have enough cover for us long termers, how do you find them have you claimed or been recovered?

snail
While not full timers we do go away for long periods, I have had one claim with SAGA and they were great no problems. This year asked for a green card for Morocco there within two days and offered to courier if not there on time all at no extra cost. Any contact I have had with them the UK call center staff are very good and seem to do that bit extra for you without being pushy.

Good luck

Dave

coolasluck

Beat you to it,its that bloody pelmet character,i should have known and he goes there a lot more than here too bloody snob:D
Well if its not him its you;)

coolasluck

7000 posts he needs to get out more:rofl:

coolasluck

the fellow is going to give the aa a ring tommorow i have asked him to keep me in the loop and let us know how he gets on.

coolasluck

johnnerontheroad - 2013-04-25 8:02 PM

This is the original post, read all of it as it seems the AA have sorted it.

http://www.motorhome365.com/forum/threads/recovery-again.1581/#post-34139

Dave

Where's the bit about the AA sorting it?

-----Dave;)

I have also spoken to the AA as i wanted clarification.
They have a recorded and logged conversation between myself and themselves which clarifies that i have the same reciprical cover in the u.k as i have with the a.d.a.c.
They gave me the number that i would need to ring for their fleet recovery service (as my vehicle is 6.3 tonnes max)

They have put this on record with my name and address e.t.c.

Speaking with the woman at adac(cant remember her name) she stated that adac pays the AA a lot of money for the service.It seems that the only problem is the u.k and that the rest of europe is fine.She has had a lot of calls from folks from the u.k. Good old blighty:rolleyes:

Adverts