oooh....smelly

Mike7692

We have a bit of a whiff coming from the sink any ideas on how to get rid please :).
I have a filter thing over the plug hole so only the really small bits will get through, most of the washing up is done in the facilities of the site. I don't want to take it apart if I don't have to and don't want to put the wrong stuff down there. Someone suggested soda crystals......
Ta
Mike

vwalan

might need a good bottle trap fitting in line .
or tip a couple of bottles of cheap cola or orange juice into your empty waste tank then drive around . then empty .
have a read here,https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

BwB

Leave the plug in the sink hole when not in use. Empty the grey tank often. Avoid draining vegetable water or pasta water down the sink. Coke, soda crystals, all OK but they're a one shot process. The smell soon comes back if you leave the grey tank too long between emptying. A bucket under the open grey tap (or hose into hedge) if on a site.

vwalan

but keeping the grey tank open allows the liquid to escape but not any sediment . far better to empty when almost full . then the flow of the water takes out the sediment , but i do agree dont tip solid wastes down the plug hole .
its unfortunate that many bought conversions dont seem to put adequate water traps inline .
many dont have any traps at all and are still built in the old fashioned caravan trick of straight through on to the ground or into a slide under waste tank/bucket. but now they mount the container under the vehicle . for cheapness.

sundowners

We did notice a smell when we travelled with the roof vent open ---it creates a vacuum and sucks air from the tank-------we usually travel with the plugs in-----I also put a little bleach down the plug-holes to clean the traps of any smell------the Yank camper had better traps.

vwalan

i fitted a bottle trap. under the sink and built a low place in the pipe run so it acts as a water trap. . every now and again i can lift the flexy hose to get rid of crud . i lay a piece of rubber over the shower drain as a plug.

BigMomma

You can purchase 'Elsan' grey tank cleaner. Put solution down sink plug holes and the one in the shower, run ALL taps and fill grey waste to about 80% full, drive around to give it a good 'slosh' around then empty :thumb:

hpold

Bi carb and water will get rid of it and otherwise a cap full of vanish down the sink into the tank will clean the tank up :thumb:

Steve Freeman

Not sure if it's common in (nanny-state, anti-Darwinism) UK, but in Spain & Portugal we bought 2L or 3L jugs of (weak) ammonia solution for a euro in Lidl. After emptying the grey tank, we just bunged it down the shower waste, bathroom and kitchen sinks, then flushed it through with a bit of water and left it there. Smells gone for many weeks! Even better if you can travel to agitate the tank contents. Just empty as normal when the tank is next full - you'd never know it had been there - as by the time the tank is full on ours (233L) it's a pretty low concentration.

Note - never mix ammonia products with chlorine products unless you like dying from chloramines. We never carry bleach or similar so not a problem.

vwalan

buty you possibly put chlorinated water into your tanks .
most drinking water contains it .
mind you could just fill from fonts springs abroad . natural ones .

Steve Freeman

buty you possibly put chlorinated water into your tanks .
most drinking water contains it .
mind you could just fill from fonts springs abroad . natural ones .
No worries on that - chlorinated drinking water is WAY too weak a solution, else it'd kill you if you drank it. You'd need actual bleach to get a reaction with ammonia. The big benefit of ammonia is its de-greasing action, which helps with sludgy grey water tanks and pipes.

vwalan

this is why the geo system works . i showed a copy of it to the scientists at south west water when i was working with them they thought it was the perfect way.mind they also said if regular chlorinated water is used then drinking the tank water in the fresh tank should be ideal.
i always try to empty the grey water tank when its almost full. dont seem to suffer with smells . mind the pipe that leaves the tank to the outlet tap is full of horrible smelly water when you do empty. strong water flow is the answer on emptying .

aikidoamigo

Milton

Steve Freeman

Milton? As in Paradise Lost? :) Not sure how serious this would be for a grey water tank and pipes! I would think unless it was gallons of the stuff, then it'd be like cleaning nuclear waste with Mr Sheen.
Then again, my grey water tank is 233L, and the sinks, shower & washing machine have serious bore pipes into the tank, so I'm thinking strong stuff, in quantity.

aikidoamigo

“Our cure, to be no more; sad cure! ”

Actually my Dads bigger than your Dad... We have 300 ltrs and it works for us.

At the start of the season we use Elsan and then if needed periodically we use Milton.
Keeping the plugs in situ whilst driving is essential otherwise you will get smells.

:nerd:

hpold

“Our cure, to be no more; sad cure! ”

Actually my Dads bigger than your Dad... We have 300 ltrs and it works for us.

At the start of the season we use Elsan and then if needed periodically we use Milton.
Keeping the plugs in situ whilst driving is essential otherwise you will get smells.

:nerd:
Heard that vwalan has a bigger one and uses the gas generated to light his gas lights.;)

vwalan

actually my grey tank is only 60ltrs .
cant see the need for any bigger.
100 ltr fresh tank with about 40 ltrs in plastic jerry cans .

Steve Freeman

We always empty both tanks (233L grey & 233L fresh - max) before driving as we only get 22-23 MPG when towing, so don't want to make that too much worse over 1200 miles or so! (~1/2 tonne extra = £££).

Steve Freeman

actually my grey tank is only 60ltrs .
cant see the need for any bigger.
100 ltr fresh tank with about 40 ltrs in plastic jerry cans .
And that is just for the truck's washer bottle - what about the trailer?

Adverts