My proper full time living prison truck conversion by bad karma konversions

coolasluck

Hey i like it nugget thanks for those photos mate i wanted to see the inside of that truck ages ago as i liked it.
How much did regal furnishings cost you? I ask as this is something i need to look at sorting soon.:thumb:

coolasluck

I like the good depth to your cushions.;)

nugget

Built by myself and a massive amount of help and guidance from vw alan in september 2011. Lived in it since then did 2 winters in Fort william before going to the south of Spain at start of Feb this year to meet up with Alan and Purple Bob. Can count on my 2 hands the number of nights I've spent on campsites since Sep 2011.. Solid proof a truck conversion works for long term wild camping in comfort..
Base vehicle Iveco ford 75e15
16 x 7.5 ft box standard prison service
outside re-skinned with plastic coated steel and small sietz style windows fitted up high for security
Seating area with 6 ft bench facing rear and 3.5 ft forward folds into 2nd double bed upholstery by regal furnishings
Storage underneath for 2 litre bottles upright (or vodka or brandy gin etc)
Full size lpg cooker and full size kitchen sink
Full size domestic shower tray
4ft double bed at rear with garage uderneath for my monkey bike with an large cupboard accessible from inside
Gas storage locker big enough for 3 x 13kg propane or similar
4 x 200ah truck batteries in parallel linked to a 1kw pure sine wave inverter for 240v fridge and other mains power
220 litre fresh water tank underslug at rear with 100 litre waste on other side
Weighs in at 6.6 tonne full of water diesel and all my belongings so still just under a tonne of leeway for supplies
Total cost? Well depends how well you get on with alan lol but really not a lot and a lot less than a white ice cream van of similar age.

nugget

Hi coola Regal furnishings took £450.. Drove in at 7 am they measured up and listened to what I wanted ie high back on rear facing to fit the bed etc then chose fabric and went back to bed for a couple of hours while they made them up. Was done and away for 12pm. Great job. Foam is 5 inches only with a choice of firm and hard. Firm is really comfortable both as seat and bed and showing no signs of wear after 1.5 years constant use

coolasluck

I bought a midi coach a toyota cetana optimo 3 which is a rebodied coaster bus which had been converted prior to me buying.The windows were in and glass taken out and paneled over.I have been reconverting it to our own spec,its suprising where the money goes though and soon adds up.The only thing i found was that i had to arrange our layout to coincide with where the windows were located so have an 8 foot long bench seat wth the kitchen opposite .At the rear i had to have a garage to put our bikes in with the bed above.
As it is now its bloody solid.I just hope it stays that way:rofl:
I tell myself that i must have faith in myself:rolleyes:

coolasluck

Hi coola Regal furnishings took £450.. Drove in at 7 am they measured up and listened to what I wanted ie high back on rear facing to fit the bed etc then chose fabric and went back to bed for a couple of hours while they made them up. Was done and away for 12pm. Great job. Foam is 5 inches only with a choice of firm and hard. Firm is really comfortable both as seat and bed and showing no signs of wear after 1.5 years constant use

Thats the exact price i actually had in mind:D i told the wife that if it was a lot more i would go my own way i bet their bloody located in yorkshire though arent they?
A pain if you live in devon:eek:

nugget

Well mine was converted as well but very badly. I can honestly say the best thing I did was listen to alans advise which ended up with us stripping it completely and starting again. Alan gave a guide cost long before we did it of 7k and he was within £500 of the final cost. So I lived in it the way it was till id saved the money and did find doing it this way so much easier than doing it bit by bit.

nugget

They're in Ilkiston Derbyshire took me about 6 hours from alans in Cornwall. They are also happy to let you stop the night in their yard and provide free power and a cup of tea in the morning. Alan says they posted his to him although he knew exactly what measurements he wanted. mine was a bit more difficult to judge as i wanted the curved edge on the small seat and the split in the big seat back for the bed.

coolasluck

it is fun though isnt it it is a slow process if you work fulltime and then have to get yourself going to get on the coach again.The only worry is the insulation.It had 1.5 inch of polystyrene boarded on over the top,becouse of room i have bought a load of pure aluminium faced double sided foam insulation,this should help keep heat in and then i carpeted over the top of this. Couldnt really do any more really i suppose the proof will be in the sampling.Was nice and warm in their the other day though as i left the blinds open and the sun was out.

coolasluck

They're in Ilkiston Derbyshire took me about 6 hours from alans in Cornwall. They are also happy to let you stop the night in their yard and provide free power and a cup of tea in the morning. Alan says they posted his to him although he knew exactly what measurements he wanted. mine was a bit more difficult to judge as i wanted the curved edge on the small seat and the split in the big seat back for the bed.

Its certainly something to think about although i am a bit nervous driving it as i have not really used it at all since buying last year,its very low geared so will be good for mountains but is not going to be any rocket on the motorways however:D i just took out cover with the adac a few weeks ago so if it broke down i should be ok.
She starts first time just a flick of the switch good oil pressure and a nice clean chasis too i do need to get it waxoiled though i take it you waxoiled yours as well?
I was hoping to see you when i visited alan last year as he did say that you were due,obviously bob had stolen your space:)

nugget

wouldn't go with the carpet myself just absorbs moisture and is difficult to clean. My truck has 50mm kingspan all round as per standard prison I put an extra inch of polystyrene on the roof then plylined and painted with a good bathroom paint. Ply lined walls then had whole inside including washroom done in duraflake resin based covering. Bloody good stuff really hard wearing water resistant and easy to clean.. might be worth a look..

nugget

Well best drive about the uk to check its reliable before you go away long distance not had mine waxoiled yet always been too wet in scotland and its a bit wet here in portugal too

coolasluck

Yes alan likes that stuff i like the carpet as i am hoping it will give us a more warm feel and help to keep us warm,it had previously been lined with vinyl and it just looked dirty and full of glue stains.Dont have any wall paper in my house so it was never going to go in my coach lol

nugget

Duraflakes not wall paper its a fibre glass resin finish.. Applied by a coat of white resin then coulered flakes of your choice blown on left to dry then 2 coats clear resin over the top.

coolasluck

Well best drive about the uk to check its reliable before you go away long distance not had mine waxoiled yet always been too wet in scotland and its a bit wet here in portugal too

You dont know what wet is its dreadful here its been full on from this morning to tommorow night it is supposed to be 50 c of rainfall that will have fallen by tom night.
I suppose its a sign that summers on its way:rolleyes:

coolasluck

Duraflakes not wall paper its a fibre glass resin finish.. Applied by a coat of white resin then coulered flakes of your choice blown on left to dry then 2 coats clear resin over the top.
I was joking i have it on the walls in my hymer

coolasluck

How long is your truck nugget?

FULL TIMER

Nice one nugget I think Alan mentioned yours when I first joined the forum, Can't beat a good prison wagon. coola you'll have to pack up work so you can get your coach finished It would drive me nuts doing it a bit at a time never seems to get done, mind you I still keep finding more odds and sods to do on mine and it won't be long before the MOT is due again.

Adverts