Motorhome V's Touring Caravan

Angellica

Hi Friends,

I'm a single mum planning on becoming a fulltimer soon, I wanted your ideas.
I'm unsure whether to go for a motorhome or touring caravan. I've never driven a van before so The thought of driving a massive motorhome scares me :oops: If I go for a touring caravan it will need to moved off the campsite every 28 days which will mean me paying a company to tow it .
Its a tricky situation isn't it. :cry:
What would you suggest?

Thank your for time

Angellica

Wandering Star

Hi Angellica!

I would be a little surprised if anyone suggested a caravan over a motorhome! :) on this forum anyway!
don't let the thought of driving a 'massive motorhome' worry you in any way.

Firstly, it doesn't have to be a 'monster truck', a smaller 'van handles pretty much like a regular car, in fact there aren't all that many differences apart from maybe reversing and being aware that you are a bit longer and wider than a regular vehicle.

Secondly, the touring caravan idea would probably be a pain after a while having to constantly hire a company to move your home each month - and costly in that you'd need to spend every day on a campsite. A motorhome can at least break up the length of time you are paying for camping and you can move as and when you fancy.

Lastly, You say You've never driven a 'van before, well, that's the situation we all found ourselves in at one point ;) and we are all still here to talk about it, so it can't be all that bad :D

I vote Motorhome! Hope this helps :)

johnnerontheroad

Hi and welcome

I would go for a European motorhome, a caravan can be very cold in the winter. As for moving every 28 days have a look at private site's that offer seasonal pitches some may be as long as 11 months but most are April until October. The size of your M/H will depend on what driving licence you have, remember you need a good payload as with children you have more kit, an awning will also give you an extra room.

Good luck

Dave

Angellica

Hi Friends,

You are all so kind. :) I would be relying on campsites mainly for electricity as I need my phone and laptop constantly charged for work + the M/H is securely parked and would feel safe.
I have searched for a seasonal pitch but can't find anything local. But I will carry on looking :D
By the way I am a coloured girl which might be abit rare to find in this M/H and campsites lifestyle or maybe that is just me being abit shallow :).
Thanks for reading :cool:

Wandering Star

By the way I am a coloured girl which might be abit rare to find in this M/H and campsites lifestyle or maybe that is just me being abit shallow :).
:cool:
No comment as to the 'A bit too shallow' thing ;) , and I think you will find that any comment (unless positive) will not appear here!
Absolutely irrelevant!
Anyone can live fulltime in a motorhome! Even girls! ;)

vwalan

well we dont care about colour on this site at all.
well i like silver hair like mine .ha ha .
but i use a kind of caravan as you can see . there are several fifth wheel caravan owners on here .
to help we need more info. date past driving test .or better still what codes .categories you have on your driving licence .
plus you can get training for larger vehicles . be it just a motor home .
every thing depends on what you fancy .
why cant you tow a caravan . ?
i,m sure we will try our best to help.

BigMomma

Colour is never an issue on here, most vans are white with a few decals except for Purple Bob, can you gues what colour his truck is ? :D

I take it you have a driving licence and already own a car ? If so then you can drive a motorhome, they are not all massive beasts and some are even the same length as an estate car but look bigger because of their height. There are ways and means of parking up for long periods on sites ;)

You probably do need to tell us a little more about yourself and your intentions, not just because we are nosey (but we are :D) but it also gives us an idea of how to advise. Do you have to be in or around one location for work or are you able to be mobile ? You say you are a single mum, how many children and what ages (has a relevance for layout and payloads).

We are here to help so welcome to the forum and ask as many questions as you want, expect wide and varied responses and always remember you only need to take away the information/advice/guidance/opinion that you yourself want or need :thumb:

happy campers

Well, ive had a caravan and a motorhome. In my opinion it depends how often you plan on moving, If you going to move often go for the motorhome, its quicker to just disconnect leccy turn key and go. if you plan on staying on same spot for months go for caravan.when you want to move need to disconnect leccy waste and fresh water tanks in, wind the legs up then connect it to the car and we found doing this often is a pain in the ,,,, was living like that for 2 years.Then switched to the Motorhome , havent looked back...;)

vwalan

get the right caravan you dont drop legs dont disconnect .just stop ,. want to go on just lock cupboards . jump in front drive on . i very often dont disconnect for months when away. on board waste and water tanks just like a motor home . yet much more space . cant see as its any different between the two ,.far easier than a m,home towing a car . either on trailer or aframe . i have both at home and tow dolly. get in just about every supermarket carpark or look for another . its really about thinking the problems through and sorting them out .
plus car and caravan get special rates on most ferries so it can be cheaper for a 10mtr set up than a 6mtr .motor home . only priced it up this week for mine and a mates campers .

coolasluck

I would go for a motorhome as has been said they are easy and quicker to move about.
I would look at the 20 foot hymers these are 20 foot long and not to high or wide,go for an older b544 or something akin to that.In my opinion i would rather drive a motorhome its a lot more easier than a caravan especially reversing i am sure that you would like to take the plunge at some point and do the driving yourself,you do get used to it and then enjoy driving your home, i now have a coach also that adds another 5 or 6 foot on the back but as it is roughly the same height and width as my hymer i absolutely love driving the beast around now.

Angellica

Hi Friends,

I really appreciate your feedback. You are all so kind.
Ok....Where do I start....I have one school age child one car and two pets :) I really cannot afford the really, really expensive London rent anymore!!! Its way too much!!! especially on my own.
So I'm going to take time out, go full time, write my book and save some money + not to mention I have a massive weakspot for Caravans, M/H's and T5's :)
I really need to stay local for work and school purposes :notworthy:
The Renualt M/H I'm going to view can be driven on a can licence.:thumb: To be honest I'm not the best driver. I'd be a nervous M/H driver but I will give it a try, if it doesn't work for me then its a Tourer. :notworthy:
There Caravan Club site is 5 miles away so very local. The next one is 10 miles away.
Its a pity there isn't a static caravan site local to here, that would have made life alot easier. Regardless whether its a Tourer or M/H I'll still have to move every 28 days :cry:.
Another thing I need to look intot is insurance as I'm unsure what it would cost to insure a M/H.

Best Wishes
Angellica

johnnerontheroad

Angellica,

You do realise you need an address to get insurance, without one it is very expensive and there may be problems with the school without one. (catchment areas and all that) Also check out the LEZ for the M/H you are looking at. You say it is a Renualt but what is the conversion? An area of London would helpful for a site.

Dave

vwalan

i say get away from london .
its a high cost insurance area . get into the country it drops the price of insurance .
plus more likely to find a place to park for longer than 28days .
driving licence . vehicle docs etc all require an address .
i choose to live down here as its all in a cheap area .

coolasluck

i choose to live down here as its all in a cheap area .

You say that AL but i moved from where i used to live and into a posher area and they put my insurance up.
Perhaps i need to start living in a run down area in a council estate:cautious:

coolasluck

Hi Friends,

Another thing I need to look intot is insurance as I'm unsure what it would cost to insure a M/H.

That question is dependant on age and no doubt what you tell them.
We dont know what you would want to spend on a motorhome or a caravan , but it would obviously factor into the equation.What i would say is when you get some quotes dont tell them that you are going to be fulltiming unless you are prepare for a massive hike in premium,remember that what you tell one broker will be shared with other insurance companies.

If i was you i would put the child in a home and take the 2 pets fulltiming,would give you more space, and a good deal more peace and quiet:rofl: but thats just me:)

vwalan

you need to chat with a good broker they can tell you what areas are cheaper . where you are could be higher as its a bit of a crowded area . torquay paigton it a bit up market . again its like your house ,move to a little village location in a cheap motoring /house insurance area . all makes sense.
when i moved here 26 yrs ago i took all that into the equasion. plus the building of sheds etc . you need to find that little corner .
and coola ,thats not very nice putting kids in a home ...
why not eat them . nice on a bbq.
i like kids from africa they come part cooked or browned off .heee hee. :rolleyes:

coolasluck

Hey al i would imagine that the insurance went through the roof once you arrived in nice quiet roche;)
From a sedate pleasant little area to a place over run with speeding inconsiderate truck drivers who dont care who parks on their drive.:D

vwalan

thats me.

Adverts