Mina de Sao Domingos

Willum

If you were contemplating heading for this lovely winter site in Portugal, down by the barragem, it's been cleared of all motorhomes - by the GNR. It happened on Tuesday night (just got the BBQ going nicely) and they arrived, told everybody to go, and dished out a €30 fine to anyone who argued (3 Brits, included).
I think the locals were pee'd off by the car park slots all being filled with vans and a complaint went in. I can see their point in a way.
It was a really lovely site, despite having to trek 400 yards for the service point and it's a shame it wasn't properly sectioned off, with an area reserved for cars going to the beach, and perhaps a 'No Motorhomes between May and October' sign. Trouble is, in true Portuguese style, they left a big sign up that makes it look like an Aire, let it happen for years and then put up a small sign excepting motorhomes and caravans - which everybody ignored, locals included.
You can still use the big, rough ground area to the north of the barragem but it is just that. Rough ground and noisy with lots of dogs in the compounds around the outside - and host to the occasional influx of Gypsies.
It's in all the books, Vicarious, Bord Atlas, etc, etc but the local GNR 'Inspector' was seen most nights checking it was clear.
A pity. It's a poor area and must have lost a lot of trade in the local shops and restaurants.

BigMomma

Sorry to hear that news :cry: it was a really lovely spot and the little village/town was so friendly and welcoming. Another one bites the dust, bet it isn't the first and it won't be the last, Motorhoming parking places are getting fewer whilst the Motorhoming community is growing, it can only get worse me thinks :(

Merle

Apologies for my ignorance but could you give further details of this now ex stop please, rough area or nearest town, something like that, so that I can update my aires book. Thanks
Whoops just read the thread title .... sorry

BwB

That's a shame, we had a nice few days here. Although it looked as if most of the other motorhomes had been here months. The guy in the unusual 5th wheel type caravan looked like he'd been set up there for years :) Nothing like a bit of hospitality abuse to cause problems tho, is there?

sundowners

Do you know if vans have been moved from nearby spots??? Whenever we have stayed there it has been packed so never stayed more than a night --------we were under the Impression it was an official aire, it's a shame but there are plenty of other places nearby,---at the moment, -----That whole area of Portugal is easy to wild camp with Aires to use for dumping etc.
We saw that 'unusual' 5er there also.

BigMomma

Whilst it has always been viewed as 'helpful', within the Motorhoming community, to share information on nice little backwaters for Wildcamping, unfortunately, as the regular places are now becoming fewer and the 'International' Motorhoming community increasing, the places that once accommodated a handful of Motorhomes are now being inundated as people search for more and more places to 'free camp'. I can certainly understand why their is reluctance to share knowledge on these locations as once the 'word' is out, it then becomes the end for that location.

BigMomma

What seems unusual this year is that the beach area near us, which normally has half a dozen or so Motorhomes parked up, has been completely empty over the last four days since we arrived here. We did note last year that vehicles that did park up seemed to disappear within a few hours of arriving, I have not seen any restrictive signs but Police were patrolling frequently. Once we get out and about I will take a look at some of the other favourite little hideaways and see if it is the same story along this part of the Coast.

BwB

Maybe a new aire has opened near by? Seem to have been plenty opening over the last few years and once they have somewhere for them to be, they seem to be "encouraging" motorhomes to use the new facilities. It was only a matter of time.

Dunroamin

We were in Mertola and asked passing GNR where we could park up by the Fluvial and they gave us directions to Mina do Sao Domingos , that was last Saturday.We didnt park up at the the barragem and if we had known that it was a winter parkup for plastic fantastics we wouldnt have gone near it.We parked up along the narrow gauge railway line from the mines to the river.We are now in Spain at Peurto Serrana heading for La Linea and Morokko.

Dunroamin

It has been pissing it down for the last 2 days and according to ÿr.no"it will be worse today,running out of supplies tho so off to Lidls to load up with 4 months beer supplies and summit to eat.

BigMomma

Cloudy but dry in the Manilva area at the moment, had a small shower earlier this morning and some forecast for later this evening. Locals tell me that they need lots more rain as the region was so hot this summer that they were close to draught. You should be well stocked up now, liquid refreshment wise, for your trip across the water to Morroco :thumb: Are you going in to Ceuta or Tangier ?

coolasluck

Loads of heavy rain in arcade where we spent a couple of nights. The nights have got colder too but for now we are also At lidls stocking up on food but it is cool but sunny.Not long now and we will be in Portugal.

Willum

Apologies for my ignorance but could you give further details of this now ex stop please, rough area or nearest town, something like that, so that I can update my aires book. Thanks
To help with updates to dodgy (Vicarious?) Aires books :( the bit everybody got turfed off is the properly made, lit, tree-shaded carpark, down by the barragem 'beach' and restaurant. There were twenty-odd motorhomes crammed into that official carpark. We were outside the 'restricted area but the GNR seemed to change their mind and wanted the whole area cleared.
The service point up by the road is still functional, except the 'non-potable' water. The public wash house adjacent has non-potable available - along with a dear old, deaf, slightly potty, local lady, who insists on 'helping'.
There were never any services by the barragem, except when the cafe was open at weekends/holidays, and then only a simple loo. Apparently it used to be left open but the inevitable abuse (loo dumping, not cleaning up, etc) made them lock the loos when the cafe wasn't open. Happily, the free wifi is still always on.
The rough area, slightly above and to the north of the barragem is still an acceptable motorhome parking area - or at least it was when we left. As someone said a little later on here, a few 'permanent' inhabitants appeared just before we left on Saturday, the solar farm being set up and 2 metre sat dishes nailed to the floor, etc, etc.
I hope something changes - but I doubt it. We have friends who own property in Portugal and spend a lot of time in the local community at Mina de Sao Domingos, so hopefully we'll get a heads up on what happens.
Will.

Dunroamin

We are still in la linea stocking up with all we need it has been pissing it down since we left Portugal and our 26 year old genny that has never missed a beat has decided to only run on choke cant mend anything in the pissing rain on the ferry to Tangier on tue or wed,

Willum

We are still in la linea stocking up with all we need it has been pissing it down since we left Portugal and our 26 year old genny that has never missed a beat has decided to only run on choke cant mend anything in the pissing rain on the ferry to Tangier on tue or wed,
Might be teaching Granny to suck eggs but:
Only running on choke?
Almost certainly fuel starvation.
Check any filters - including sneaky ones on tanks.
Take off float bowl and clean out muck.
Remove and blow out jets - if you can. Do NOT poke out with hard wire objects, like a wire brush.
Remove and blow clear float valve.
After reassembly but before refitting float bowl, turn on fuel and watch for a good, steady flow through float valve. Some have a filter in the banjo where fuel line attaches to carb body.
Refit float bowl and finally (if it has one) remove drain valve in float bowl, turn on fuel and check it flows clear. Mine actually has a captive screw and a drain pipe that takes the fuel away onto the floor - but it's Japanese and motorcycle technology.
Also, modern unleaded petrol tends to build up a lot of deposits in older carbs over the years - enough to cause that sort of problem. (nightmare with my old, 70's, bike.)
Again, if it's teaching Granny to suck eggs, I apologise.
Good luck. I think there are gaps in the rain, we are now at Vila Real de San Antonio in Portugal, to the west of you, and the storm blew through overnight - but it must have dumped several inches of rain. A bit of sunshine for the solar now and again.
Will

Dunroamin

athanx for the tips but yes ,if it moves I can mend it blindfolded with one hand behind my back.Thing was to get the carb off you hve to do a fair bit of stripping down and her indoors would have a fit if I brought it in.I got 2 new plugs for it and like you say more than likely fuel problem.The pissoff was the week long rain and very little solar coming in and stuck inside with nowt but lekky things to play with.Catch 22.We are on the ferry tomorrow and can sort it all in the sun. The gennies are at least at that time sidevalve low compression motors primitive but right for the job.

Dunroamin

Might be teaching Granny to suck eggs but:
Only running on choke?
Almost certainly fuel starvation.
Check any filters - including sneaky ones on tanks.
Take off float bowl and clean out muck.
Remove and blow out jets - if you can. Do NOT poke out with hard wire objects, like a wire brush.
Remove and blow clear float valve.
After reassembly but before refitting float bowl, turn on fuel and watch for a good, steady flow through float valve. Some have a filter in the banjo where fuel line attaches to carb body.
Refit float bowl and finally (if it has one) remove drain valve in float bowl, turn on fuel and check it flows clear. Mine actually has a captive screw and a drain pipe that takes the fuel away onto the floor - but it's Japanese and motorcycle technology.
Also, modern unleaded petrol tends to build up a lot of deposits in older carbs over the years - enough to cause that sort of problem. (nightmare with my old, 70's, bike.)
Again, if it's teaching Granny to suck eggs, I apologise.
Good luck. I think there are gaps in the rain, we are now at Vila Real de San Antonio in Portugal, to the west of you, and the storm blew through overnight - but it must have dumped several inches of rain. A bit of sunshine for the solar now and again.
Will
Hi,
Stripped the carb out and gave it a visual,being in Maroc an ultrasonic cleaning thingy is out of the question,gave it a bit of a blow thru but no joy so 500 gramms caustic soda 5 litres of warm water and a 5 second dip then in a bucket of fresh water,worked a treat.A bit savage but it worked for me in the old days. A bit of rain here but worse further South so wait til the weather clears up a bit then move on.

Adverts