Medical Assistance

Easyliving

If you are travelling abroad make sure you have an EHIC card and it is up to date.

I had a bad fall here in Spain and thanks to the EHIC card I got an ambulance to the hospital and fantastic treatment and didn’t pay a penny.

Paul

chrisjones18

If outside the uk make sure the ambulance takes you to a state hospital (not private) you will also need the ehic card on you , not back in the motorhome.
You will then be treated like a local.

BigMomma

I needed hospital treatment whilst in Spain in December, used my EHIC Card, medical care was first class and apart from paying €8 for 3 prescriptions at a local Pharmacy once discharged, the hospital treatment did not cost me a penny But, just erring on the side of caution, if you intend to visit Europe after 31st December (subject to changes in the Transition Date) you may need to purchase Medical Insurance as the EHIC Card may no longer be valid, unless separate arrangements are put in place between U.K. govt and individual EU Countries.

As for the UK, I remember you saying on a previous post that you have a son, I would suggest using his address to register with a local Medical Practice. If you need medical assistance whilst on the road just turn up at a local practice or hospital, they will treat you but will ask for the name of your local practice, usually so they can forward any medical notes for the issue and treatment that they have provided you with. Also, if you need any long term medications then by registering at your son's local medical practice you should be able to get repeat prescription sorted or authorised by them

Easyliving

Of course no one knows for sure what will happen after 1st January next year, maybe we will need health insurance.

Don’t forget the thousands of tourists and workers that come to the UK every year - will they also need expensive insurance? Maybe the EU governments will keep the EHIC scheme going for a while.

I was watching one of those ‘place in the sun’ type programmes a few weeks ago, they said Brits buy 15,000 properties a year in Spain. Will they want to endanger that?

BigMomma

Of course, we have no idea what is going to happen and even if the EHIC Card in its current form will no longer apply, there may be other agreements negotiated, let's hope so :thumb:

Brits may buy properties in Spain but that has nothing to do with the medical insurance. I understand the point but if you watch the actual property market in Spain you will see that it is now going back into a slump again, one of our Spanish neighbours is an Estate Agent and she tells us that she is putting a lot of property onto the market for Brits who are selling up and leaving, that is both 'Expats' and Non-residents.

We are not organised in the UK, our Hospitals and Medical Centres treat the sick first, the Europeans take you to an Admin Reception and ask for either your EHIC Card or your Insurance Card first

At the moment the EU are playing hardball, but if Boris maintains his hard stance it will be interesting to see how many EU Countries put pressure on Brussels to compromise, as they have a hell of a lot to lose as we and their economies will be hit hard as we import a lot from around the whole of the EU. It is going to be interesting to watch over the next two or three months

chrisjones18

If you go to Gibraltar and need a hospital make sure you choose the right one.
One is government run ( with a long wait) the other is private. Both good with treatment.

chrisjones18

Is the one next to Morrisons the Public or Private one ?
Never been to it but I think that is St Bernard's the public gov one.
Apparently things go at the slow pace that is associated with that part of the world
The Spanish one where you are could be the better option.

Adverts