Locked Down

BigMomma

I didn't take it personally Will ;) Glad to hear that you are remaining positive through this difficult period. I am of the same opinion as you in respect of the vaccine, although one can only hope that the scientists will come up with something. We cannot do much about 'this' outbreak now, it is too late for that as it is already with us, but I do think that we could do something to prevent another similar episode, but alas I fear that Global economies and greed for wealth will stand in the way of progress in this respect:(

chrisjones18

Eric I go along with you on the what animals get fed theory.
Chemicals are bad....... end of discussion in my view.
I have divicular disease and cant have food with e numbers (chemicals ) in it

vwalan

best we cut down more trees and have more grass for the animals to eat.
but never mind if this does halve the worlds population there should be more room for some of us.
never know it might be that we could let animals live and use the campsites to live on.
trouble is the veggie crowd are getting too big and eating food thats better used for animal feeding.
lots of veg get sprayed with chemicals to make them grow .
stop wind farms as they hinder pollination of food growing etc .
plus they alter the pattern of the wind so we spoil the weather system.
lots of change required for a perfect world.

BigMomma

best we cut down more trees and have more grass for the animals to eat.
but never mind if this does halve the worlds population there should be more room for some of us.
never know it might be that we could let animals live and use the campsites to live on.
trouble is the veggie crowd are getting too big and eating food thats better used for animal feeding.
lots of veg get sprayed with chemicals to make them grow .
stop wind farms as they hinder pollination of food growing etc .
plus they alter the pattern of the wind so we spoil the weather system.
lots of change required for a perfect world.
:think: We appeared to manage before, without cutting down rain forests or intensive farming. The population does not have to stop eating meat totally, as for reducing the Population, Wars, Poor Health and Pandemics seem to have that corner well covered. Organic farming does not require chemicals. Wind farms harness the power of nature how on earth does it effect or alter the direction of the wind ? If that where the case, the same would apply when the wind hit housing estates, skyscrapers etc. Mining, drilling and fracking doesn't just rape the planet of its resources but it does widespread permanent damage to the seabeds and land they take the resources from. But of course, as you seem to imply, why bother trying to save our planet, it's all too difficult so let's not bother :rolleyes:

Dunroamin

:think: We appeared to manage before, without cutting down rain forests or intensive farming. The population does not have to stop eating meat totally, as for reducing the Population, Wars, Poor Health and Pandemics seem to have that corner well covered. Organic farming does not require chemicals. Wind farms harness the power of nature how on earth does it effect or alter the direction of the wind ? If that where the case, the same would apply when the wind hit housing estates, skyscrapers etc. Mining, drilling and fracking doesn't just rape the planet of its resources but it does widespread permanent damage to the seabeds and land they take the resources from. But of course, as you seem to imply, why bother trying to save our planet, it's all too difficult so let's not bother :rolleyes:
Read the plague Camus as relevant today ad when written.

Willum

Read the plague Camus as relevant today ad when written.
There are a couple of other books I've read - memory fails regarding the titles/authors - that describe the various plagues that ravaged Europe during the Middle Ages. There are a lot of parallels. Some of them were much more virulent - and a much higher percentage fatality.
Trouble is, I feel it might make very depressing reading at the moment.......... so I won't.
Will

vwalan

just about the whole of uk was forests after the ice age. we cut all just about the tree,s down.
windmills do steal the power of the wind . calling it harnessing is only another word for stealing.
lessen the power in one direction and it allows wind that used to be blown away seem stronger in places .
now we get eastern winds and north and south winds seem or appear stronger..
spain suffered it years ago pollination around tarrifa etc became a problem so many farmers just stopped growing things.
but uk hasnt been able to feed itself for over a hundred years .
mind farming as such was brought here years ago when uk folk were just hunter gatherers not farmers .
the real problem is over population . one person can have one child . that might help.
but for awhile we may let the organic crowd try to make things better .
dont put much hope in it though.

BigMomma

So, getting back to the primary topic of this discussion, which was about how viruses pass from animals and get into the food chain and not about other environmental issues, which is a whole separate issue. But let me just clarify, I have not stated that humans should NOT eat meat or that we should all turn into vegetarians or vegans, that is purely a personal choice for individuals to make and it was Alan that introduced the subject of 'Veggies' into the discussion. I did allow myself to get detracted, and whilst environmental issues are all very good topics for discussion, and it is really good to get discussions going about such subjects, but the subject of Viruses is the hot topic right now. I notice that the Scientists advising the Government have not once mentioned how this current virus started, I do not mean apportioning blame to a specific Country, but much deeper than that, what is this virus, where did it originate and how, and especially why, have humans contracted it ? By looking into this and finding the answers, which are actually already out there, then by doing something about dealing with the 'source' and not just labouring over the 'impact', may actually go a long way into preventing such Pandemics in the future.

Willum

So, getting back to the primary topic of this discussion, which was about how viruses pass from animals and get into the food chain and not about other environmental issues, which is a whole separate issue. But let me just clarify, I have not stated that humans should NOT eat meat or that we should all turn into vegetarians or vegans, that is purely a personal choice for individuals to make and it was Alan that introduced the subject of 'Veggies' into the discussion. I did allow myself to get detracted, and whilst environmental issues are all very good topics for discussion, and it is really good to get discussions going about such subjects, but the subject of Viruses is the hot topic right now. I notice that the Scientists advising the Government have not once mentioned how this current virus started, I do not mean apportioning blame to a specific Country, but much deeper than that, what is this virus, where did it originate and how, and especially why, have humans contracted it ? By looking into this and finding the answers, which are actually already out there, then by doing something about dealing with the 'source' and not just labouring over the 'impact', may actually go a long way into preventing such Pandemics in the future.
Hmmmm. I suspect the singular lack of discussion reference the origins of the virus is because if we throw the political correctness constraints out the window and look very closely at the origins and transference detail, we might get a somewhat unpleasant answer. I did hear at least one newshound ask a minister if there would be a reckoning with the country/countries deemed responible. The answer was the usual avoidance of the actual question - not that I really expected a direct one. We've already had that dork Trump (sorry, can't help it) trying to blame China and China inferring it came from an American lab. Trouble is, throwing stones like that sometimes escalates into much nastier scenarios.
It would be very good if, when we get a grip of this thing, the political will could be found in some very powerful nations to properly investigate the origins, without the need to apportion blame, then learn from it and co-operate to improve the situation. It would benefit everyone - but when was that ever a factor that moderated Corporate and Political greed. Brexit is yet another example of that greed, heightened by xenophobia - and I make NO apologies for that opinion.
Will

vwalan

just gods way of cutting the population .
there as been loads of happenings over the millions of years .
be it floods or deserts etc it never ends .
ice, fire ,earth quakes ,.
we only have to think about what caused the mountains or the valleys , or how the worlds biggest lake is no longer the biggest and its now in the desert.
but never mind folk were travelling around thousands of years ago trying to find a better place to live.
best go for a ride around incase the world comes to an end tomorrow.
no good blaming politicians or the businessmen , its really the normal public thats at fault they buy things , that allows others to sell them things . if public didnt buy the shops couldnt sell.
the public travel around , some will never do as they are told.
be better to ask them not to do things , being told we cant means we must.
the public are responsible for just about every thing , they join the forces and fight . then complain.
they buy things from supermarkets then blame the supermarkets for selling it.
they stopped using local small shops because it was cheaper in the big ones then blamed the small shops . later they blamed the big shops for getting rid of the small shops.
they vote a party in to govern then later vote a different one in , but complain about all parties.
i blame education . when folk knew very little they didnt complain.
but never mind gods in charge and he will do what ever pleases him.

Last edited:

BigMomma

I agree with you Will, unfortunately by acknowledging the issue and doing something about it would, most definitely, create hundreds of thousands of losses of jobs, not only in livestock farming but all the associated Industries that go alongside it. That would create an even bigger financial crisis across some major Countries across the globe and that is why Leaders of Countries, Politicians and even some Scientists do not want to address the issues head on, the backlash from the large Corporations that fund or donate large sums of money would mean that Populist leaders would be out of favour and replaced, what is that saying about 'Money talks'.

chrisjones18

Alan, which God would that be?:giggle:
No dont answer that...

vwalan

Alan, which God would that be?:giggle:
No dont answer that...
well there are certainly many books that mention him.
mind very often the translations and meanings get very confused.
depends where you are as to which book the locals are reading.
most do give good reasons to do as they advise, but some dont move with the times and still quote things that really were important centuries ago.
unfortunately even the religious teachers dont seem to under stand that times have moved on .
does seem that as more folk get degrees etc that more dont get common sense is more important
mind it does look like more families are doing things together in this crisis and adults and children are learning things that they may never have thought important in life these days .
mind many didnt learn them anyway as they grew up years ago.
the world may be a better place soon.

Willum

........................................ the world may be a better place soon.
...........and to complement that beautiful Linnet I saw yesterday, there's an enormous flock of pigs just gone over................ :D:D:D
Sorry Alan, couldn't resist - and in reference to another of your quotes:
"they vote a party in to govern then later vote a different one in , but complain about all parties"
here is what I think is a pretty good response from a wise man, more than 200 years ago:
"Every nation gets the government it deserves". It was written by Joseph de Maistre who was a Savoyard lawyer, diplomat, writer, and philosopher who was around from 1753 to 1821. So you're perhaps right.
Nothing changes.
Will

BigMomma

Well what can I say except, if you are reading this, then like me, we are the fortunate ones, we actually woke up this morning And we awoke in our own beds and not in a hospital bed wearing an oxygen mask or on a ventilator machine, we have food in the cupboards and access to clean and fresh drinking water, we are the lucky ones Stay safe everyone

vwalan

hopefully it will rain soon and then we will be able to collect lots of nice fresh rainwater .
soon be time to go hedge hopping and get nice fresh fruit and things to eat for free.
lots of nice pheasants to be had round here.
glad i dont live in a town.
lots of lovely lambs in the fields now and lots of calves out for a change.
life just carries on as normal really.
i,m sure uk is the best place to be .
its nice to visit other countries but nice to come back again.

Willum

Well what can I say except, if you are reading this, then like me, we are the fortunate ones, we actually woke up this morning And we awoke in our own beds and not in a hospital bed wearing an oxygen mask or on a ventilator machine, we have food in the cupboards and access to clean and fresh drinking water, we are the lucky ones Stay safe everyone
Ah-men to that!!

lots of nice pheasants to be had round here.
Must be different closed season down there, Alan?;)
As for the rest of your suggested protein sources: Most of the farmers I know have shotguns............. :D :D
Will

vwalan

its nice to see the lambs etc that means local food is being born and grown.
best not steal them,let the farmer make a few shillings .
but lots of green shoots are around for the picking.
some you can use for wine making as well ,certainly nettle wine is fantastic.
on the moors near where i live pheasants etc are always plentiful .
mind i find them and the grey squirrels and sometimes foxes come out and almost say hello when i,m out on my little m,bike.
its strange ,last year i stopped and had a chat with one of the farmers i know , helped him feed some of the lambs .later as i drove slowly past the fields the lambs then as they grew sheep came across the fields to say hello.
didnt happen if i was in the truck. even tourists laughed as the animals came to where we parked . this was out at the longstone by st breock wind farm.the stone is the largest standing stone in cornwall and as been there since possibly 2000yrs bc. worth a visit if down here.
i used to work in a local slaughter house so know lots of local farmers , mind alot have gone these days ,age captures us all.
as for lockdown it does seem france might be extending its lockdown . eu might be out for us for ages at this rate.
but smile , be happy wave at your locals and make the best of what you have,

Adverts