Locked Down

Willum

Is anyone else locked down in Spain, or is it just us? :(
Haven't been on for a while but MH365 seems VERY quiet, just a bunch of spam getting in and not an awful lot else.
Don't really know what's actually happening here, UK Gov website says all campsites are closing, locals say if you're in and established, then you can stay - as long as you obey the local rules about travel/movement/shopping, etc. They're quite tight here (Costa del Sol) but predictably they are being ignored in some senses, especially by the locals.
Will
.................. thumb twiddling...........................

BigMomma

I have read on another forum today that the Spanish have announced that all short term holiday campsites are to close on Monday and that foreign tourists are to make their way home. You are not alone there are loads of Motorhomers in Spain and Portugal, some on sites some Wildcamping, the problem appears to be with Ferries that keep getting cancelled. At the moment Campsites in U.K. are still open but for how much longer we do not know. This evening the Govt has announced that as from Friday all schools will be closed, we are about one week behind Spain for the restrictive measures but they are coming, it isn't a good time for anyone. Stay safe and try to get home as soon as you can :thumb:

Willum

Yep, we got that and all the other relevant stuff by subscribing to:
ie the FCO's latest emails, as published.
Despite that, the campsite staff are still saying we are secure here, they aren't and they're pretty much on the ball with their info. The Police are very much in evidence according to everyone who's gone shopping. Shopping isn't a free-for-all, either. Only one per family in the shop at any one time, gloves issued on entry, security guard on every isle, making sure the panic buy idiots don't get the chance and restrictions at the till on quantities.
The site is being well looked after and we are well isolated from the general masses here and there are only about 10 campers/caravans left on a site that takes 90ish. Mainly from Sweden (where it appears there are no quarantine requirements yet, although Norway has imposed them), a couple of Brits, Norwegian and Spanish, 1 each from Belgium and Luxembourg.
Spain's medical system always was and remains good. They appear to be coping well, the locals even come out on their balconies every night at 8pm and applaud them. It's heart warming to witness, even 'lump in the throat' time.
All that said, my wife has COPD (lung disease) and it's a real concern if she were to contract Corona.
My conundrum is that if I set off home and get ill, I'm in real trouble. It's a minimum of a two or five day drive. Isolated somewhere in the middle of Spain, or France, with that sort of health issue would be pretty concerning. Quarantine for us is the 29th March to know if (no guarantees) we're clear as far present knowledge of the virus goes.
The ferries from the north of Spain have been cancelled, so at the moment it would only be France, or Belgium - with the attendant border issues.
Plan B is store it here and fly home - and pray the system doesn't collapse and I come back to a shell...........
Will

BigMomma

You seem to be in a very good situation at the moment and if it were me I would stay put if the Campsite tell you that you can I had not heard that the Ferries from Bilbao had been stopped, a few cancellations, is this something that has just happened ? But whatever, just stay safe the Spanish appear to be well organised, better than the muppets over here

chrisjones18

As Eric says if the campsite say you can stay, I would do exactly that and stay put.
Yesterday in San Roque police were issuing fines for people for being out without a good reason.
I had heard the last ferry from northern Spain is on 21st though I have not checked that.
We are in the uk as I had an operation last week which I have waited ages for.. just got on before they have cancelled all but life saving operations.
Eric, the muppets are moving, well they are rounding up the reservsits in the background even though they say they aren't.

chrisjones18

Will. Have you checked the n332 site
There was a royal decree in Spain ....RD463.20 that makes it illegal for a passenger to travel in a vehicle from midnight on 18/3 , unless exceptions allow.

Easyliving

We were on a site near Dénia in Spain until 6th March when we headed for France. This Corona virus has got really bad in Spain and France and rather than take weeks touring France and visiting relatives we ended up making a 700 mile dash for the Tunnel terminal.

My wife has been in touch with some Brits that are still on our old site, seems they have really cracked down on those that are still there with many new restrictions.

Luckily, we got back okay and are ‘self isolating’ on a small site in Norfolk.

Good luck everyone, stay safe.

Paul

fanofatan

We were in the South of France in the Gruissan area earlier this week until we decided to pack up and leave, travelling up through France quickly as we heard rumours of 'being locked in', we spent a couple of nights in Bray Dunes just outside Dunkerque, making a appointment at a local Dunkerque vets for the dog as we drove North
Once the dog was wormed, we had to wait the usual 24hrs before we could get the Shuttle (we thought this may have been relaxed, but no)
Leaving an eerily deserted France we arrived in Folkestone which was brimming with people who seemed to be blissfully unaware of the restrictions and rules in place over the water
decided to escape from there asap, driving back to Scotland for self isolation
stay safe everyone

Willum

Matters have more or less been taken out of our hands. More restrictions are being applied, the campsite is issuing indemnity waivers (sign it, or leave tomorrow) and has effectively washed its hands of any and all responsibility - probably being leaned on by their insurers, or lawyers. We can stay but - if we do, we are fully responsible for any and all expenses incurred if we get ill, medical included. I suspect it's a hand-washing exercise, so there's no comeback on them. I also suspect a bit of local government leaning so the tourists/winter travellers all get out and take a bit of pressure off their medical services. Our original feeling of safety has evaporated pretty quickly. All but one Brit, two locals, a guy from Luxembourg and an elderly Swedish bungalow dwelling couple will be gone by Tuesday - and some of those may well change their minds when they see the latest daily edict.
Pat's lung problem says we can't take the risk of being cut loose by the local medical services. She only normally needs an inhaler but this thing is such an unknown quantity that with the apparent vulnerability of older people with breathing impairment, we aren't risking it. We've decided on storing the camper where we are now and flying out Saturday late morning. Don't like the idea because I've absolutely NO idea when we'll be allowed/find it safe to came back and I can't help but feel sure that DVLA/Insurers/whatever will be bound to make a meal of it. MOT's due end of May, Insurance November.
Either way, I'll just have to find a way round it.
Roll on the Corona Virus immunisation jab:sweating:
Wish me luck.
Will

Willum

Will. Have you checked the n332 site
There was a royal decree in Spain ....RD463.20 that makes it illegal for a passenger to travel in a vehicle from midnight on 18/3 , unless exceptions allow.
Yep, it would appear that one of the accepted exceptions is to go home. It doesn't seem to discriminate if your home is 1500/3000 miles away......................
The Swedes/Norwegians/Belgians are taking that approach and so would I if I'd decided to drive. France is the bit that worried me - especially if something went wrong. The last sailings from the north of Spain that I could find all said fully booked. Options reduced to flying. We can self-isolate (again!) once we get home, so East Midlands here we come!
Will

chrisjones18

Hope you get the flight as there are flights getting cancelled 24hrs before they are due to go.
Problems are with jet2, easyjet, Ryanair and ba. We had a flight with jet2 for me to get over the op. It got cancelled and we have just got a email saying we are getting a refund as they have now suspended all flights indefinitely.
I can drive again in 2 weeks so we wait to see what happens. (Big red writing on the discharge papers from hospital telling me my insurance is void until then)

Willum

Hope you get the flight as there are flights getting cancelled 24hrs before they are due to go.
Problems are with jet2, easyjet, Ryanair and ba. We had a flight with jet2 for me to get over the op. It got cancelled and we have just got a email saying we are getting a refund as they have now suspended all flights indefinitely.
I can drive again in 2 weeks so we wait to see what happens. (Big red writing on the discharge papers from hospital telling me my insurance is void until then)
Yep, they're all bailing out hourly.
Whereabouts are/were you, Chris? We are due to depart from Malaga - with Jet2 :sweating:.
Not holding my breath. If they do cancel we'll just have to reconsider it all.
Stay and risk getting cut loose by the Spanish system, drive and try to get through the melee in France. It appears to be no entry to France without a ferry booking.
Either way we have about 2 hours work left to be properly packed enough to travel, even though the plan is to leave it here.
Fingers crossed
Will

chrisjones18

Will.
We are parked on a relations drive . Their neighbours are loving looking at the side of the motorhome. I had the operation in Gloucester hospital 8 days ago, we had booked a holiday on Malta so I could lie by a pool and do nothing for a week or so.it got cancelled. We are now thinking to go to West or Mid Wales but very unsure.one thing is we are totally fed up of the rain and wish we could head south for some Sun.
Good luck at the airport.

Willum

Will.
We are parked on a relations drive . Their neighbours are loving looking at the side of the motorhome. I had the operation in Gloucester hospital 8 days ago, we had booked a holiday on Malta so I could lie by a pool and do nothing for a week or so.it got cancelled. We are now thinking to go to West or Mid Wales but very unsure.one thing is we are totally fed up of the rain and wish we could head south for some Sun.
Good luck at the airport.
OK, so far no cancellation. Fingers still tightly crossed. Campeer all packed to store and ready to drive if the flight gets cancelled.
Not the best of locations for you - but to be candid I'd stay put and stay out of contact with everybody as much as possible. Can't imagine a wracking cough and stitches go together too well. The other thing is that from here the Brits just don't seem to be taking the self isolation bit that seriously. It spreads like wildfire, as the locals are finding out. Potentially every time you come into contact with someone, you can contaminate yourself.
Spain, France, Italy have all gone hard on the self isolation, Italy far too late. It's a bloody killer, especially for the elderly (me) or anyone with a compromised immune system.
Stay safe.
Will

Willum

MADE IT!!!
Good old Jet2, bless 'em. Turns out the aircraft was probably taken out there empty and returned as a rescue flight. Malaga airport was still pretty busy and most people, especially the staff, were wearing mask and gloves, us included. The Jet2 staff were really good. We had no suitcase, so rammed our old shopping trolley full and strapped it up tight. They rised an eyebrow, had a little discussion but let it through when I told them why. Immigration officialy simply just didn't let you withing 2 metres. The exceptions seemed to be Scandinavian and Brit passengers. There were constant announcements, in English and other languages, about keeping at least 1 metre distant from other people, yet when we got through security and parked ourselves to wait, one English woman got all ratty with me cos I told her not to park herself next to me and keep a metre away - and she certainly wasn't deaf........... There were other places to sit but no, she has to try and sit next to me! There are far too many people just not taking it seriously. I guess they might when us poor old sods start dropping like flies, or maybe they'll simply raid our houses for bogroll.
No sign of much in the way of protection by any of the airport staff at this end - but the shopping trolley arrived totally unscathed.:thumb:
I did notice quite a lot of campers parked up in laybys on the way home from the airport, several obviously rigged up to run a generator. Another method of self isolation, or Brit refugees home from Europe? A friend has a camper hire business in the Highlands of Scotland. There's a lot of complaint and anger at people self isolating out in the northern part of the region.
We're starting self isolation again and are lucky to own a big garden in a small, rural village, so few visitors to fend off and plenty to do.
In the meantime, I'm trying NOT to think about our marooned camper............:cry:
Will
stay safe

Last edited:

chrisjones18

Nice one, glad you are both ok. Spain have just added another 15 days to the lock down

fanofatan

well done Will, keep your heads down and stay safe
Your Camper will be there when you return...whenever that may be?

Willum

Nice one, glad you are both ok. Spain have just added another 15 days to the lock down
Hadn't seen that one yet, not properly read the FO briefs since we got back. From what I saw it won't be the last extension, either. I guess if you do it a bit at a time, rather than announce an instant 3/4/5/6 month lockdown, folk have steadily got used to the idea and don't fly off in an even bigger panic. The local muppets here seem to have stockpiled enough bogroll, so they have, apparently, moved on to booze..............
Will
By the way, it's a beautiful spring day here......

Willum

well done Will, keep your heads down and stay safe
Your Camper will be there when you return...whenever that may be?
Yep, thanks for the words of reassurance, I'm holding that thought as well.;)
I've confidence in the security of the site and confidence in the staff, been going there for years - though as we left the Manager, not owner, was happy to tell me it would be fine, not to worry, it will all be over in 3 weeks............... but he did quietly clasp his hands together and raise them and his eyes to the heavens.:wondering:

sundowners

Hi
Glad all sorted in the end!!!! Now you have to do like the rest of us oldies!
Without realising what was going to happen,. We drove our motorhome back to UK to sell------ it sold very quick and we immediately booked a flight back to Portugal, then all hell let lose with flights etc!!!!!!
We are now self isolating on our off grid plot in central portugal-----we will have to go out for supplies occasionally--- and keep our internet topped up!!!! But rules about ANY travel are very strict!!!
We were humming and harring about taking out Portuguese residence, looks like it turned out to be a good move!!!!-----
- up to now---- very few cases in central Portugal, hope it stays that way!!!!! Plenty to do on our land and we are well away from anyone else----- except when getting supplies!!!!!!!!
I think your campsite guy is being VERY optimistic!!!!!!! We are preparing for the long haul!!!!!!

Adverts