Kindle piece of poo

Dunroamin

At Heikes brother in laws birthday party yesterday talking to her sister who has a Kindle and ask her if she can read books from other sources and formats and she says apart from pdf "no" now Micky is no dummy when it comes to opening things that he shouldnt and decides to have a look and lo and behold without the credit card number with which you bought the book you cannot remove the DRM lock. My thinking now is anyone who bought a Kindle is a sucker for punishment. Buy an Ebook reader and buy wherever you like that is my advice, the other firms Barnes etc operate the same crap only Itunes are unlockable without credit card number. When I buy a paperback I can pass it on to whomever I please but it seems not a Kindle. It seems enough people get caught up in the hype and keep up with the jobbsies .

BigMomma

Not into technology in a big way, so my questions are genuine............Can you access and browse the internet on an Ebook reader ? The thing is, from the author's perspective, if you buy the book and then pass it on to other's then they are losing out financially. They put the time and effort in to write it, get it proof read and then published. They recoup some of these costs by 'selling' their work just like all the magazine publishers etc. I have not tried it, but why can you not use the Internet (from the Kindle), go onto another book store that sells Ebooks, have it sent to your Email and then convert to PDF and load to the Kindle :cautious: (If that can be done of course). Amazon are just a co-operative really, they can supply products from other companies, even books, which is why they have such a selection to choose from. My thought here being, if you can buy an Ebook on an Ebook reader from another source other than Amazon, then I would imagine that you could get the same book via Amazon anyway so what does it matter if you cannot access other sites ? What do you mean by 'other formats' ? I know I can download newspapers, magazines and books, what else am I missing out on ?

Please be gentle with me, I am no technophobe so do not genuinely know the answers :cautious:

Dunroamin

Ever since Caxton invented the printing press books have been sold and passed on,before the days of internet it was common practice. Now the danger is that the book will not pass through just a few hands but in the internet thousands or millions thus incurring a serious loss in royalties for the author - in. Big copyright problem musik , films and books but! in Africa for example there are no copyright laws and personally I dont agree with the copyright laws in their current form. Have you tried buying from a store other than Amazon ? You dont buy books with an Ebook reader,you read them with an Ebook reader , you buy them on the free market over the internet. Ebooks come in a variety of formats EPUB ,MOBI,PDF,AZW,CWZ, and a half dozen others, download Calibre it is a n Ebook prog , free Ebook organiser. There are thousands of free books on offer why pay. Check out Calibre and give the guy a donation , he deserves it.

Pollik

Well...I have about 3000 books for my kindle. Using Calibre, if any books I get are the wrong format, I convert them. Not had any problems with it. I even have a built in dictionary to help me read books which are in French...works just like the existing dictionary - just click on a word

I love my Kindle

Merle

Well...I have about 3000 books for my kindle. Using Calibre, if any books I get are the wrong format, I convert them. Not had any problems with it. I even have a built in dictionary to help me read books which are in French...works just like the existing dictionary - just click on a word

I love my Kindle
The books you sent me worked great thanks Polly, just not the dictionary, but I overcame that. All very much appreciated, Dave

BigMomma

Didn't intend getting into a spat so I won't pursue the topic of passing on books etc :D Still not sure about this Ebook reader thing, can you use it to browse the Internet ? There are loads of free books also on Amazon but I guess it is about what you are interested in. Sharon can read almost anything and everything whereas I am not an avid book reader and only read books that actually interest me, free or otherwise. I guess in this day and age there is so much technology choice available that it depends on what you want to use it for and level of aptitude to be able to use it. These iPhones just don't do it for me, too much going on with them and I probably wouldn't use 80-90% of what they can do. At the time, Kindle worked for me, meant I could take my choice of books without taking up the space that 'physical' books did and as I can use the Internet Kindle provided me with another useful function. Don't know about Ebook readers, whether they are better or not, but it is a mute point really as I now have the Kindle and unlikely to change. But, for anyone who loves their books and looking for something better than Kindle then your observations will be of great benefit :thumb:

BigMomma

Just another point on the Ebook reader :cautious: Does it provide free automatic updates ? Only thought of this as my Kindle automatically updated yesterday with additional features, didn't cost me anything, which is a nice change as usually anything that is technology based is usually out of date before it goes on sale and then you end up having to stick with old software or having to pay for upgrades.

aikidoamigo

'video piracy is a crime - do not accept it'

;)

vwalan

so is book swapping a crime if in paper use. thats what it comes down to .
you can buy a seconhand book in box full of them for a quid at the end of a car boot .
read them, then swap them and it goes on for years .
i bought 72 books with 4stories in each book for 2 quid at the dump about 10 yrs ago . still havent read them all .
am still swapping the other books .
is that not the same as video piracey in another form .
in cornwall piracey is a tradition. not a crime.

Pollik

Ah, such a big conversation. :)

Apparently, in the UK, Ed Sheeran is the most pirated music artist (no, I haven't heard of him either). He says he is quite happy about that, so long as people get to hear his music. And a recent online poll suggested that more than 60% download pirated media either regularly or occasionally.

There are lots of reasons, for this, I am sure, not least people (and artists) being tired of ripped off by the media industry that has previously cried wolf over cassette tapes and CDs. The industry could do a lot to help itself by providing consumers with what they want at sensible prices. I think people are growing tired of big corps generally...it is all part of the mood of the day - banks, politicians, the 1%. Massive demonstrations all over the western world.

vwalan

cant really think its a recent issue . years ago folk taped on proper tape recorders . then cassettes were the in thing .i have cassettes that were done in 1971 . still use them . yes bit of sellotape joins the breaks . i might be a dinosuar on these things but folk have copied recordered music stories etc for years .
i still like proper books . the feel, the smell, the well every thing about them . i like being old fashioned . i blame them beatles and rolling stones messed up good rock n roll. ha ha .

pelmetman & pelmetlady

Bought our Kindle mainly for the free wifi;).................although they've now changed the rules and I only have 50 mgb of free download a month now:(........Still useful for emergency emailing, I'll have to get one those antennae thingy's when we get back:thumb:

Merle

cant really think its a recent issue . years ago folk taped on proper tape recorders . then cassettes were the in thing .i have cassettes that were done in 1971 . still use them . yes bit of sellotape joins the breaks . i might be a dinosuar on these things but folk have copied recordered music stories etc for years .
i still like proper books . the feel, the smell, the well every thing about them . i like being old fashioned . i blame them beatles and rolling stones messed up good rock n roll. ha ha .
Some pages are useful in the smallest room then Alan:D If you only want to read a short story that is;)

Merle

Bought our Kindle mainly for the free wifi;).................although they've now changed the rules and I only have 50 mgb of free download a month now:(........Still useful for emergency emailing, I'll have to get one those antennae thingy's when we get back:thumb:
I might have the answer for you re antennae and unlocked dongle, I can't see us getting to use it for at least a couple of years. PM me if you would like more info, Dave

Dunroamin

Yes Pollik using the mad russians open source software, but what can you do with your kindle without it? My reader reads everything except drm locked Heikes sister says she can only read kindle and pdfs ,is that true?

BigMomma

I guess it's like everything, horses for courses as they say. I know people who buy the latest technologies just because they are the latest gismo's, not because they want or need all the applications, it's a bit of a status symbol. Technology is advancing leaps and bounds and without doubt I will be left behind because I just don't need (or indeed, understand)what they can do. Kindle suits me as it does just what I need, other Ebook readers it would appear can do things that Kindle cannot, so it depends on what it is that you require.

I still do not know whether you can browse the internet with these Ebook readers, Dunroamin didn't answer that one and do they provide automatic updates direct to the device, I genuinely do not know :( And to show my ignorance even further, I do not know what all those letters are that Dunroaming listed (EPUB, MOBI etc) although I have heard of PDF's :thumb: I guess it only really matters to those that need their device to do whatever it is they want it to do, if Kindle doesn't do it and an Ebook reader will then buy the Ebook reader, simples :D

coolasluck

Bottom line is that the kindle is solar powered and can run on for ages and is really portable.
I would like to (eventually)like to be able to sit on the beach or wherever with apaperbacked sized device that i can enjoy my books from.The kindle was always going to have its internet capped (you can blame the selfish people like pelmetman for ruining it all for the rest of us);)thank god he doesnt stay in our wilding spots :rofl:

coolasluck

Anyway i should be delivering chinese takeaways better get back to work;)

Adverts