Just Waking Up to Brexit ?

coolasluck

All I can say is I am fed up with all this brexit business. We have a woman who looks like a budgie who is hell bent on a deal at any cost. The referendum was to leave yes or no. If she wants to abide by what the people wanted then she should be leaving without a deal. I don't recall her asking us anything else. Leave means leave. I'd love to see another referendum but our country is being run by too many control freaks interested in nothing else than their own careers.

vwalan

You knew he was referring to you Eric don't you
i know he will take it in fun.
nice here now though the snow capped mountains of roche do actually have snow on them... not just white clay waste .
alot as melted away now though , was a bit warmer today .
http://www.newquayweather.com/
i only got a 8.7c but newquay reached a bit higher.
lots daffodils coming to flower though , its nice seeing it happen. the flower and green stuff growing is amazing this year.
gorse is looking lovely and yellow in full bloom.
might have to cut the lawn soon.
bet we have less snow in uk though than spain.

vwalan

dont worry i get weather reports from spain every day.
this time of year even if you are in sunshine you dont have to go far inland in spain to find deep snow.
but then most of spain is so high . makes ben nevis seem like a little hill.
average height of all land in spain is something like 650mtrs if my memory is correct.
amazing country inland .

BigMomma

dont worry i get weather reports from spain every day.
this time of year even if you are in sunshine you dont have to go far inland in spain to find deep snow.
but then most of spain is so high . makes ben nevis seem like a little hill.
average height of all land in spain is something like 650mtrs if my memory is correct.
amazing country inland .
Yes we like this area of Spain but looking forward to discovering more of the country, inland, when we get back 'on the road'. Going up into the mountains tomorrow, weather conditions good, forecast for 17 degrees, very sunny and minimal wind so taking this opportunity whilst we can, you know that you will read about it in my blog shortly afterwards :giggle:

Good to see some new 'active' Motorhomes just joined the forum :thumb:

Lots of Motorhomes down our part of Spain at the moment, free camping in lots of our local areas, good to see and talk to some of them but it doesn't half pull on our wanderlust strings :rolleyes:

vwalan

more and more m,homes on the roads every year.
in the 60,s traveling with my parents in a two month break in spain might see two or three uk m,homers .
never mind the others , they have grown as well.
did try a summer in spain but inland gets so hot and lots of flies etc .
best not camp . just park .hee hee

BigMomma

You are right,but not just in Europe, working on the Campsites we have seen a huge increase in the number of Motorhomes, of all shapes and sizes, whereas, it used to be mainly caravans now I would say that is more a 50/50 split. Southern Portugal and Spain have always been popular during the Winter months but even here, and certainly over the last 5 years, we have witnessed a significant increase of Motorhomers down here free camping. During the Winter the Spanish authorities appear to be much more tolerant of free campers on this part of the coast :thumb:

chrisjones18

[QUOTE="vwalan, post: 77976,
did try a summer in spain but inland gets so hot and lots of flies etc .
[/QUOTE]
Would love to see a few flies in the UK , alive ones would be great..
Bring me sunshine:whew:

vwalan

the worse thing with the spanish flies in summer they like biting folk.
i like uk summers but then i dare say depends where you are . certainly cornwall devon . dorset are great. have spent several weekends in somerset on the coast as well.
been ok the last couple of winters this year its only been the last week that hasnt been nice.
hasnt been all sunshine but quite pleasant , already have lots of daffodils in the garden.
last thursday was panic for many the snow on the hills around here caused chaos.
only need a little covering and it happens .
dont know what cornwall etc would do if they had snow like we used to get in yorkshire when i was a kid.

We got our first motorhome 15 years ago and in Scotland at that time you didn't see that many of them. They're an awful lot more popular now though, especially with the publicity around the NC500 route. We were up in the far north west at the start of January and I was surprised at just how many motorhomes there were, especially as very few (as in almost none) campsites were open.

BigMomma

As Scotland are more tolerant of 'Wildcamping' the situation could get even worse if and when Brexit kicks in and more British Fulltimers have to spend longer periods in the U.K. when their 90 days are up in the EU :think: The situation is not helped by the 'You Tube' fulltimers who VLOG about their trips in the U.K. and declare their 'Wildcamping' locations or give them away when they fly their drones, all of the 'Apps', like 'Park4Night' amongst others, that are brilliant resources by the way, but with all this on-line information, how long before these great isolated spots become inundated with Motorhomes leading to the increase in 'No Motorhome' signs being erected ? :tmi:

Last edited:

vwalan

do you really think the m,homers that spend winter in spain etc will be heading to scotland ?
in winter.
i know it will be spring and autumn.
already some county,s are monitoring pub stops etc as they are illegal already.
one of our local police was on about it only the other day. they are making lists of which pubs etc are joining in on it.

BigMomma

I think that they will be using the whole of the UK, but the tolerance is better in Scotland, less chances of a knock on the door telling you to 'move on' :rolleyes: So I do not understand, when has it been illegal to 'park' in a pub car park or to park on 'private property' with the owners consent ? as you keep telling us about when you were in Spain, as long as you do not have anything outside your van (Camping !!) or are on levelling blocks (Camping) or have Satelite/TV dishes in the 'up' position (Camping) and you are not in a place that specifically states 'No Campers' or 'No overnight parking' then you are just parked, arn't you ? You may be surprised at just how many Motorhomers were in Scotland over the Winter, even during the period when the UK was hit by the 'Beast from the East', lots of VLOGS on 'You Tube' about such trips and when you see their journey on the roads, via their 'GO PRO' dash cams, you see them passing lots of other Motorhomers who are doing the same :thumb:

Last edited:

vwalan

in the uk there are camping acts that stop camping in pub carparks . comes under the 28day rules .
parking is one thing but in uk we have different rules to spain.
have a look at the caravan and camping acts .
mind these days many places are making it difficult in spain , they can stop you if the local authority have got the right rules in place.
every country can use its rules but very often they dont use them properly.

BigMomma

You know I am playing devils advocate with you ;) But there is a point to these banters with you which I hope other members may focus on, the 'potential' issues that we (British Motorhomers), who enjoy, or for 'other' reasons, prefer to free camp, may have if Brexit forces more and more, who would normally spend time in Europe, to have to find places (Other than Campsites or CL/CS) to park up in U.K.

Now I know that all UK Motorhomers will not all travel to/from Europe at exactly the same time, so not thinking that there will be hundreds all descending on U.K. At the same time. But, how many of those fulltimers currently travel in Europe for more than 90 consecutive days ? Reading 'Blogs' and 'Vlogs' it is quite a considerable number and their are quite a few non-UK and non-EU nationals who come to UK when their 90 day Schengen period is up.

I just think that our roads and our free camping locations are going to get busier. I can foresee more height barriers being placed on car parks, beach parking locations and even Supermarket car parks to prevent the sort of stealth parking that goes on in Walmart, USA.

Will be interesting to watch what happens ? This of course is only my personal opinions and observations, I may well be totally wrong :think:

vwalan

yes it will be interesting.
its already daft with the idp,s. one wont cover all.
mind eu folk will probably need one to come to uk. and get insurance to cover uk .
all good fun though. hee hee.
africa is the place to visit though.
once shipping and ferry gets going.

BigMomma

Apart from the contaminated fuel incident on our last day in Morroco, we enjoyed our limited time over there, think we spent 7-8 weeks. I think many are still very cautious of venturing into parts of Africa (Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt) in Motorhomes as they feel unsafe. You and I and lots of others know that many of these places are quite welcoming and you just need to apply normal common sense and security measures as you would anywhere else.

The EU has already stated that 'Deal' or 'No Deal' UK tourists will not need a VISA if not staying longer than 90 days, so one less piece of beaurocracy, as for IDP's, you can pick them up for around £5 at Post Offices, no big deal there either. Insurance cover may just mean a Green Card, again no great shakes but the big one for most will be the no EHIC reciprocal cover, we will see what happens there and how much travel insurers then try to fleece tourists ? I actually do not think that travelling Europe will change too much, the Aires will still be there, as will the individuals knowledge and use of free camping locations, the only change will be the length of time you can stay but there are even ways around that if you plan it right ;)

No, I think the big change will be for those who have not planned for having to remain in the U.K. for longer periods and who do not have the budgets to utilise Campsites on a regular basis. Now is not the best time to be planning on quitting the 'Rat Race' and thinking that you can live a nomadic existence for the majority of the year in the EU, unless of course they are not averse to staying in the non-EU countries or Africa, or indeed they have the finances to stay on U.K. Campsites for more extended periods than they may have envisaged.

As you say, interesting times ahead, 29th March cannot come soon enough, unless of course they extend the nightmare ?

Oh well, time to go and get my beauty sleep, I know, I need it :rock: Just got five weeks left over here then will have to come back and do my 6 months on a UK Campsite :giggle:

Adverts