It's Still a Bl**dy Shambles...........

chrisjones18

Will, dont rush back , in Fort William now and the midges can fly in the rain.....
Might head for Sky and hope for wind....

Willum

Will, dont rush back , in Fort William now and the midges can fly in the rain.....
The local saying was that 'The midgies were so bl**dy thick in the air you could lean on them'
I think you may just be in the process of learning that bit of folklore :D
From personal experience: Don't expect any relief in Skye. Add to that, if the sun comes out, so will the horse flies - and they're twin-engined sods that can easily bite through a t-shirt.
On a more serious note, if you've never been to it, Glenbrittle has (had) a nice campsite, with mussels to pick off the rocks. Phone signal was poor to non existent but we didn't care. He had wifi, even if basic. That info is 7 years out of date but like most things in that neck of the woods, change is glacial.
Will
ps a little anecdote for the West Coast:
An American businessman arrived at Glasgow airport and took a taxis into town. The weather was typically summery: overcast and peein' down.
He said to the driver
"Jeeze! This is my third time here. Doesn't the goddam rain ever stop and let the sun come out?"
The driver replied
"I dinna ken. I'm only 21"
Another:
Contrary to popular belief, July and August are statistically wet months in Scotland, May and June the drier and warmer.
Enjoy :thumb:

vwalan

best keep your eyes open though as the one eyed ,one horned ,purple people eater is up around fort william.
might be around anyone of the loch,s or in the fort.
have fun but eyes open and you might see him.

Willum

best keep your eyes open though as the one eyed ,one horned ,purple people eater is up around fort william.
might be around anyone of the loch,s or in the fort.
have fun but eyes open and you might see him.
Nah, Alan! The big male Haggii usually scare them off long before humans get a sighting. It's the breeding season and they're quite territorial about now. :rofl:
Now 10 miles south of Dieppe, hiding in a bit of shade in a layby. 32C and a hot, dry wind. Back to Spanish mode, with a wet towel across the shoulders and the little USB fans running.
I shouldn't have gloated about the horse flies, Chris. I've just nailed the 10th big, ugly sod inside the motorhome.:eek:
Will

vwalan

i take it you dont know who i,m on about?
purple bob , he is up there some where .
several on here know him.
when you see his camper you will get the full picture .

vwalan

Nah, Alan! The big male Haggii usually scare them off long before humans get a sighting. It's the breeding season and they're quite territorial about now. :rofl:
Now 10 miles south of Dieppe, hiding in a bit of shade in a layby. 32C and a hot, dry wind. Back to Spanish mode, with a wet towel across the shoulders and the little USB fans running.
I shouldn't have gloated about the horse flies, Chris. I've just nailed the 10th big, ugly sod inside the motorhome.:eek:
Will
32 degrees! make sure you wrap up warm and llook out for black ice!!

chrisjones18

Well we are off to Sky tomorrow, full week of rain expected... but Mallaig looks inviting.
another note on things scottish.....
Got told by a schoolmate of Nicola Sturgeon that her nickname in school was (Seaweed) because the tide was the only thing that would take her out... though he reckons she's not so grumpy now.

chrisjones18

Not seen anything purple yet..
Though one hell of a lot of hired motorhomes, got told £1100 for a weeks hire....... from Dicksons

Willum

Oh, I remember the song alright, Alan. I'm easily old enough. :)
It was a choice between him, Sheb Wooley?. and Russ Conway for the first record I ever bought. Russ Conway won.
Will

Willum

Made it!!
Back at the Home Depot. 6 hour slog northward overnight, very, very little traffic, even on the M25. Tired to poach a slot at Newhaven but it was full of everything but motorhomes. The bit where we last parked up waiting for a ferry was full of trucks and cars. Stopped at one motorway services north of Hatfield and it was like a ghost town - and they wanted £20 to park overnight. :rofl:
Will

vwalan

Oh, I remember the song alright, Alan. I'm easily old enough. :)
It was a choice between him, Sheb Wooley?. and Russ Conway for the first record I ever bought. Russ Conway won.
Will
the song is one thing . purple bob has named his camper after the song .
he did have purple dreams on one camper and purple haze on another.
think he likes purple. hee hee .

Willum

the song is one thing . purple bob has named his camper after the song .
he did have purple dreams on one camper and purple haze on another.
think he likes purple. hee hee .
Ah! Now I'm with you. I'll put it down to tiredness................. :snooze:

Dee63

Things are moving on, then backwards again.
When Spain announced they were welcoming tourists in again from 1st July, we found Jet2 had scheduled a few flights to Malaga and grabbed a couple of cheap(ish) seats.
Whaddya know! You probably do! They've since decided Brits are 'persona no grata' because the UK has no way got control of the situation. Yea, maybe we jumped the gun a bit with the tickets, but.......
I've also got a bad feeling that since the campsite can open for locals, our 'rent' will jump to summer rates - 4 times the current. RATS!
Looks like we're stuffed in terms of getting the camper back here anytime soon.
We emailed the British Consulate to ask for guidance ref keeping the thing in Spain over the permitted 12 months, etc.
No response.
We emailed our local MP reference similar things and asking where we could get some guidance.
No response. Perhaps she knows I didn't vote for her.........
The UK is still a rudderless ship with a government still presiding over a managed cull of the vulnerable, all the time spouting platitudes about how terrible the loss is. Care Homes allegedly given money that they find the small print says they cannot spend on what they need. Then there's that much vaunted Track and Trace nonsense being trialed on the Isle of Wight. Been a bit quiet on that one recently. It appears that, predictably, the security of the 'app' is crap........ and don't start me off on Dominic Cummings........
There's one brighter bit of news for me, though. I passed my Old Pharts driving medical and sent off my licence in good time, to see it vanish into the bowels of DVLA. Surprise, surprise, it fell through the letterbox a few days ago. As usual with DVLA there always a thorn to wind me up. Up to their usual standards they had knicked 6 weeks of my 3 year entitlement by not renewing it from my birthday, but by starting it on the day they issued the licence. I believe they are following the Passport Office's lead. You are encouraged to send it off in good time to avoid disappointment - so they start the new one from the date of issue, instead of the date of expiry of the old one.
I find that to be a chiselling, dirty little trick by a government body who should be brought to book - but hey, when would a politician ever do that if it means you can extort a few more quid out of the law abiding punters?
That's my rant over for a while. Back to the house and driveway renovation - and with all this rain, more grass cutting :(
Will

Dee63

I too got in touch with my local MP, for first time ever, just regarding when we are likely to know what restrictions there might be once the transition period is over in 2021 for travelling europe. I know its not so important as what's happining at the moment, but it's so 'what if' I never received a reply also. Its all so up in the air with everything no one really know what's going on, it's just shambolic

Willum

I too got in touch with my local MP, for first time ever, just regarding when we are likely to know what restrictions there might be once the transition period is over in 2021 for travelling europe. I know its not so important as what's happining at the moment, but it's so 'what if' I never received a reply also. Its all so up in the air with everything no one really know what's going on, it's just shambolic
Yes, it is and making plans has gone on our back burner.
I've a strong suspicion that Boris et al are busy backpedaling on quite a few major issues, keeping it as quiet as they possibly can - then pretty much aiming to present us with the same thing as Theresa May had, dresses in different clothes, then try and claim a victory for themselves.
Yes, yes, it's done, we're out, we have to deal with it, all those sort of things - but I'm afraid whatever way it shakes out it's going to spoil the lifestyle quite a few of us had, dodging the cold, wet, winter weather. Doubtless we'll still be able to do it to some extent but I fear the limitations will be a lot greater. There are some who want to retreat inside the UK but to me that's the start of a road to isolationism and nationalism, both really bad news. It may be a cynic's view but having spent a lifetime living and working with a lot of nationalities and seeing the tolerance and understanding levels improve everywhere I've been (apart from the US) it is to me a very backward step.
Time I nagged my MP again! :(
As for the COVID effect? Having witnessed quite a bit of the level of responsibility displayed by quite a lot of Brits, both here and abroad: Who the hell would want us to visit? - and we have the cheek to demand that anyone entering from their countries go into 14 days quarantine........... which the returning Brits are not really doing. That's from first hand experience of my neighbour's idea of what constitutes a quarantine.
Will

BigMomma

Sorry if this sounds a bit brutal but I just cannot understand why people still seem to be in the dark about what the procedures will be wef 1st January 2021, it is pretty much clear cut and the only variation will be if there an extension to the Transition date, which is looking very unlikely.

So, what you need to understand is what the ‘Schengen Agreement’ is. It is an agreement in relation to the Freedom of Movement (Work, Study and Travel) by any Citizen from a EU Member country into any other EU member Country without restriction or formality, which was 28 Countries before the UK opted out of being a member of the EU. UK has never signed up to the Schengen Agreement but being a member country of the EU it was granted the same Freedom of Movement rights provided it had reciprocal arrangements.

Countries that are not member states of the EU are classed as ‘Third Countries’ and as such are restricted to the amount of time that they can spend within those EU Member Countries. As it stands, Citizens from such ‘Third Countries’ are only permitted to spend 90 days in any one period of 180 days, however, those 90 days do not have to be taken consecutively. So, lets say that you enter a EU member Country on 1st January 2021 (remember that this is a leap year and February has 29 days and not 28) you now have until 29th June (180 days) in which to take your 90 days. If you choose to take all 90 days Consecutively then you must leave the EU by 31st March and cannot re-enter again until 30th June when the 180 day clock re-sets and you can then have a further 90 days.

So what does that mean for UK citizens who do not hold another EU Passport. UK has already left the EU, but whilst we are still in the Transition period we remain under the EU rules, which means that we still benefit from Freedom of Movement within the 27 other EU member states until 31st December 2020. As from 1st January 2021 (unless the Transition Period is extended) then we become a ‘Third Country’ and the travel restrictions as outlined above, apply to us. We have not signed up to the Schengen Agreement, we want to have control over Immigration into our Country and have refused to permit Freedom of Movement which applies Equally to any other EU citizen.

Other than the travel restrictions, we may, at some point in the near future be required to apply for a VISA to enter the EU (ETIAS), as from 1st January we will need to be in possession of International Driving Permits, possibly up to 3 Separate one’s dependent on the Countries we intend to travel to or through, certainly two IDP’s for each driver will be required if we intend to travel to both France and Spain. The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will no longer be valid so we will need Private Health Insurance for any medical or dental treatment. Pet Passport requirements will change.

People are getting confused with the current ongoing negotiations, these are purely around Trade Deals and are nothing to do with the Schengen Arrangements (Freedom of Movement) which I have described above.

So basically, things for UK fulltimers who were used to spending 9-10 months, or longer, travelling in EU will change, and also for those that went to Europe for extended winter breaks (4-6 months on long stay campsites). We could apply for a Tourist Travel Visa through one of the EU Countries which may then permit an extended period of travel (although probably no longer than 12 months).

These travel restrictions will not impact on those who just travel to the EU for breaks shorter than 90 days, so normal holidaymakers will not be affected, other than the Administrative requirements, ETIAS (when it is introduced), IDP’s, Medical Insurance and Pet Passports.

I trust this makes things a bit clearer for you.

Willum

Sorry if this sounds a bit brutal but I just cannot understand why people still seem to be in the dark about what the procedures will be wef 1st January 2021, it is pretty much clear cut and the only variation will be if there an extension to the Transition date, which is looking very unlikely.

So, what you need to understand is what the ‘Schengen Agreement’ is. It is an agreement in relation to the Freedom of Movement (Work, Study and Travel) by any Citizen from a EU Member country into any other EU member Country without restriction or formality, which was 28 Countries before the UK opted out of being a member of the EU. UK has never signed up to the Schengen Agreement but being a member country of the EU it was granted the same Freedom of Movement rights provided it had reciprocal arrangements.

Countries that are not member states of the EU are classed as ‘Third Countries’ and as such are restricted to the amount of time that they can spend within those EU Member Countries. As it stands, Citizens from such ‘Third Countries’ are only permitted to spend 90 days in any one period of 180 days, however, those 90 days do not have to be taken consecutively. So, lets say that you enter a EU member Country on 1st January 2021 (remember that this is a leap year and February has 29 days and not 28) you now have until 29th June (180 days) in which to take your 90 days. If you choose to take all 90 days Consecutively then you must leave the EU by 31st March and cannot re-enter again until 30th June when the 180 day clock re-sets and you can then have a further 90 days.

So what does that mean for UK citizens who do not hold another EU Passport. UK has already left the EU, but whilst we are still in the Transition period we remain under the EU rules, which means that we still benefit from Freedom of Movement within the 27 other EU member states until 31st December 2020. As from 1st January 2021 (unless the Transition Period is extended) then we become a ‘Third Country’ and the travel restrictions as outlined above, apply to us. We have not signed up to the Schengen Agreement, we want to have control over Immigration into our Country and have refused to permit Freedom of Movement which applies Equally to any other EU citizen.

Other than the travel restrictions, we may, at some point in the near future be required to apply for a VISA to enter the EU (ETIAS), as from 1st January we will need to be in possession of International Driving Permits, possibly up to 3 Separate one’s dependent on the Countries we intend to travel to or through, certainly two IDP’s for each driver will be required if we intend to travel to both France and Spain. The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will no longer be valid so we will need Private Health Insurance for any medical or dental treatment. Pet Passport requirements will change.

People are getting confused with the current ongoing negotiations, these are purely around Trade Deals and are nothing to do with the Schengen Arrangements (Freedom of Movement) which I have described above.

So basically, things for UK fulltimers who were used to spending 9-10 months, or longer, travelling in EU will change, and also for those that went to Europe for extended winter breaks (4-6 months on long stay campsites). We could apply for a Tourist Travel Visa through one of the EU Countries which may then permit an extended period of travel (although probably no longer than 12 months).

These travel restrictions will not impact on those who just travel to the EU for breaks shorter than 90 days, so normal holidaymakers will not be affected, other than the Administrative requirements, ETIAS (when it is introduced), IDP’s, Medical Insurance and Pet Passports.

I trust this makes things a bit clearer for you.
Excellent post. Very clear and well written, Eric.
You're right, a lot of folk don't/didn't - grasp all the implications and I think a lot of the reason for that is it hasn't really been well publicised. Maybe too, this aspect of leaving the EU has a much greater impact on our community, so comes under closer scrutiny.
There's also the strong possibility that quite a lot (me included) are still saddened at the impending 90 day time limit. Inevitable in the circumstances but still disappointing. Let's hope that some forward thinking, like minded MPs try to improve on it. :wondering: (eyes open for the flock of pigs):D

I know a lot of the push behind Brexit was and is Border Control but I'm sorry to say it's not very likely to improve the reality of the situation. The flood of 'boat people' has increased 10 fold over the last few months and is getting worse. The French government are doing just the same as they always have - absolutely nothing! They are no more inclined to welcome migrants than the UK. The rules of The Schengen Agreement I believe say (migrants?) asylum seekers must seek protection in the first EU country they set foot in. Regardless of the route used to get into France, they should not be encouraging them to cross the Channel and they should be actively chasing down the organised crime syndicates that are profiteering on those poor soul's misery and hopes. They are obviously doing very little in that respect - other than demand £/€30 million to help them get here, sorry, stop the trafficking.
Will

BigMomma

I forget to include another Administrative requirement if you intend to take a vehicle in to the EU after 31st December and that is the ‘Green Card’, which is issued upon request by your vehicle Insurer.

The other thing I didn’t make clear about the second 180 day clock was that it only commences when you again first enter the EU. So taking the example I gave earlier, if you return on 31st March, after having spent your first period of 90 days in the EU and cannot then return until 30th June, However, you do not have to return on 30th June, you could remain outside the EU for as long as you want, it is only when you next re-enter The EU that the 180 day clock starts ticking again.

Whilst their is confusing information on the Government website about the travel restrictions and the documentary Requirements, it is worth going on to the EU website about tourist travel where the information is quite clear. People should remember that there have always been travel restrictions for ‘Third Countries’ entering the EU, it is not just something introduced since Brexit and aimed at UK citizens as some form of punishment for leaving the EU.

Willum, you are spot on, the French are trying to squeeze as much money out of the UK as they can and are using the migrants as an opportunity to do it. I have read reports where their Border Force are actually using their boats to escort the migrants safely into UK waters, not stopping them and taking them back to French shores.

Unfortunately, there were a lot of British Expats who live in numerous EU Countries as well as British long term holiday makers who actually voted to leave the EU because they thought it was all about the UK and that it would not impact on them, and for some, it may not. But the non-expat communities who voted to leave e.g. fulltimers and long term Winter travellers will now reap what they have sewn but also impact on those of us that voted to Remain.

As William has also correctly pointed out to me, it was this year (2020) that was the leap year and not next year (2021), but the principle remains the same ;)

Adverts