It's Still a Bl**dy Shambles...........

Willum

Everything seems the same as it usually does, we haven't used motorways yet nor do we intend to, there was a police presence crossing the Pyrenees but didn't stop us but he stopped a Spanish car in front, we'll just carry on and hope for the best. Stay safe
Ta for that. Peage avoidance is standard for us in France - as a matter of principle and based largely on cost. :eek:
Used the Spanish tolls this time - unusually - purely as a means of getting north and out of the heat and concerns (unfounded, in reality) they just might shut the border on us. The spectre of circumnavigating Madrid turned out to be a relatively quiet and easy leg around the M50, then the AP1 from north of Bugos and the other bit to the border was just so quick and easy it seemed worth the extra €20 odd, about €25+ if you continue on the French side 'til clear of the north of Biarritz/Bayonne area. We probably (at an average of 22mpg) saved most of that in decreased fuel useage. I have to admit, half the wonderful views are obscured because you spend an awful lot of time in tunnels. :)
Will

AlaskaGuy

Portugal have invited British back so they are a bit more desperate for UK £s!!!!!!!
Maybe you could get to Spain via Portugal????----- I don't know if it is British that Spain is stopping or people coming direct from UK????
Portugal has taken this whole virus thing very seriously----- we had all that lockdown stuff very early on and now everything is starting to open up------- BUT----- face masks are compulsory in shops and restaurants etc (we are allowed to remove them to eat and drink) and in general the public are being very cautious!!
Today was the first day we could eat chicken dinner at a local market, but there were lots of precautions!!------ it is so good to be able to get out for coffee and meals after the restrictions!!!
Lisbon still has a problem with it so many of the restrictions are still in place there!!
Hi Sundowners! We're all still here then!
Looks like the travel situation has changed again, lockdown in certain areas, travel quarantine etc.
We really DO want to get a winter off so we can do the warmer and more sunny thing, but life has been putting obstacles in the way!
Hope you are both well. Will PM you when signal improves...deep in the Forest of Dean!

Willum

Right!
Just got to get to Dieppe. Not 100% sure how our recent (pre-UK restriction) time in Spain will count for, or against, self isolation. Plenty to catch up on when we do get the old girl moored up in the UK - not the least of which will be rmoving all the tree seeds, gunk and bird poo from life under a pigeon infested Spanish plane tree.
Will

BigMomma

Right!
Just got to get to Dieppe. Not 100% sure how our recent (pre-UK restriction) time in Spain will count for, or against, self isolation. Plenty to catch up on when we do get the old girl moored up in the UK - not the least of which will be rmoving all the tree seeds, gunk and bird poo from life under a pigeon infested Spanish plane tree.
Will
Once back in the UK you are going to have to quarantine yourselves for 14 days if you have been in mainland Spain. New regulation brought in on Saturday !!

Willum

Once back in the UK you are going to have to quarantine yourselves for 14 days if you have been in mainland Spain. New regulation brought in on Saturday !!
It's not a problem doing that Eric. We'll get lots of peace and quiet :thumb:
The way I read it we wouldn't have to do the full 14 days in UK because we were out of Spain before the new rule was announced, ie, we got out Friday - and can prove it from receipts. It looked more like 14 days from the day we arrived in France. The FCO bit I read was terribly unequivocal, so if you managed a better interpretation, I'm all ears.
Will
Angouleme and 34C, forecast 37C :eek: for tomorrow, headed north of Tours to a mere 27C

We left Spain a full 10 days before the law was introduced and won't get to Calais or Dunkirk for another 3 wks so I think we'll be out of it, no quarantine for us. A nice uncomfortable 40 degrees here at Montauban

Willum

We left Spain a full 10 days before the law was introduced and won't get to Calais or Dunkirk for another 3 wks so I think we'll be out of it, no quarantine for us. A nice uncomfortable 40 degrees here at Montauban
Eeek! Yep, the long range forecast seemed to say the hot weather was moving north for this week.

Willum

Please...not north, we desperately need to cool down. No aircon, fridge is useless and what's worse than warm beer
'Fraid so............ but it was a metman's forecast :rolleyes: . Looks like Normandy will be a good deal cooler by Friday.
Beer is just cool enough in the fridge but will be better when the fan gets fixed - probably sooner rather than later if this keeps up........... Trying to keep the fridge out of the sun is impossible.
"what's worse than warm beer"?
..........warm Gin and Tonic - with no ice.

chrisjones18

Eeek! Yep, the long range forecast seemed to say the hot weather was moving north for this week.
Please send it north.......now......
Its 12c in Scotland and raining........

BigMomma

It's not a problem doing that Eric. We'll get lots of peace and quiet :thumb:
The way I read it we wouldn't have to do the full 14 days in UK because we were out of Spain before the new rule was announced, ie, we got out Friday - and can prove it from receipts. It looked more like 14 days from the day we arrived in France. The FCO bit I read was terribly unequivocal, so if you managed a better interpretation, I'm all ears.
Will
Angouleme and 34C, forecast 37C :eek: for tomorrow, headed north of Tours to a mere 27C
No, I do not have a better interpretation, seems to make sense that once out of Spain the time in France can be counted as part of your Quarantine period, but how do they know that you have been in quarantine :think: Although that applies to being back in the UK, what they going to do, send someone around your house to check ? They haven’t been doing that with thousands of folk arriving through the Airports, Channel Tunnel or numerous Ferry Ports so its all a bit of a farce really. My conspiracy theory is that this is a Political move rather than a Covid Safe decision, all to do with Brexit and economies, pull the tourism from some of the popular EU destinations and get people to holiday in UK bringing more money into our Tourist Economy to help our own British businesses, which have to say is a stroke of genius if that is the case.

vwalan

well its nice and sunny in cornwall. about 20c in the shade .roads quite busy . had a nice ride out today on my m,bike and what a pleasure it was.
the hedgerows are turning yellow or orange depending on what wild flower is growing . a bit of purple as well in a few places .
bit crowded on the beaches but nice and peacefull if you go inland on the little roads .
mind cyclists are definately out in numbers . never seen so many as this year. but they smile ,nod heads and seem to be enjoying their ride outs.
does seem like there could be a restriction on the way for many countries in europe if coming back to england . best not go abroad ,stay here and enjoy the country side . mind we could ban foreigners coming over just to be safe.

BigMomma

Well the weather in North Devon since 21st June has been variable, to put it mildly, more wet than dry and just come out the other end of a 5 day consecutive period of rain !! Campsite is packed and advance bookings show no let up until mid-September. As far as I am concerned, the FCO are only ‘Advising’ against travel to certain European destinations and not actually implementing a travel ban, so my ferry is booked to Spain on 7th October and unless they cancel it I for one will be on it. This quarantine stuff is just a farce anyway, nobody is checking on the thousands that are returning via any of the Airports, Sea Ports or Channel Tunnel, this latest Quarantine business is not, in my opinion, related to Covid, it is purely a ‘Political’ decision. Coincidence that the quarantine came in on Saturday just two days before negotiations between Spanish and British diplomats on the future relationship with Gibraltar ? Portugal, one of the lowest infected Countries throughout the Pandemic is still not on the ‘Safe List’ of Countries to travel to, only a spike in infections in one City (Lisbon) but deterring Brits from travelling there, and we are not talking just Motorhomers, is hitting their tourism and associated businesses very hard but if you research what we import from Portugal and the impact that that will have on their economy if Tarrifs are added, which may entail us not importing as much and looking elsewhere, is quite surprising. So my conspiracy theory is still that this is all ‘Political’ and not primarily associated to Covid. The threat to impose Quarantine for France & Germany is continuing to be raised, but compare their level of infections against the UK’s, does not add up ? Looking on the short term impact, UK gains financially by people staycationing which is not a bad thing, but long term.........?

vwalan

well have a gander there.
not been like a Mediterranean summer but not too bad.
can almost see the newquay weather station place from roche .
mind we can see the sea north and south coast from just outside the village.
had a nice m,bike ride out again today out by the longstone out by st breock downs .
fantastic scenery from there.
as for covid well it did it seems get to uk possibly by the eu .
best avoid the eu. dont buy eu items .
lets hope the ferry to morocco from cornwall will be on its way.

Willum

Well the weather in North Devon since 21st June has been variable, to put it mildly, more wet than dry and just come out the other end of a 5 day consecutive period of rain !! Campsite is packed and advance bookings show no let up until mid-September. As far as I am concerned, the FCO are only ‘Advising’ against travel to certain European destinations and not actually implementing a travel ban, so my ferry is booked to Spain on 7th October and unless they cancel it I for one will be on it. This quarantine stuff is just a farce anyway, nobody is checking on the thousands that are returning via any of the Airports, Sea Ports or Channel Tunnel, this latest Quarantine business is not, in my opinion, related to Covid, it is purely a ‘Political’ decision. Coincidence that the quarantine came in on Saturday just two days before negotiations between Spanish and British diplomats on the future relationship with Gibraltar ? Portugal, one of the lowest infected Countries throughout the Pandemic is still not on the ‘Safe List’ of Countries to travel to, only a spike in infections in one City (Lisbon) but deterring Brits from travelling there, and we are not talking just Motorhomers, is hitting their tourism and associated businesses very hard but if you research what we import from Portugal and the impact that that will have on their economy if Tarrifs are added, which may entail us not importing as much and looking elsewhere, is quite surprising. So my conspiracy theory is still that this is all ‘Political’ and not primarily associated to Covid. The threat to impose Quarantine for France & Germany is continuing to be raised, but compare their level of infections against the UK’s, does not add up ? Looking on the short term impact, UK gains financially by people staycationing which is not a bad thing, but long term.........?
Agree. There won't be any form of honest or realistic connection between a country's actual Covid problems and the restrictions placed on them, only their economic importance/impact on the UK economy or any cosy reciprocal agreements - and their location in terms of where politicians and their backers like to disguise their activities. Portugal is Britain's oldest ally - but you would never know it by the way we treat them at times. I only ever saw one example of Portugal being difficult and that was in relation to British Military aircraft overflights - in a former, much earlier, life. That difficulty was, I suspect, only to avoid annoying the Spanish any more than necessary when those aircraft were headed for places like Gibraltar. At the time no British Military aircraft were permitted overflight of Spain if headed for quite a few destinations. Portugal doesn't seem to mind annoying the Spanish at times but their life could be made very difficult if all the land borders got closed.
As far as the quarantine is concerned, the UK government has neither the confidence or respect of a major portion of the population, nor has it the Policing capability necessary to ensure ANY of the political trumpeting of prevention measures is ever enforced.
As a comment on the number of UK Staycationers: My brother lives near the eastern Lincolnshire coast and told me yesterday he has never in his life seen so many caravans and motorhomes on the road near him. I guess it's a sort of UK economy boost, especially if you can frighten the Club Med lot into going to see Alan in Cornwall. :) ......... and maybe the overspill into North Devon:):)
Currently 25 miles south of Dieppe, a 6pm sailing tomorrow and NO idea exactly what paperwork we will require. DFDS don't actually say if the UK health declaration is required BEFORE entry into UK, or within 48 hours of entry............. Lost in translation? Who knows. Tomorrow will tell.
Ramblin' Rose: They lied! it's after 7pm and still just a percentage point under 30C, forecast 37C for tomorrow. Please the Lord there's no sailing delay - and no awkward Customs/Immigration officials. Think I might develop a tactical cough.
If it's not teaching Granny, etc, have a look at this:
VERY crudely put: if you are south of the purple, red and yellow bits, you're likely to be getting the North African/Mediterranean bit of (hot) weather with, other than ocean/solar/mountain generated, not a lot of wind to cool you. If north of it, it's the cold, wet polar crap. If under it, even more crap/wind/rain/cool - hence the complaints about the current Scottish weather. Sorry Chris, I lived there for 30 years and know pretty much all the possibilities :D
Surrounded by French plus the odd Dutch/Belgique, one Brit and one Fulltiming, Spain-bound Brit, all on a tiny village Aire. Several locals are treating it as a full blown campsite.
One last run at cheap(ish) Le Clerc fuel and booze tomorrow, then a final run to get the old girl back to the UK (not Pat, the motorhome) for the long-expired MOT.
Stay safe, everyone.
Will

Adverts