It's Still a Bl**dy Shambles...........

Willum

Lots of Motorhomers have already booked on the Tunnel for next week according to posts on the various forums I have been reading. I think it is the Air and Rail travel that I would be more concerned about. Even on ferries the pinch point will be when you have boarded and getting out of vehicles and going up the narrow stairwells to the upper decks, however, wearing a face covering should reduce any risk on that score as you are not in contact with others for that long. Once we get to our cabin we remain in there for the duration of the journey, so even Ferry travel is not bad, unless you are somebody that has to be at the bar having a drink or remain in the crowded social areas. Come June 28th/29th the Government will announce that the 14 day quarantine period will be scrapped, FCO will lift restrictions on travel to Europe, although I still think it will advise not to travel to ‘High Risk Covid Areas’ such as parts of Asia, Africa and the Americas and of course that the Hospitality and Tourism sectors can re-open wef from 4th July. The biggest risk after that will be all the idiots who will act as if life has returned to normal but from a Motorhoming perspective, you can choose to social distance much easier and find some nice isolated locations. Let’s hope that you can get back to Spain safely in the very near future and collect your van :thumb:
Thanks for the thought, Eric. I could say I'm getting withdrawal symptoms but I've had them for the last 8 weeks............ :cry:
Will

BigMomma

As you know, we have still been living in our van on a relatives drive for 13 weeks and in that time I have only ventured outside my ‘safety zone’ on three occasions, so very much looking forward to a change of view in the next couple of days. Our season on site does not finish until 30th September but we have booked the ferry Back to Spain soon afterwards. We will feel much more secure knowing that we can choose where to go to in the van, although we have still to decide whether we head to Greece for the Winter, via France & Italy or do more touring in Portugal & Spain, we will, at some point before we return to UK at the end of March, spend some time in our ‘Bolt Hole’ in Spain. We have two large bottles of hand sanitiser, a box of surgical gloves and a supply of face masks, so we will still be applying the safeguards when needed e.g. Shopping, Refuels with Diesel & LPG, using service points for filling and emptying of on-board tanks etc. but we will be sticking to ‘Free Camping’ in isolated locations wherever possible.

Willum

As you know, we have still been living in our van on a relatives drive for 13 weeks and in that time I have only ventured outside my ‘safety zone’ on three occasions, so very much looking forward to a change of view in the next couple of days. Our season on site does not finish until 30th September but we have booked the ferry Back to Spain soon afterwards. We will feel much more secure knowing that we can choose where to go to in the van, although we have still to decide whether we head to Greece for the Winter, via France & Italy or do more touring in Portugal & Spain, we will, at some point before we return to UK at the end of March, spend some time in our ‘Bolt Hole’ in Spain. We have two large bottles of hand sanitiser, a box of surgical gloves and a supply of face masks, so we will still be applying the safeguards when needed e.g. Shopping, Refuels with Diesel & LPG, using service points for filling and emptying of on-board tanks etc. but we will be sticking to ‘Free Camping’ in isolated locations wherever possible.
Snap! Three times outside the safety zone, five if you count two trips to the Post Office. One was for the 'Old Pharts' medical and two to the local Lidl - where I was one of only three out of about thirty wearing a face mask, and that's including the staff!
Dunroamin seems to have done quite well in Greece during all this mayhem and the more I hear about the lonlier bits of Greece, the more I like the idea of it......... but we mustn't tell everybody..........;)
Will

BigMomma

Dunroamin seems to have done quite well in Greece during all this mayhem and the more I hear about the lonlier bits of Greece, the more I like the idea of it......... but we mustn't tell everybody..........;)
Will
Even those who got stuck in Morocco, after the initial shock, have been catered for quite well by the local communities and officialdom from what I have read, in fact most European Countries have been very accommodating, again, after the initial early panic. Just appears to be ‘some’ of the British public that have been less than charitable towards the vanlife community.

coolasluck

Yes Wilum and big momma, you should both get together and go and visit dunroamin in Greece. Knowing him as I do,I know,he would greatly appreciate seeing you both and who knows you could spend a good few weeks with him.

BigMomma

I do not know Mike, have never met him personally, but I think he enjoys his own company and selected circle of friends. Although, if our paths crossed I am sure we would enjoy a cold beer or two :thumb:

Dunroamin

I suppose I should write a bit on overwinter/summer in GREECE.Pros,miles of beach,wilding often no problem ,water easy to find,in no way overcrowded,the majority are youngish Germans often with toddlers.Germans get 6months paid 60%wages for each child.We have used Park for Nite. We use Osmand+ for locating water and shops etc.The price of diesel and food is more expensive than Spain.It rains here and is not as warm as the Iberian peninsula.LPG is everywhere and cheap.It is illegal to fill gas bottles but if you go about it the right way no problem.Heike and I invested in a Linguaphone
Greek course (£250)and it makes living here much easier.Don't invest unless you are conversant with English grammar.

Dunroamin

We are at the moment on the beach opposite Monemvasia,Greece's answer to GiB.At this time of year we would expect 10 vans minimum here,we are alone apart from Greek day tourists.We wouldn't be here normally at this time but Covid makes it OK.

Willum

Nice try Coola, though oddly enough there's a noticeably deafening silence from Dunroamin reference a stream of visitors - and I'm not at surprised. Who on earth would want the diseased, great unwashed descending on them out of the blue? :sweating: :sick:
Getting wind of such an invasion would certainly make me head rapidly 'off-grid'.:)
On another, slightly more relevant (to the 'shambles') topic, I see that the much vaunted 'Track and Trace' app is quietly being abandoned. Predictably, if you refuse to talk to the big players and try and go it alone, it's a very rocky road. Throughout this pandemic Apple and Google have, by all accounts, been very accommodating with what they quite rightly regard as their property. Nothing has changed, Boris and his pals are still determined to run the show in a truly global environment - and not only failing but making fools of the British in the process. Even M. Macron couldn't resist a poke at his windswept haystack the other day. As my Grandmother would say: "He looks like he's been pulled through a hedge backwards"
Will

Dunroamin

Thereis a lidl in most small towns and there are Greek supetmarkets for bag in a box and other exotica.Not as cheap ad lidl tho.Laundrettes are few and far between.If wilding bring an entrenching spade.

BigMomma

.If wilding bring an entrenching spade.
Have carried one of those since day 1, I was a Boy Scout so ‘Be Prepared’ was the motto :thumb: There are some things about fulltiming that you just do not have to share or openly advertise;) Thanks for all the information, very useful:thumb:

BigMomma

Nice try Coola, though oddly enough there's a noticeably deafening silence from Dunroamin reference a stream of visitors - and I'm not at surprised. Who on earth would want the diseased, great unwashed descending on them out of the blue? :sweating: :sick:
Getting wind of such an invasion would certainly make me head rapidly 'off-grid'.:)
On another, slightly more relevant (to the 'shambles') topic, I see that the much vaunted 'Track and Trace' app is quietly being abandoned. Predictably, if you refuse to talk to the big players and try and go it alone, it's a very rocky road. Throughout this pandemic Apple and Google have, by all accounts, been very accommodating with what they quite rightly regard as their property. Nothing has changed, Boris and his pals are still determined to run the show in a truly global environment - and not only failing but making fools of the British in the process. Even M. Macron couldn't resist a poke at his windswept haystack the other day. As my Grandmother would say: "He looks like he's been pulled through a hedge backwards"
Will
And what is it now ? Four ‘U’ turns over the last few weeks ? Whatever does not materialise from his constant lies about Brexit he will use the Pandemic as the excuse.

chrisjones18

Have carried one of those since day 1, I was a Boy Scout so ‘Be Prepared’ was the motto :thumb: There are some things about fulltiming that you just do not have to share or openly advertise;) Thanks for all the information, very useful:thumb:
Not so sure about that. People have said " my cassette is full and I cant find anywhere to empty it" :mad: dont think they were in the boy scouts or girl guides....
Ps, I have a small folding army one if anyone is stuck.

chrisjones18

We are so fed up of uk governments that we are looking at very cheap bits of dirt in France and Spain.
Spain have said what's happening after dec 2020, just waiting for France.

BigMomma

Not so sure about that. People have said " my cassette is full and I cant find anywhere to empty it" :mad: dont think they were in the boy scouts or girl guides....
Ps, I have a small folding army one if anyone is stuck.
Do not think that the comment was in relation to emptying Cassettes :wasntme: We watch a lot of vanlife Vlogs in self builds without any on-board washrooms or toilet facilities, so it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out how they manage when Public conveniences are not available;)

BigMomma

We are so fed up of uk governments that we are looking at very cheap bits of dirt in France and Spain.
Spain have said what's happening after dec 2020, just waiting for France.
At the moment, we are keeping all our options open, no rush, we are not bothered about doing it after Brexit even if it means that the conditions for us would be different to the Expats already living over there. We initially plan to just retire properly, tour in the Motorhome whenever possible and use our ‘bolt hole’ in co-ordination with some of those travels. We may even decide to sell the ‘bolt hole’ at some point and buy a property elsewhere, even back in the UK, but right now just happy to enjoy life and sit and watch what happens over the next year, or three, or four :thumb:

Willum

Apart from Alan, looks as if we might end up amongst the few left looking at a bolthole in the UK. We embarked upon it before all this Brexit nonsense reared its ugly head, so at the moment we've invested too much and we're too far down the road to countenance selling it and starting again. Time will tell............
Wonder if there's a cheap little Greek Island up for sale? :wondering:
The only good thing I can think of at the moment is that for now there seems to be less of an appetite to get into bed with Trump. That's not to say it hasn't just been put on the back burner 'til the Pandemic/Brexit heat dies down.

Dunroamin

We do have a shower cum toilet.Copper showertray and from the1960s a commode.The commode consisted of an enamel cylinder with a false bottom on which rested an enamel bucket with lid this is topped off with a Bakelite seat.remove the seat and lid,replace seat and ready.But!!!ItWould appear that bucket sizes have not changed over the years. The original was past the sell by date,so we bought 2 buckets place one inside the other lid on top.You pee in the top bucket and only poo in the other after lining it with a 30litre waste bag from lidl which you then knot and tie and in the bin. Keep in mind that you seldom find a suitable drain on the beach or in the country but you do find bins.The entrenching tool was most certainly meant for a hole for the cassette.We have a full size shovel/spade for digging us out when necessary.

BigMomma

We do have a shower cum toilet.Copper showertray and from the1960s a commode.The commode consisted of an enamel cylinder with a false bottom on which rested an enamel bucket with lid this is topped off with a Bakelite seat.remove the seat and lid,replace seat and ready.But!!!ItWould appear that bucket sizes have not changed over the years. The original was past the sell by date,so we bought 2 buckets place one inside the other lid on top.You pee in the top bucket and only poo in the other after lining it with a 30litre waste bag from lidl which you then knot and tie and in the bin. Keep in mind that you seldom find a suitable drain on the beach or in the country but you do find bins.The entrenching tool was most certainly meant for a hole for the cassette.We have a full size shovel/spade for digging us out when necessary.
[/QUOTE

I didn’t mean to imply that all self builds do not have on-board facilities, many do, but many do not. At the end of the day, you do what you have to do. There are a lot who are going down the route of composting toilets and this could be quite practical. I think the advent of the Chemical cassette type loos was primarily for the holiday tourers who tend to stay on campsites or use Aires where there are facilities for servicing on-board facilities.

Adverts