It's Still a Bl**dy Shambles...........

vwalan

but i think it was also about mental exercise . folk could walk ride etc and enjoy the country and the scenery.
mind does seem that many we see on the news be them supposed important people are way too fat and over fed they might need lots of physical exercise.
i think boris is doing a grand job in the upside down world we live in at the moment.
there doesnt seem to be any smart folk knowing how to cope or really what to do in this world at the moment .
does seem like basic common sense as been disappearing for years . seems like the more so called degrees they have the less basic common sense they have.
2 and 2 is twenty two.
2+2 is four.
have a good one.

Willum

The more I think about the Herd Immunity aspect of all this, the more I think that as things stand perhaps there is ultimately no other real choice. As has already been said, it relly does look like that's what the chosen route has become, probably always was. I don't for one nanosecond condone their stumblebum handling of the problem, the lies, the deceit, the arrogance, any of it but - at the moment there is no cure. Neither have I seen anything that suggests a truly effective vaccine is ever really likely to be found, let alone in the near future. Has anyone else?
Throughout history there have been plagues of various sorts, there are even questions about some of them being from viruses that have probably mutated again and become less catastrophic for humans - perhaps because of Herd Immunity.
Are we not in reality applying a different form of what they did in the Middle Ages? Declare an area a Plague Village and close it off and leave food at a safe point for the inhabitants.
Just as an aside: where have all the Scientists and Medical Officers gone from the Daily Briefings? Pushed out the way? Beginning to more openly disagree with the politicians? Likely to say something the politicians will find embarrassing, or too revealing?
Will

vwalan

the scientists and the medical officers are useless they cant cure or sort so many things these days . they may have so called qualifications but in truth are inefficient etc .
mind the unions have workers lazy and hopeless as well.
does seem like even way back in the 50,s workers and management have got lazy.
they blame the real business men etc and the owners of companies that employ folk , so then it gets nationalized and the whole worker/management get lazier and lazier.
politicians are there because folk voted for them.
maybe we should go back way before we had politicians to vote for .
does seem like the world is so upside down these days .
but never mind soon be time to go out for a ride around and see the lovely countryside around here.

Willum

Yes, I ‘report’ every day via the ZOE app, it seems nearly 4 million people do!
Paul
So far, at least, they seem to be entirely open about what happens with the information. I suppose it's commercial in the sense it's research that needs funding to continue. I don't know if they get anything from government.
The good thing is that both Google (Android) and Apple keep a very tight rein on how the information for the likes of that sort of app can be used - unlike the one trialled on the Isle of Wight

BigMomma

The more I think about the Herd Immunity aspect of all this, the more I think that as things stand perhaps there is ultimately no other real choice.
Just as an aside: where have all the Scientists and Medical Officers gone from the Daily Briefings? Pushed out the way? Beginning to more openly disagree with the politicians? Likely to say something the politicians will find embarrassing, or too revealing?
Will
We need to get back to some sort of normality so there is no choice as Elongated lockdown will have a critical economic impact. But, had they got the lockdown right, from the beginning and not eased it too early we may have been at the same point as some of the other EU countries. However, hindsight is brilliant but does not serve any purpose unless you can learn from any mistakes made. So we just need to get on with our lives and take an individual responsibility for the way we adapt to getting on with our lives whilst having a respect and tolerance for those that want to do it differently. As for the Scientists, the Government from day one have used the phrase ‘Guided by the Science’, however that was setting the Scientists up for a fall if, or when, it all went wrong. The Scientists were trying to support the Government by taking a Unified approach, however, I believe that they realised that the Government would use them as the Scapegoats and so have chosen to distance themselves by clarifying that they provide the advice but it is the Government that make the decisions and Policies, intimating that in fact the Government have not been following a lot of the advice provided as it does not sit within their planned actions to get the economy going.

coolasluck

Dont be too confident that Boris has backed off from the ‘Herd Immunity’ scenario, he has denied that that was his philosophy until called out by an Italian Minister. By letting people travel anywhere within England he knew that they would pack to the Beaches and other Tourist hot spots during the lovely prolonged hot Weather and knows that a large proportion of the British mentality is to not do as they are advised, so social distancing or wearing face coverings was never going to happen. He is opening up High Streets and shopping malls next week, the shops may try and organise social distancing but outside of the shops, in the Malls public areas and on the High Streets ? He knows exactly what he is doing and he is now talking about opening up Pubs. If or when Campsites open up On 4th July, do you think they will remain on their pitch on site and not go to the local towns, beaches, pubs, tourist areas ?

Yes it's not rocket science with how Boris has been so vague with his lockdown briefs and with him uttering the word "barbecue" last week he has effectively given the green light.
Perhaps he secretly helped organise the recent protests around the u.k in order to spread the virus for herd immunity
Right I'm off to continue my work as a rocket scientist........

coolasluck

Chris Jones I am sure I saw you at work recently and I thought you had retired
But it seems you are now doing sign language for the corona virus briefings for the BBC.:thumb::D

chrisjones18

Chris Jones I am sure I saw you at work recently and I thought you had retired
But it seems you are now doing sign language for the corona virus briefings for the BBC.:thumb::D
Haha, not me I'm afraid... totally finished working and so has Sally , though she is only 55 (I think)
Still stuck on the daughters drive and as nice as she has been about it we are so bored.

BigMomma

Still stuck on the daughters drive and as nice as she has been about it we are so bored.
Same here Chris, Week 12 on Mother-in-Laws drive and looks like we will have to do Week 13 as well. But the good news for us is that I am being ‘unfurloughed’ from 21st June and will be travelling to our site to get it ready for opening on 4th July, subject to Boris changing his mind of course.

BigMomma

Just seen the News that UK has formally informed the EU that it is NOT extending the Transition date beyond 31st December. Although the Conservative leadership, past and present, are notorious for doing ‘U‘ turns Just like the one on Border Checks, which have now been been put back for another 6 months after the proposed implementation date of 1st January. Or is this just more political games of ‘one upmanship‘ ? I for one hope not, its about time to get this Brexit stuff over and done with so that we know for certain where we stand as far as travel and documentation is concerned. Although I have been working on the assumption that the new travel restrictions commence on 1st January and that is what I have personally prepared for, there was still too much dithering going on, will they or wont they extend, extending would have meant that future plans for extended travelling in EU could be planned without having to think about the additional admin requirements that would be required if they didn’t. So fingers crossed that this is not just another game of Bluff and Counter Bluff.

Willum

Just seen the News that UK has formally informed the EU that it is NOT extending the Transition date beyond 31st December. Although the Conservative leadership, past and present, are notorious for doing ‘U‘ turns Just like the one on Border Checks, which have now been been put back for another 6 months after the proposed implementation date of 1st January. Or is this just more political games of ‘one upmanship‘ ? I for one hope not, its about time to get this Brexit stuff over and done with so that we know for certain where we stand as far as travel and documentation is concerned. Although I have been working on the assumption that the new travel restrictions commence on 1st January and that is what I have personally prepared for, there was still too much dithering going on, will they or wont they extend, extending would have meant that future plans for extended travelling in EU could be planned without having to think about the additional admin requirements that would be required if they didn’t. So fingers crossed that this is not just another game of Bluff and Counter Bluff.
Eric! When did you hear of a politician who didn't indulge in oneupmanship, or attempt to bluff (in Boris's case, bluster and woffle) their way out of things? ;)
We are in the same boat in some respects, though. We're more fortunate in having a part renovated house in a big plot to work on and occupy, so don't have to stay on someone's driveway but we're still wondering what the hell will happen. Trying to make a plan, with or without the Coronavirus variable, for our preferred option of spending at least 6 months in Europe in the winter is going to take a lot more thought especially until we find out what the rules are actually going to look like.
Our plan of flying out 1st July to collect the camper has officially been scuppered, not just by Spain showing the red card to the Brits but also by Jet2 cancelling the flight we booked. Unlike the example of the Ryanair-type airlines, they actually initiated the contact with us saying they were going to cancel and offered options of rebooking for a flight post 15th July, taking a voucher valid for 6 months, or waiting a few weeks for a refund. Much as I would hate to think I might contribute to helping push them under, things are so much of a mess I think we'll go for a refund and wait it out, probably booking again when - and if - the situation clarifys. I think if they had made the voucher valid for a year, I would have gone for it but taking it with the not unlikely scenario of still being up sh1t creek without a paddle in 6 months time isn't a good prospect.
Will

BigMomma

Trying to make a plan, with or without the Coronavirus variable, for our preferred option of spending at least 6 months in Europe in the winter is going to take a lot more thought especially until we find out what the rules are actually going to look like.
I think we know what the rules are going to be. The UK has told the EU that they are not going to extend the Transition Date so that means that with effect from 1st January the 90 day rule comes into effect. Now if you go before the end of December, that is obviously a bonus so like us, we have a ferry that will dock in Spain on 8th October, we will not have to leave until 31st March so this will be the last opportunity to have 6 months. Thereafter, it is the 90/180 day rule so we will not be able to return to EU again until 90 days after we return to UK. That is what I am working to, if their is a change to that e.g. a change to the Transition Date, well that will be another bonus, however, cannot see that happening myself.

BigMomma

Well things are moving over here at last, I have been told that I am being ‘unfurloughed’ with effect from Sunday 21st June and to get down to my site and get it ready for opening on 4th July, subject of course to getting the official approval from the Government. So I am watching what is happening with infection rates even more keenly now and hoping that no extension of restrictions is forthcoming. After nearly 13 weeks on a relatives drive I am certainly looking forward to both the nice long drive down to Devon, also the open space and views which we will have all to ourselves for a couple of weeks before we receive our first guests. Cannot go down there just yet as the Water will not get switched on or the Legionella checks conducted until Monday 22nd so will get there on Saturday as Sunday is my first official day back at work, yee hah !!

vwalan

lets hope the sun is shining again soon.
lots of thunder and storms today and yesterday.
but lots of holiday makers around . had a drive out along the north coast on monday and the beaches right along newquay and down to st agnes were filling up with sun bathers , and lots out in the water riding the waves .
have a good time and enjoy the rest of the summer.
lets hope there isnt a second lot of covid in uk.
mind there could be as folk return again from abroad.

Willum

Good news, Eric.
Nice change of scenery for you. My most recent change of scenery has been three days worth of closeups of soffits, fascias, bargeboards, gravel - and more gravel. Happily not many of those on a motorhome, so still itching and fingers crossed the tit-for-tat self isolation rules go away and we can clear off to Spain and get the old girl back again.
Looks very much like Jet2 have already refunded the flights they cancelled on us. I'll be spitting feathers if it turns out we could actually go on 1st July.......................
Will

Willum

So France is ok now
A very interesting little snippet Chris and an interesting website on the link. Thanks. Don't know why I never saw it in the past. I'd heard somewhere else (third party info from friends on Motorhome Fun, if memory serves) that the French aires/campsites were happily accepting Brits. Heard somewhere else that if you fly in you still had to quarantine. Maybe urban myth (bovine turdology) and things change by the hour but still good news.
Will

BigMomma

Lots of Motorhomers have already booked on the Tunnel for next week according to posts on the various forums I have been reading. I think it is the Air and Rail travel that I would be more concerned about. Even on ferries the pinch point will be when you have boarded and getting out of vehicles and going up the narrow stairwells to the upper decks, however, wearing a face covering should reduce any risk on that score as you are not in contact with others for that long. Once we get to our cabin we remain in there for the duration of the journey, so even Ferry travel is not bad, unless you are somebody that has to be at the bar having a drink or remain in the crowded social areas. Come June 28th/29th the Government will announce that the 14 day quarantine period will be scrapped, FCO will lift restrictions on travel to Europe, although I still think it will advise not to travel to ‘High Risk Covid Areas’ such as parts of Asia, Africa and the Americas and of course that the Hospitality and Tourism sectors can re-open wef from 4th July. The biggest risk after that will be all the idiots who will act as if life has returned to normal but from a Motorhoming perspective, you can choose to social distance much easier and find some nice isolated locations. Let’s hope that you can get back to Spain safely in the very near future and collect your van :thumb:

Adverts