It's Still a Bl**dy Shambles...........

Willum

Things are moving on, then backwards again.
When Spain announced they were welcoming tourists in again from 1st July, we found Jet2 had scheduled a few flights to Malaga and grabbed a couple of cheap(ish) seats.
Whaddya know! You probably do! They've since decided Brits are 'persona no grata' because the UK has no way got control of the situation. Yea, maybe we jumped the gun a bit with the tickets, but.......
I've also got a bad feeling that since the campsite can open for locals, our 'rent' will jump to summer rates - 4 times the current. RATS!
Looks like we're stuffed in terms of getting the camper back here anytime soon.
We emailed the British Consulate to ask for guidance ref keeping the thing in Spain over the permitted 12 months, etc.
No response.
We emailed our local MP reference similar things and asking where we could get some guidance.
No response. Perhaps she knows I didn't vote for her.........
The UK is still a rudderless ship with a government still presiding over a managed cull of the vulnerable, all the time spouting platitudes about how terrible the loss is. Care Homes allegedly given money that they find the small print says they cannot spend on what they need. Then there's that much vaunted Track and Trace nonsense being trialed on the Isle of Wight. Been a bit quiet on that one recently. It appears that, predictably, the security of the 'app' is crap........ and don't start me off on Dominic Cummings........
There's one brighter bit of news for me, though. I passed my Old Pharts driving medical and sent off my licence in good time, to see it vanish into the bowels of DVLA. Surprise, surprise, it fell through the letterbox a few days ago. As usual with DVLA there always a thorn to wind me up. Up to their usual standards they had knicked 6 weeks of my 3 year entitlement by not renewing it from my birthday, but by starting it on the day they issued the licence. I believe they are following the Passport Office's lead. You are encouraged to send it off in good time to avoid disappointment - so they start the new one from the date of issue, instead of the date of expiry of the old one.
I find that to be a chiselling, dirty little trick by a government body who should be brought to book - but hey, when would a politician ever do that if it means you can extort a few more quid out of the law abiding punters?
That's my rant over for a while. Back to the house and driveway renovation - and with all this rain, more grass cutting :(
Will

vwalan

been a cracking day here in cornwall. had a drive to mevagissey then down the coast to st mawes then zig zagged through little villages etc back home .
the hedges are in full bloom and growing lovely.
sun shined all day . beaches getting busy and the cyclists on the lanes is incredible.
lovely day out and lots happy people on the way.
bob had no trouble getting back from spain , once his van got fixed ,he drove through spain and france with no bother and caught the tunnel train back to uk.
he had 11weeks almost on the beaches near sagunt and had no probs with police or anything . seems some have trouble and some have it easy.

sundowners

Portugal have invited British back so they are a bit more desperate for UK £s!!!!!!!
Maybe you could get to Spain via Portugal????----- I don't know if it is British that Spain is stopping or people coming direct from UK????
Portugal has taken this whole virus thing very seriously----- we had all that lockdown stuff very early on and now everything is starting to open up------- BUT----- face masks are compulsory in shops and restaurants etc (we are allowed to remove them to eat and drink) and in general the public are being very cautious!!
Today was the first day we could eat chicken dinner at a local market, but there were lots of precautions!!------ it is so good to be able to get out for coffee and meals after the restrictions!!!
Lisbon still has a problem with it so many of the restrictions are still in place there!!

Willum

been a cracking day here in cornwall. had a drive to mevagissey then down the coast to st mawes then zig zagged through little villages etc back home .
the hedges are in full bloom and growing lovely.
sun shined all day . beaches getting busy and the cyclists on the lanes is incredible.
lovely day out and lots happy people on the way.
bob had no trouble getting back from spain , once his van got fixed ,he drove through spain and france with no bother and caught the tunnel train back to uk.
he had 11weeks almost on the beaches near sagunt and had no probs with police or anything . seems some have trouble and some have it easy.
It's not the getting back that's a problem, Alan. There are even ferries to be had from the Basque country. Getting there is proving iffy at the moment. I quite like Sundowners' idea. Go to Portugal and a quick border raid to nab the camper and head north. As was said, is it direct from UK that they don't want, or Brits in general? Relatively early days and so here's hoping for a bit of clarity from somewhere on travel restrictions.
Will
ps Nigel! Enough already with the talk of Portuguese chicken dinners :lipssealed: I'm drooling.

chrisjones18

For the licence you need to send it in with a max of 3 weeks left on it to get it to run again from the expiry date. Found this out from wincanton trans. But the government dont tell you when you apply..grŕr

Willum

I should have guessed, Chris. I sent it off as early as possible because at the time DVLA was effectively shut down. As you say, if you don't know to ask, they never volunteer the information. I read reames and reames of meaninless paperwork and info on the setup because it was my first licence renewal with a medical necessity. Never saw ANY mention of the 3 week bit - even if I dared risk it....... :mad:
Will

BigMomma

I think you will find that the restrictions will be for British citizens arriving FROM the UK, Airports, Sea Ports and Tunnel. I think anyone trying to get to Spain via another Country will be risking wasting a lot of money, there will be checks and questions as to where you came from and when. There are still lots of Brits in Europe and when the internal Borders open some will be attempting to return home to UK, they are not the problem, it is the high infection rate in the UK that everyone is concerned about Not Brits who have been stuck in What are now lower risk EU Countries.

Willum

I think you will find that the restrictions will be for British citizens arriving FROM the UK, Airports, Sea Ports and Tunnel. I think anyone trying to get to Spain via another Country will be risking wasting a lot of money, there will be checks and questions as to where you came from and when. There are still lots of Brits in Europe and when the internal Borders open some will be attempting to return home to UK, they are not the problem, it is the high infection rate in the UK that everyone is concerned about Not Brits who have been stuck in What are now lower risk EU Countries.
Absolutely! My idea of a 'border raid' was in jest but reading it again it doesn't come across quite right.
The other bit that baffles me is why Britain now wants to start quarantining arrivals from abroad? It's been a free for all up to this point and just about everyone else has got their 'R' rate well down. That horse bolted months ago. Did they not care, in March, how many extra cases were generated by people arriving with Covid-19? Think I mentioned elsewhere that when we arrived back from Spain there was absolutely no precaution at all, just one small, ineffective notice in the airport at Immigration. Weeks before the lockdown here we had friends returning to Norway from Spain and they were made to isolate for 14 days, no questions, just do it.
We did it as a matter of common sense but as far as the UK was concerned with the wellbeing of the general public, we came from the second worst infected country in Europe and could have toured the country, spreading it everywhere.
I'm ranting again. Sorry everybody.
Never mind. According to Boris and friends we must be ALERT.
After all, Britain needs lots more Lerts.
Out of interest, is anyone else taking part in the ZOE (Kings College, London) survey?
Will

BigMomma

I agree totally. Too slow to initiate Lockdown, too quick to ease the restrictions, Boris could have started to get people back to work in the key areas he wanted but why in Gods name let everyone else have the freedom to roam basically anywhere they wanted within England unless, as he now denies, he wanted the ‘Herd Immunity’ scenario ? Like everything that man spouts, Lies and more lies, he says that he wants nothing less than a ‘Free’ trade deal with the EU, but now he is prepared to accept Tarrifs on certain products, he said that he would not accept lower food standards from the USA but now is in talks about accepting not only Chlorinated Chicken but also Beef cattle that has bee injected with up to 47 types of anti-biotics that are not acceptable under EU regulations, we will not have a Border across the Irish Sea with N.I. but now we will, I am just waiting for him to now sell the UK Fishing Industry down the river !! So yes “Get Brexit Done” but he will do it at the detriment to this Nations Independence, we will still be subject to EU rules and be bound by decisions of the ECJ, but without any recourse as we will not be sitting around the table to have a say so worse off than what we were before. He already had a track record for deceit and lies but still the idiots voted him in power, the one thing the Brexiteers will NOT get is what they wished for And as the rest of the world looks on at how this Government has mishandled this Pandemic crisis, they are the very people he is hoping that will do business with us in the future ? Would you .......... ????? What is the survey and how do you participate ?

Willum

I'm afraid BoZo is just the mouthpiece of the heavyweight Brexit (largely non-elected) proponents - and hence his shielding of Dominic Cummings. If it was ever needed, yet more proof of their arrogance and determination to further their own ends, NOT, so very NOT, the good of this country.
Right. A Covid-19 study I would trust:
A link:
the 'join' bit is right at the bottom of the page, basically a question of downloading the app to you phone and, from my limited knowledge, doable on line if you prefer not to use your phone. It does occasionally ask extra questions as well, as they try and establish patterns but it's no great imposition. Like it says, it takes me less than a minute a day to report for the two of us and it sends a daily reminder as well.
Got to be at least as useful as the IOW version. Pat found a snippet the other day about the scam artists having already started on the IOW, calling participants telling them their TV licence was out of date/prosecution likely/give us your bank details, all the usual scumbag tricks.
Pretty much the sort of thing my son predicted with it's poor security.
Will

sundowners

I would think?? that you could self isolate in a b&b in Portugal for a couple of weeks???

Willum

I would think?? that you could self isolate in a b&b in Portugal for a couple of weeks???
...... and if we could with certainty, we'd probably do exactly that. I've had some of my most enjoyable times in Portugal, so I'd have to be careful not to take root.:D Trouble is, Nigel, until there's some clarity from the British and Spanish ends of it we might just get trapped again..........
Will

Dunroamin

It would appear that in your urgency to get out you went from the frying pan into the fire. I sympathise with your situation but must say that I hope the Greeks refuse entry to UK travellers until such time as the situation there is a lot better.

Willum

It would appear that in your urgency to get out you went from the frying pan into the fire. I sympathise with your situation but must say that I hope the Greeks refuse entry to UK travellers until such time as the situation there is a lot better.
Hmmm. I take your point but I would qualify it with 'Maybe we did' - but what tipped the decision was the idea of being stuck in a (Spanish) medical system that was failing and certainly didn't want any extra load, with a wife who suffers from COPD. It made for a fairly straightforward choice.
Right now, though, I'm just a tiny bit jealous of both you and Sundowners. You seem to have ended up in good places ;) - and yep, in your position, I wouldn't want the great unwashed as neighbours - and I include myself in that classification. We aren't safe - yet.
Seems the NHS never got overloaded, even if it struggled and stumbled. The care home system is another matter entirely. As a couple we were less under pressure for space/support/safety here than in our situation in Spain, even if the UK political response has been shambolic - or Boris and pals wanted to quietly try the 'herd immunity' approach and had to back away from it.
I'm of one of the fairly commonly held opinions of politicians, ie: They have their mouth open and not stuffing food in it, they're talking, therefore they are almost certainly lying.......
Jaundiced? Maybe.
Unfair? I don't think so.
Will

BigMomma

Only those from the UK though, there are lots of UK Motorhomers still in Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Germany so they are at the same low risk as any other European nation. Most in this Country have already ruled out going into Europe this year and the Campsites are already pretty much booked up in anticipation of the Campsites opening up again in UK on 4th July, which will be good for the UK economy unless there is a second spike in the infection :wasntme:

BigMomma

Hmmm. I take your point but I would qualify it with 'Maybe we did' - but what tipped the decision was the idea of being stuck in a (Spanish) medical system that was failing and certainly didn't want any extra load, with a wife who suffers from COPD. It made for a fairly straightforward choice.
Right now, though, I'm just a tiny bit jealous of both you and Sundowners. You seem to have ended up in good places ;) - and yep, in your position, I wouldn't want the great unwashed as neighbours - and I include myself in that classification. We aren't safe - yet.
Seems the NHS never got overloaded, even if it struggled and stumbled. The care home system is another matter entirely. As a couple we were less under pressure for space/support/safety here than in our situation in Spain, even if the UK political response has been shambolic - or Boris and pals wanted to quietly try the 'herd immunity' approach and had to back away from it.
I'm of one of the fairly commonly held opinions of politicians, ie: They have their mouth open and not stuffing food in it, they're talking, therefore they are almost certainly lying.......
Jaundiced? Maybe.
Unfair? I don't think so.
Will
Dont be too confident that Boris has backed off from the ‘Herd Immunity’ scenario, he has denied that that was his philosophy until called out by an Italian Minister. By letting people travel anywhere within England he knew that they would pack to the Beaches and other Tourist hot spots during the lovely prolonged hot Weather and knows that a large proportion of the British mentality is to not do as they are advised, so social distancing or wearing face coverings was never going to happen. He is opening up High Streets and shopping malls next week, the shops may try and organise social distancing but outside of the shops, in the Malls public areas and on the High Streets ? He knows exactly what he is doing and he is now talking about opening up Pubs. If or when Campsites open up On 4th July, do you think they will remain on their pitch on site and not go to the local towns, beaches, pubs, tourist areas ?

LuckAhead

Dont be too confident that Boris has backed off from the ‘Herd Immunity’ scenario, he has denied that that was his philosophy until called out by an Italian Minister. By letting people travel anywhere within England he knew that they would pack to the Beaches and other Tourist hot spots during the lovely prolonged hot Weather and knows that a large proportion of the British mentality is to not do as they are advised, so social distancing or wearing face coverings was never going to happen. He is opening up High Streets and shopping malls next week, the shops may try and organise social distancing but outside of the shops, in the Malls public areas and on the High Streets ? He knows exactly what he is doing and he is now talking about opening up Pubs. If or when Campsites open up On 4th July, do you think they will remain on their pitch on site and not go to the local towns, beaches, pubs, tourist areas ?
The letting people travel anywhere started on the same day they reopened the housing market. It was just so people could travel any distance for house viewings. After all HPI is the UK economy.

BigMomma

The letting people travel anywhere started on the same day they reopened the housing market. It was just so people could travel any distance for house viewings. After all HPI is the UK economy.
If that had been the case then that could have been the only concession for travel, but then anybody on Beaches or in Tourist hotspots that were hours away from their homes would have had no excuses. Boris actually stated that people could Exercise for as long as they wanted, their would be no restriction on distance and the guidance Also allowed for sunbathing and having picnics ?

LuckAhead

If that had been the case then that could have been the only concession for travel, but then anybody on Beaches or in Tourist hotspots that were hours away from their homes would have had no excuses. Boris actually stated that people could Exercise for as long as they wanted, their would be no restriction on distance and the guidance Also allowed for sunbathing and having picnics ?
If they had only said 'you can travel anywhere to view houses', then it would have raised questions about why can't we travel for this that or the other? They did unlimited travel for exercise but I think the real motive was to try help the housing market. It's not a coincidence both started on the very same day. People simply don't need to travel an unlimited distance just for exercise.

Adverts