INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT

If brixit dictates that we all need (IDP) when in Europe. if we're all ready travelling abroad, will we need to go back home and apply for it there or using family back home. Or can we do it from an European office.

BigMomma

As I understand it, you can only apply for it at a Post Office in the U.K. at a cost of £5.50 each. You need to present your driving licence, passport and a passport sized photo.

But do not be too hasty, seems possible that France & Spain may not be requiring this, or at least for 9 months after Brexit. There may well be similar concessions by other member states before it is all over.

Many thanks.

What a mess this brexit is. No one knows a thing. Should be interesting. I agree with u. They can't implement these thing straight away as alot of us are away already.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

BigMomma

What we seem to overlook is that a change in process and procedures for us, also entails changes for other citizens of EU member states, already in, or travelling to U.K. As well as those who have pre-booked for their Easter or Summer holidays, who also do not know what will be required. So contingency plans are being put in place, such as, no change for 9 months after Brexit. People from UK leaving now for extended touring can obtain IDP's from Post Ofices now if they want to play safe, even if they may not be required.

BigMomma

like the rest of the 'normal' population of the UK, and those in the EU as well, it is just a 'Ball of Confusion' at the minute. Unless somebody has 'insider information' then nobody on this forum can give you any cast iron guarantees, just opinions and speculative guesswork. My guess, for what it is worth, and it is based purely on speculation around what I read, is that in the case of a no deal scenario, measures will be put in place, by the UK and EU, that will delay any immediate introduction to changes. Those delays are estimated to be of a 9 month time frame, more than enough for you to get back to the UK to sort yourself out for future overseas travels :thumb:

BigMomma

Further to the above. There are also two other possibilities to this, the first is that there could still be an agreed 'Deal'. If this happens, based on the current timelines, then there will be a 'Transition Period', this is the time to ratify future protocols, amend legislation etc. and that transition period will not be completed until December 2020. So until then we would still be classed as EU citizens and subject to EU rules so the travel restrictions, new requirements for additional documents etc. will not come into effect until December 2020. The second possibility is that there may be a second referendum then what happens next will be subject to the outcome of that referendum result.

chrisjones18

Jim's article is spot on, though today Spain have extended the period to 9 months to exchange the UK licence for a Spanish one if you have residency in Spain. So after Dec this option will be no longer possible.
They do say you will need a idp licence to drive in Spain as the UK say you need one.
The idp comes from a UK post office and you must go in person to obtain it.

BigMomma

Just seen an article on another site whereby a firm is setting up facilities at four U.K. ports where you will be able to obtain Green Cards if you have forgotten to get one prior to travelling. Will try at some point to find the link to add on here unless someone else has it :thumb:

The IDP is also different for France and Spain so you will need an IDP for each country. There is possibly a third but I cannot remember which country that is at present. So it is not just one IDP if you are driving from UK to Spain via France. There is also a 3 month limit so no more extended tours.

Nothing surprises me. I bet each country will want different visas, different payloads on the vans and different axel weights and different tyres.

I'm done with this ..I'm going to buy a tent, before they starting to make regs on tents

BigMomma

No different Visas, just 90 day visit limitation in any one period of 180 days. There will be a new system introduced in 2021, ETIAS, pay €7 but valid for 3 years, it is instead of a VISA and apples to all visitors from non-EU countries. Don't worry, bit like the introduction of Decimalisation, we will soon get used to the changes and then the changes will become normal and routine and we will adapt to them :thumb:

sundowners

If there is ever a Brexit you/we will soon get used to any changes-------- we used to travel around Europe before it all become controlled by EU----- there were rules but we never had problems!!----- just a 'discussion' at the Maroc boarder when we had overstayed our time there!!!!!! Just smile and say you are just English ------- that accounts for your dense behaviour!!!!!!!!
Don't worry about vehicle specs. they will still be standardized----- I believe the only real changes will be a little more paperwork and working around any time limits imposed----------- but then we are now Portuguese residents!!!!!!!!!

No different Visas, just 90 day visit limitation in any one period of 180 days. There will be a new system introduced in 2021, ETIAS, pay €7 but valid for 3 years, it is instead of a VISA and apples to all visitors from non-EU countries. Don't worry, bit like the introduction of Decimalisation, we will soon get used to the changes and then the changes will become normal and routine and we will adapt to them :thumb:
Thanks

I'm sure it will change again , before it's implementex

vwalan

for winters away it will be 40 or so days spain /france ,then 90 days morocco , then back to eu for the days left to make the 90 days up then back to uk for summer . or something like that.
possibly visit different places . ferry from france to tunisiia or some where .
there is a rumour that there may be a ferry from uk to morocco starting soon that will cut out eu totally.
might be we stay in the eu the way things are going.

BigMomma

We, the 'normal' minions do not have a clue what games are afoot, but, as always, we will find a way to suit our needs ;) we can do time in France, Germany, Switzerland, France into Spain, then Morocco back to Spain then another 90 day wander, so only have to do 90 days or so in U.K., visit family, get service/MOT done, bit of a UK tour then back to Europe, cannot see a problem really :thumb:

Adverts