Help!! mould issue

Mike7692

Merry Xmas everyone but can you turn it into a 'happy' one please.......
We've got up this morning and moved some stuff for our final bit of Xmas shopping and found the inside of the cab doors and wheel arches covered in dusty mould.........how can I stop it returning? Do I need a humidifier or do I need to keep the draughts which I've tried to eliminate?
TIA Mike

square_steve

An adult releases around half a litre of moisture into the atmosphere over an 8 hour period, if you have created a virtually air tight box this may be the root of the problem.
Mould will start on the least insulated surfaces and as moisture levels increase spreading to other areas including top lockers where trapped warm moist air will cool and condensation may form.
I leave my cab vent settings to allow fresh air in and direct to windscreen. Hope that's of some help Mike.

Last edited:

Mike7692

Cheers Steve since we last moved, in October, I have changed the vent settings to circulate rather than intake and we have purchased the longer length Taylor made windscreen cover. We do get some moisture, when cooking, in the top lockers especially over the cab where its cooler. I tried to stop the draught at low level from the cab end when sitting watching t.v. think this may have been the start!
Would a long lined curtain be better across the cab area to stop draughts or is it likely to just move the problem??.......

square_steve

I also have the external silver screens which I have only used once. Just laziness really, I put a curtain across the cab behind the seats and park with the windscreen facing sunrise. If there is any windscreen condensation is soon dried by the sun.
My van is a self build Mike and I fitted a flettner roof vent which draws the warm moist air out. I can close it on really cold nights but leave it open mostly.
Where are you UK or somewhere warmer?

alf&m

Hi Mike, do you have a cooker extractor if not open a window a little whilst cooking,it sounds if you need fresh air circulation, better to have out side air coming in rather than recirculation,at this time year it is hard to totally stop moisture but air circulation is a must,happy Christmas regards Alf.

Mike7692

Steve, we are in Suffolk...would love to be somewhere warmer but still have to work unfortunately, been full-time living since July.

Cheers Alf, we don't have an extractor & we share the cooking but we don't all open the windows or r/lights :lipssealed: think its definitely air circulation which has caused this issue.

hpold

A bag of salt in a plastic box will keep the moisture at bay used to use it on the boat .:thumb: Cat litter will also keep the smell away had no problems in our moho you can put it in your trainers to take the smell away to :thumb:

alf&m

Yeah that's correct hpold good tip,we use bath salts gives a great smell and a good job even up here when Temps drop to -25 regards Alf.

Mike7692

Yeah that's correct hpold good tip,we use bath salts gives a great smell and a good job even up here when Temps drop to -25 regards Alf.
I better ask the wife what fragrances she'd like...;)
Thanks guys gotta clean it all off when I get back from work...any suggestions other than the branded sprays..

chrisjones18

household bleach will kill mould on non porous surfaces. mix it 1 part bleach to 10 parts water.

or use white vinegar, use it neat in a spray then leave for 1 hr before washing off with water. to stop more growing let the surface dry then spray more vinegar on every day for 4 days.....do not wash it off and it should prevent the mould growing back .

its harder to kill on porous surfaces but try borax or hydrogen peroxide

the dry mould dust is very bad for your health....

Mike7692

Cheers Chris
Do I just plonk the salts in a tub or do something particular with them guys...

hpold

Cheers Chris
Do I just plonk the salts in a tub or do something particular with them guys...
Plonk in a tub or used yoghort tub put the lid on and punch some holes in it .

hpold

I also have the external silver screens which I have only used once. Just laziness really, I put a curtain across the cab behind the seats and park with the windscreen facing sunrise. If there is any windscreen condensation is soon dried by the sun.
My van is a self build Mike and I fitted a flettner roof vent which draws the warm moist air out. I can close it on really cold nights but leave it open mostly.
Where are you UK or somewhere warmer?
You can get the solar vents used on boats and you can have them in or out extraction they do not let the rain in either. The other way is to get an old 12v fan from a heater and make one from and use the heater switch and another swich to reverse the polarity so you can have in or out extraction all from a scrappy.

Last edited:

Mike7692

Thanks for all the advice folks. O/h is thinking about the vent/extractors.......:eek: her point was this is our home now & if it costs a bit to improve & protect then so be it. A friend said he had a vent on his previous van...cost about £300.....sound right??

hpold

Thanks for all the advice folks. O/h is thinking about the vent/extractors.......:eek: her point was this is our home now & if it costs a bit to improve & protect then so be it. A friend said he had a vent on his previous van...cost about £300.....sound right??
Thats too much he ripped off you can get a quiet 12 v computer vent from maplins and wire it in yourself and an cover from a caravan place for the out side same as a fridge vent the computer coolers do not use much if any power. Job done for £20 and 30 mins work.:)

Mike7692

He said it was in the square rooflight over the kitchen area and tbh I'm not confident diy person certainly not to put holes in the van when under warranty :)

BwB

Would think you have enough ventilation in the van already. Regs mean all roof opening have built in trickle and there is enough air coming in low down via the cab vents. What can happen, though, in winter, if you put something in a plastic bag in a locker against an outside wall you will get condensation between the two surfaces - however good/thick your wall insulation is . I guess not just plastic bags but anything similar which prevents air flow. Ramming lockers tightly packed will prevent airflow against the inside of an outside wall and eventually you'll get damp spots (and then mould). Just a small gap between the contents of the locker and the wall will prevent it happening.

Mike7692

Thanks Brian will have to have a bit of a rearrangement I think. We did notice a couple of items of clothing that seemed a little damp - wife's locker obviously :angel: !

BwB

:)

Adverts