Hello there, thinking of 'moving' to a motorhome... looking for lots of advice!

Rhodanthe

My first question would be: how much is it generally to stay the night in a safe and fairly nice place? I am a single woman, and safety is paramount, as is peaceful location in nature. Many thanks!

vwalan

hi, welcome.
i cheat i do still have a place to return to.
but many on here do fulltime.
i used to go away for months at a time , hardly ever used campsites or airres . avoid stopping anywhere you might have to pay.
dont use toll roads etc either.
loads of nice places to stop a night here ,a night there.
dont actually camp,by putting things outside.
tables ,chairs , bbq all look bad if stopping a fee days.
i,m sure more will be along soon .
have a good one.

BigMomma

My first question would be: how much is it generally to stay the night in a safe and fairly nice place? I am a single woman, and safety is paramount, as is peaceful location in nature. Many thanks!
Are you asking about places in the U.K. or over the water in Europe ?

First thing is to get security devices for your van, an additional deadbolt is useful as is an alarm system and an additional means of securing your cab doors, but it will depend on the type of van that you purchase as to what is practical.

The UK is not as Motorhome friendly as Europe is but, if you join one (or both) of the main U.K. Caravan Clubs then, in addition to the main Campsites membership will also give you access to hundreds of what are classed as 'Certified Locations' which are privately managed small sites, usually only 5 vans. These are located all over the Country, near towns, in rural locations, etc.

In Europe they have things that are generally referred to as 'Aires' (They are called different things in some Countries, 'Stellplatz' in Germany and 'Sostas' in Italy but as I say, generally people just call them 'Aires' irrespective of which Country they may be travelling in). Aires can be 'free' and a lot of them are, some you have to pay for but they are not as expensive as Campsites. Their are also things like 'France Passion', again, called different things in different Countries but these are places where, once you join the scheme (Annual Subscription) you can stay free of charge, officially just for one night but.......;) there are small, medium and large private Campsites and if you travel in low Season and get an ACSI Card you can discount on pitch fees.

It is a wonderful life, both in U.K. and Europe and once you get out on the road you will meet a lot of other 'Van Lifers' who are generally willing to assist if you have any problems.

Enjoy the lifestyle and do not be afraid to ask questions :thumb:

chrisjones18

My first question would be: how much is it generally to stay the night in a safe and fairly nice place?
As said above it can be free or more than a hotel room.
Check out both uk clubs 1 caravan and motorhome club , 2 caravan and camping club.
Try searchforsites.co.uk for a general look at things as most sites free or otherwise are listed on it. (There are other apps)
I will stop anywhere but the missus is a lot more fussier.

Enjoy and welcome :thumb:

Adverts