Hello and help!!

Hi all. Want to introduce myself as a 'to be' newbie. Due to the rather rotten lemons life has thrown at me I am trying to make lemonade and have made the decision that at this point in my life I want to become a full time Motorhomer. However, the lemonade is not going well. Having done a lot of research in order to be prepared (ex Girl guide - along time ago!!!) one of the first things I looked into was whether this was legal to do in this country and the answer was yes - even with 'no fixed abode' - it is completely legal just to have an address for correspondence (Comfort even state this on thier blog ref full time living!!!!!!!!) But, it would seem that insurance companies have more governance over this than the law. I came across Comfort quite early on in my 'research'. Having seen a lovely motorhome that suits both my needs for this purpose and budget I contacted them - but the computer said NO, NO, NO, NO!! No, the MH is too old; No, it's not expensive enough!; No we don't insure fulltiming in an American RV (it's not a huge one - 9ms and UK registered); - and No, we don't insure no fixed abode!!!!!! So turning to other companies (but haven't exhausted them all yet) - it seems it is also a resounding NO to not having a 'permanent bricks and mortar' where the MH will be 'mainly' 'parked' and NO to 'full timing' - as in living in it, and NO to no fixed abode. Also as part of my research, I have come across websites such as this and many youtubes videos on motorhoming and living in a motorhome(caravan/campervan) 'full time', leaving the rat race etc etc. It is obvioulsy not uncommon. So my question is - HOW???? How on earth do you get insurance to be able to do this. HOW??? - How can insurance companies have the power to basically null and void UK law? HOW??? How can I do this?? This is what I want to do, I do not want to pay rent to into someone else's pocket for the next two years when that money could 'buy' my own 'home', I do not want to pay extortionate utility bills and CT for the next two years, I do not wish to stagnet in this 'house' that is not my home doing nothing for the next two years except eeking out my money to last on rent and bills not able to afford to do much else as well, I do not wish/nor could retain a bricks and mortar address, and I am quite happy not to vote. I wish to live in a motorhome for the next couple of years and tour this beautiful country. All of which is perfectly legal in this country. Yet I cannot get insurance to do allow me do so! One reason - and one of many - to do this for a few years is to rid myself of the corruptness, control, confinement and compliance one is trapped and tricked into when living in bricks and mortar, yet this is what is stopping me. Doing this will bring me a lot of joy and happiness and 'freedom' for many reasons yet that choice is being severely hindered at almost the first hurdle which is, quite frankly, incredulous, annoying and frustrating. So, to those of you who have been there, done that - how did you do it?? How do you do it??? Your advice and help would be extremely appreciated as I don't quite know what to do next to resolve this. :mad:

Many TIA
Ufaa

vwalan

hi welcome.
have you a uk driving licence . it will need a uk postal address on it.
also an address for vehicle registration.
some use community sites with a person there as a mail opener etc.
some pay a very small yearly yard rental to cover this .
fairground sites and circus yards work like this .
do you have family you could use.
there are so many questions and answers .
travelers and gypsies have places they rent a space in .
many dont want to be mixed with them so dont use the facility to cover it all.
some use boatyards . or boat mail places .
voting can be arranged .
many just keep a place for now and then stopping or rent a room in family house etc .
lets hope you get sorted and have a great adventure. cheers alan.

BigMomma

There are many people who live fulltime in a Motorhome, who do not own a permanent residence in the UK and who are not on the Electoral Roll, these things do not stop you from being able to live fulltime in your van. Insurance companies work on 'Risk', how likely are they to actually have to pay out on claims ? So, they will screen potential customers and will put a variety of restrictions and stipulations in their policies to ensure that the 'Risk' to them is low.

First thing will be age and experience of driver then vehicle age, size, weight, value security devices fitted etc. These things are just for starters........

The requirements for fulltiming and getting Insurance:

First you must have a UK 'contact address' (Family member, friend ?) You do not have to own the property or live at that address but this address must be the same as the one on your UK Drivers Licence and your Vehicle Registration Document. There are Insurers out there that will cover fulltimers with older vehicles and even self-build conversions and I am sure in your research that you have already identified some of them. How many have you spoken to ?

I am with Comfort and have been for seven years and they are very good, but I fell into the category that they would accept, value and age of vehicle, security devices fitted and contact address requirements.

The majority (but not all) fulltimers tend to spend a proportion of time within the UK and a proportion of time in the EU. The older generation are retired and many keep properties in the U.K. which they rent out to earn an income from them and to keep a financial investment. However, many fulltimers these days are much younger and Earn a living whilst on the road. If you have not done so already, check out the 'You Tube' travel Vlogs and you will see many doing it in older vehicles which they have renovated and converted themselves, they must have obtained Insurance, why not contact them and ask them who they got insured with ?

If your plans are to live fulltime in a Motorhome/Campervan/RV etc. but to stay within the UK as you also have fulltime employment, then finding somewhere to park up and sleep may present their own difficulties as Road Traffic Regulations and Council By-Laws may well prevent you from 'legally' doing this on roads and streets. Dependent on your finances there are of course Campsites, large and small, but many of these have restrictions on how long you can stay, unless you can find a 'Residential' site to accommodate you (not that easy).

Insurance is but one obstacle to a fulltiming lifestyle, but depending on your personal circumstances, financial and general, it is not impossible.

So the questions that need answering by you, for any member on here to provide you with responsible and accurate advice is:

Are you looking for an alternative mobile residence in which to live but still require to hold down a permanent job in a specified location ?

Are you looking for an alternative mobile residence to live and work from ?

Sorry for the War & Peace essay but the fulltiming lifestyle can be very easy if you want to do it one way, or can be more difficult if you want/need to do it other ways.

There are many people who live fulltime in a Motorhome, who do not own a permanent residence in the UK and who are not on the Electoral Roll, these things do not stop you from being able to live fulltime in your van. Insurance companies work on 'Risk', how likely are they to actually have to pay out on claims ? So, they will screen potential customers and will put a variety of restrictions and stipulations in their policies to ensure that the 'Risk' to them is low.

First thing will be age and experience of driver then vehicle age, size, weight, value security devices fitted etc. These things are just for starters........

The requirements for fulltiming and getting Insurance:

First you must have a UK 'contact address' (Family member, friend ?) You do not have to own the property or live at that address but this address must be the same as the one on your UK Drivers Licence and your Vehicle Registration Document. There are Insurers out there that will cover fulltimers with older vehicles and even self-build conversions and I am sure in your research that you have already identified some of them. How many have you spoken to ?

I am with Comfort and have been for seven years and they are very good, but I fell into the category that they would accept, value and age of vehicle, security devices fitted and contact address requirements.

The majority (but not all) fulltimers tend to spend a proportion of time within the UK and a proportion of time in the EU. The older generation are retired and many keep properties in the U.K. which they rent out to earn an income from them and to keep a financial investment. However, many fulltimers these days are much younger and Earn a living whilst on the road. If you have not done so already, check out the 'You Tube' travel Vlogs and you will see many doing it in older vehicles which they have renovated and converted themselves, they must have obtained Insurance, why not contact them and ask them who they got insured with ?

If your plans are to live fulltime in a Motorhome/Campervan/RV etc. but to stay within the UK as you also have fulltime employment, then finding somewhere to park up and sleep may present their own difficulties as Road Traffic Regulations and Council By-Laws may well prevent you from 'legally' doing this on roads and streets. Dependent on your finances there are of course Campsites, large and small, but many of these have restrictions on how long you can stay, unless you can find a 'Residential' site to accommodate you (not that easy).

Insurance is but one obstacle to a fulltiming lifestyle, but depending on your personal circumstances, financial and general, it is not impossible.

So the questions that need answering by you, for any member on here to provide you with responsible and accurate advice is:

Are you looking for an alternative mobile residence in which to live but still require to hold down a permanent job in a specified location ?

Are you looking for an alternative mobile residence to live and work from ?

Sorry for the War & Peace essay but the fulltiming lifestyle can be very easy if you want to do it one way, or can be more difficult if you want/need to do it other ways.
Thank you for you reply and I don't mind War & Peace at all :) Have thought about and looked into many of the factors you have spoken about but it is all slightly complicated with this address business and other factors. My situation is not quite the normal run of the mill. Would it be possible to pm you? I have got to out for an hour or so but would very much appreciate speaking in more detail and benefitting from your knowledge. Ufaa

Thank you all for your replies. It is slightly complicated but this is what I am trying to figure out as people have done this so it is possible but my situation is slightly different with probably little complications ref family address and other bits and bobs. The problem with insurance is I'm being too honest but hey ho!!

BigMomma

Thank you for you reply and I don't mind War & Peace at all :) Have thought about and looked into many of the factors you have spoken about but it is all slightly complicated with this address business and other factors. My situation is not quite the normal run of the mill. Would it be possible to pm you? I have got to out for an hour or so but would very much appreciate speaking in more detail and benefitting from your knowledge. Ufaa
No problems with sending me a PM. Thee are quite a few other members on here who are currently active fulltimers, I am sure they will provide you with the benefit of their knowledge and experience once they get on line

No problems with sending me a PM. Thee are quite a few other members on here who are currently active fulltimers, I am sure they will provide you with the benefit of their knowledge and experience once they get on line
Thank you BM. Do you PM by choosing 'start conversation' when hovering over your picture/name?

chrisjones18

Ha e you tried Stavely Head for insurance

Adverts