Greetings From Germany

Rob Hall

Hello from Freiburg. (Roughly translates as 'Horrible')
We have hit Germany, first of all Monschau, a beautiful little town near Aachen, then on to Hellenthal...on to Bernkastel-Kues...gorgeous place, a MUST SEE for anyone travelling to the region. We parked for free on the side of the Mosel.
On to Gernsbach where we enjoyed a festival for the town and a massive firework display.
Today we have gone through the southern part of the Black Forest...one word BEAUTIFUL.
Tonight we are in Freiburg and from what I have seen so far it is rubbish, can't wait to leave tomorrow.
BM...I am keeping a track of the costs. (Just been interrupted by a bloody German 'cos we had the genny on for the microwave, this is the first crap German we have met, they have all been really nice. The Dutch are still the best though)
8 bloody euros a night at this place and no electric....what a rip off! (I can hear VWAL tapping on his keypad from here!!)
Tomorrow we are off to Triberg to see the waterfall, the highest in Germany, apparently. Probably stay the night near to Donaueschingen, where two small rivers join to form the Danube.
Then towards Bodensee where I will update you all again.

Rob Hall

Nowt cheap here anymore, the 'pomfrits' at the festival last night were 2.5 euro. I bought a Turkey Kebab, that was 6 euro!! This afternoon we stopped in a beautiful place called Freudenstadt, we had a Coffee, a Hot Chocolate and two pieces of cake....20 euro!!

BigMomma

Hi Rob, glad that you are enjoying yourself, pity about Freiburg and ashame you didn't make it to Staufen but you have to leave some things for another day ;) Do you have a copy of the BORD Atlas ? it lists Stellplatz for Germany and shows one's that are part of campsites. If you let me know in advance of which direction you are headed towards, towns etc, then I can look at my books and see if I can find some places for you :thumb:

Rob Hall

We are at a Stellplatz in Freiburg tonight, it is crap, dont bother with this one. Just looking in my Reise Mobil book now for tomorrow, looking at Trossingen or maybe Tuttlingen. I fancy a look at Donaueschingen...what do you think BM?

BigMomma

We are at a Stellplatz in Freiburg tonight, it is crap, dont bother with this one. Just looking in my Reise Mobil book now for tomorrow, looking at Trossingen or maybe Tuttlingen. I fancy a look at Donaueschingen...what do you think BM?
Two Stellplatz at Donaueschingen:

GPS N47, 56' 51" / E8, 30' 42" (10 Places FREE with Electric available (Does not give cost)

The above looks a nice one and is in a Schlosspark (Schloss being a castle I believe)

GPS N47, 57' 7" / E8, 30' 23" (6 Places FREE, WC)

Hope these are of use :thumb:

BigMomma

One at Trossingen if you want to take a look:

GPS: N48,4' 43" / E8, 37' 5" (will take vehicles 8-10 metres long, €4 + €1 Elec + €1 100Lts water

Stellplatz Naturbad TROASE

Rob Hall

Have a look at Trittenheim, that looks ok, what do you think?

Rob Hall

Hey, BM, I thought I would just add that Diesel is around 1.52-1.56 in the south, but, around 1.46-1.48 in the North

BigMomma

Have a look at Trittenheim, that looks ok, what do you think?
Looks good :thumb:

GPS: N49, 49' 28" / E6, 54' 10"

40 Places (up to 10m long) - €5 + €2.50 Elec (Chem disposal and water available)

Rob Hall

Looks good :thumb:

GPS: N49, 49' 28" / E6, 54' 10"

40 Places (up to 10m long) - €5 + €2.50 Elec (Chem disposal and water available)
Any idea what the Germans use for... "wifi available?"

BigMomma

Hey, BM, I thought I would just add that Diesel is around 1.52-1.56 in the south, but, around 1.46-1.48 in the North
Is that in Supermarkets or normal roadside service stations (not Autobahns). Based on €1.20 to £1 then at €1.56 that equates to £1.30 so 11p a Ltr cheaper than ASDA in Swindon :thumb:

BigMomma

Any idea what the Germans use for... "wifi available?"
In my book it shows a black circle with black spot in the middle on a white background and just refers to HotSpot/WLAN

Rob Hall

Is that in Supermarkets or normal roadside service stations (not Autobahns). Based on €1.20 to £1 then at €1.56 that equates to £1.30 so 11p a Ltr cheaper than ASDA in Swindon :thumb:
Thanks for the wifi thing...big help!!
It is a little cheaper than home, but i wonder why such a difference here? The most I have seen is 1.58..and guess what...I bought some:( Had to as my light came on on the autobahn and I was waiting to find some cheap stuff. (VWAL, please stop laughing!!)

Rob Hall

Just a thought BM, is ASDA in Swindon closer to you than Dusseldorf?:rofl:

BigMomma

Thanks for the wifi thing...big help!!
It is a little cheaper than home, but i wonder why such a difference here? The most I have seen is 1.58..and guess what...I bought some:( Had to as my light came on on the autobahn and I was waiting to find some cheap stuff. (VWAL, please stop laughing!!)
Remeber what I told you about when on Autobahns look for signs that say 'Autohof', these are just of a Motorway exit and are places where lorries usually park up for the night and they have eating places (Can be a Grill, McDonalds, Subway) they usually have a fuel station, BP, Shell, Esso, ARAL. Generally cheaper than the Autobahn service stations (same as in UK !!). If you see a sign for a SUPER U or INTERMARCHE supermarket then these are generally the cheapest places to get Diesel and LPG :thumb:

Rob Hall

Remeber what I told you about when on Autobahns look for signs that say 'Autohof', these are just of a Motorway exit and are places where lorries usually park up for the night and they have eating places (Can be a Grill, McDonalds, Subway) they usually have a fuel station, BP, Shell, Esso, ARAL. Generally cheaper than the Autobahn service stations (same as in UK !!). If you see a sign for a SUPER U or INTERMARCHE supermarket then these are generally the cheapest places to get Diesel and LPG :thumb:
Thanks BM:thumb:
By the way, I thought you were coming to Germany at some point??

BigMomma

Not me Guvn'r, went there for a quick months tour last year (Bavaria as it happens !!). Had to cancel this year's holiday in France because of Sharon's Op, going away for a few days at the back end of October and then nothing until Mexico next March. We have plans to do a month in France next summer doing some Wildcamping/Aires to test out the resources available on the van :eek: Scary but exciting at the thought of it.

Rob Hall

Not me Guvn'r, went there for a quick months tour last year (Bavaria as it happens !!). Had to cancel this year's holiday in France because of Sharon's Op, going away for a few days at the back end of October and then nothing until Mexico next March. We have plans to do a month in France next summer doing some Wildcamping/Aires to test out the resources available on the van :eek: Scary but exciting at the thought of it.
Oh yes, you did mention the op, it must have been someone else that was coming to Germany.
How did the Op go? Hope things are much better for her now?

Adverts