gas bottle

terry kiernan

Soon to spend time traveling around Europe. In the past carried extra gas bottle, but am considering buying a bottle I can fill at up while away. There are several available,
would appreciat any recommendations!!

coolasluck

I have an underslung tank if you go that route get it done at gas it or an agent who fits them properly. When mine was first fitted it was done incorrectly and to a poor standard. The other option are the gaslow bottles that are sited in your locker.

BigMomma

Had 2x11kg Gaslow bottles fitted when van was new. The only 'mod' to it was the fitting of an 'external' filler point, it makes it much easier when filling, especially at pumps where they are at the same point as the fuel pumps. Never had a problem in U.K. Or on my travels in Europe, lots of LPG (Can also be called GPL or Auto Gas in Europe ) available in U.K. & Europe and lots more than are listed in the 'Aires' publications. I would advise you download the 'App' called 'MyLPG - Europe' very useful :thumb:

Tom2023

I have a single gaslow fitted. Dead easy to fill up with the added bonus I won't ever do my back in lumping a heavy gas bottle around!

Can I just add I have one of their right angled brackets, cost £19,99, sitting in my pile of useful things I must sell for a few quid should anyone be interested.

sundowners

We have an underslung tank, it works really well-----------------when staying in the same place for a while we have a BBQ point (extendastay to the RVers) that we can buy a local bottle and run off that, you can use a lot of gas when stopping in cold weather----------------------but during hot weather you can use virtually none with good solar and running everything from batteries/inverter---------------We feed the inverter power into the vans 240v circuit , so everything is working off 240v.

Silver Drifter

Heating..? Heating..? What's all this about heating? Man-up chaps, heating is for wimps.....

sundowners

LPG is not readily available in Finland so diesel heating is really good for a winter trip there___________if we built another van we would try to include diesel heating, probably with its own tank to enable cheaper diesel use.

BigMomma

LPG is not readily available in Finland so diesel heating is really good for a winter trip there___________if we built another van we would try to include diesel heating, probably with its own tank to enable cheaper diesel use.
Could probably do something like they have on Narrowboats, a diesel heater with its own diesel header tank which is filled automatically by a small pump when required :thumb:

chrisjones18

If you put the tank over the heater you can just about get away without a pump, the added bonus is you could run on paraffin when temperature s get cold.5ltrs lasts a long while

vwalan

might seem strange but paraffin is actually getting hard to find in many countries . many places that used to sell it have stopped due to poor sales .

Shrimp

We have 2 Gaslow bottles-hubby fitted few years ago-very good, no worries about running out as we use one before turning the other one on then we know we have to get first one filled.
In UK Morrisons don't let MH's refill, but it's not too difficult to find gas, France-easy!
We have an external filler fitted so there's no opening of locker doors!
I see you're living in the van, we have been in ours now for 6 years.
There is a company called Countrywide, that have places you can refill, you set up an account, they give you a booklet of places and a key, you refill and they debit your account-from the bank. Contrary to the name they aren't 'countrywide'.

BigMomma

The good thing about having a 'Countrywide Farmers' Account is that you only get charged 5% VAT using their pump facilities, many of which are 24 hour accessible, unlike paying the 20% VAT at the normal petrol service stations that sell LPG :thumb:

vwalan

if you have an acount with calor you can also only pay 5%.
john and me have been hassling flogas for years to do the same . might get there in the end.
but in many countries changing bottles is cheaper than filling with lpg at garages anyway. plus places like maroc there isnt any at garages or wasnt last time i went. that could have changed but bottles were only about 4 quid exchange for 12kg ones .
seems to be varying between 11.80 and 14.10 we have paid this winter in spain for cepsa bottles exchange.

jimmy63alan

Has anyone got a wood burning gas bottle stove, or log burner. I have heard of people using waste oil burning stoves on canal boats but have any of you guys used wood burners or oil burning stoves. I will be getting some kind of stove for my future camper I am sure , either for outside use at night time or inside use.
ALAN

vwalan

i use a thermex catalytic heater but really find the gas lamps give enough heat to take the chill off unless its really cold . havnt had the fire on at all this winter.
dunroamin uses a wood burner.

Adverts