Driving a MH over 3.5t under Grandfather rights in spain

alf&m

Hi all ,as the above says , I would like my wife to drive in parts of europe,Spain and Portugal whilst on our travels, we've check with our licence Authorities, and they say ,she has the rights under Grandfather rights and she as held her licence before 1996 which is correct here in Sweden. We have down loaded the EU law under Grandfather rights, my Question is has any one encounter any problems with any local plod in any country whilst on there travels, thanking you all in advance for your answears,regards Alf.

vwalan

in 1997 the uk took away driving over 3,500kg vehicles with only a car test.
if you took the trailer test for b+e you could drive a 3,500kg and tow trailers as long as you didnt break the tow vehicles train limit.
thats known as b+e .. if you had b+e before 19th of january 2013 you could keep it.
also pre 1997 drivers kept the c1+e . it changed on the 1/1/97.
many of us kept c1+e and many of our children just scraped through ok. but newer drivers didnt.
ttps://www.drivex.co.uk/driving-licence-info/
have a look here its a good explanation.
mind back in 1991 many lost the right to drive buses and coaches not for hire and reward etc as the laws changed and a medical was required and proof you drove them before the change .many could have kept the d licence
i have the original info here if one day we meet i will let you have a look.
remember years ago buying a coach or some thing and converting them to motor homes was allowed.
i had a bedford coach for a few years as a camper. luckily i had taken my class 1 artic licence so i kept d+e . mind i had sold the coach by then and had a 13ton dodge truck instead.
my truck medical covered the required medical.
many of the hippy,s didnt know about keeping the licence and sold off their coach conversions .
dare say many on here are driving m,homes on grandfather rights for c1+e.

Attachments

Last edited:

alf&m

Sorry perhaps I didn't explain it right, Grandfather rights, is if you had your driving licence before 1997 UK and other parts of EU, here is before 1996, Germany 1997 France 1999, you can drive a mh over 3.5ton under Grandfather rights, Google CIVD EU Driving licence there is explained what I am writing about, thanks Alf&M

alf&m

I forgot to mention ,also the Mh must be registered as private car not light truck,Alf

alf&m

in 1997 the uk took away driving over 3,500kg vehicles with only a car test.
if you took the trailer test for b+e you could drive a 3,500kg and tow trailers as long as you didnt break the tow vehicles train limit.
thats known as b+e .. if you had b+e before 19th of january 2013 you could keep it.
also pre 1997 drivers kept the c1+e . it changed on the 1/1/97.
many of us kept c1+e and many of our children just scraped through ok. but newer drivers didnt.
ttps://www.drivex.co.uk/driving-licence-info/
have a look here its a good explanation.
mind back in 1991 many lost the right to drive buses and coaches not for hire and reward etc as the laws changed and a medical was required and proof you drove them before the change .many could have kept the d licence
i have the original info here if one day we meet i will let you have a look.
remember years ago buying a coach or some thing and converting them to motor homes was allowed.
i had a bedford coach for a few years as a camper. luckily i had taken my class 1 artic licence so i kept d+e . mind i had sold the coach by then and had a 13ton dodge truck instead.
my truck medical covered the required medical.
many of the hippy,s didnt know about keeping the licence and sold off their coach conversions .
dare say many on here are driving m,homes on grandfather rights for c1+e.
Yes Alan I've read the link and yes this is exactly right about Grandfaters right,(It's Great to be at the right age group , my Question have you or anyone you know had any problems in parts of the EU under these rights.thanks again Alf.

sundowners

Hi Alf
Never heard of any problems with our grandfather rights licence--------- the problem I have now is that I am not sure if I can drive over 3.5 t in Portugal now that I am over 70!! when I swap/register my licence for Portuguese---- as we spend too long there to legally use our British licence--------- no problem if we sell our motorhome --------we have bought a big caravan to take back this time to use as guest accommodation, our cabin is now habitable and we have Portuguese registered cars there--- so our future is changing!!! Eventually we plan to get a smaller (Portuguese) caravan to tow behind our ancient nissan to travel with!!!!!

chrisjones18

Hi Alf
Never heard of any problems with our grandfather rights licence--------- the problem I have now is that I am not sure if I can drive over 3.5 t in Portugal now that I am over 70!! when I swap/register my licence for Portuguese---- as we spend too long there to legally use our British licence--------- no problem if we sell our motorhome --------we have bought a big caravan to take back this time to use as guest accommodation, our cabin is now habitable and we have Portuguese registered cars there--- so our future is changing!!! Eventually we plan to get a smaller (Portuguese) caravan to tow behind our ancient nissan to travel with!!!!!
Looks like you will need to renew it every 2 years after 70 not 3 as it is in the UK
I think it goes on when you originally got it.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/driving-licence/driving-licence-recognition-validity/portugal/index_en.htm

vwalan

hi, i know a few spanish that deliberatly came to uk and swapped their licences for uk ones . that gained them c1 if they had took their tests before 97. then returned to spaon and swapped back to spanish licence . they kept the c1 entitlement.
not sure what happens at 70 in portugal or spain . but i imagine if you came back to uk ,had a medical etc on a uk licence then went back it would last three years maybe on the portugese one .
mind did the portugese ever have over 3.5 tons on their licence.
eu and none of the countries follow the same rules . hee hee.

alf&m

Hi Alf
Thankyou for the info ,and the very best from us for your future plans Alf and Marianne XX

John and Joan

I lost my PSV licence in 1975 Alan, that was before they put it on the normal licence as Cat D. At that time you had to renew your PSV every three years with the local Traffic Commissioners office and it had to be countersigned by an operator you were currently driving for. I went to college in 1973 and my licence was renewed in 1972. I was going to do some school contract work for Court Line October 1974 but they went bust days before I was due to start and I hadn't driven for a living in the gap between then and 1975. It was forbidden to tow a trailer with a bus in those days. I still had D and D1 +E on my licence when it was renewed from the old book to the paper licence and then the plastic one. I would not have been allowed to drive under Cat D after age 45 anyway due to having qualifying sight only in one eye.. (a new requirement when they changed over)

I have driven a 4600kg MGVW Motor home using grandfathers rights from retiring in 2006 to last year and never had a problem with the authorities. Last renewal they took almost a year to renew my licence, but I was still able to drive as I had held the relevant licence and was not disqualified for any reason. My next renewal is a month before my 77 birthday as opposed to my 76th birthday because of the delay by DVLA. Reason given by DVLA was lack of staff at the Medical Division of DVLA. I got the renewal as soon as my MP contacted them with no further questions or examinations. There were a few others in the same boat and we kept each other informed of progress using these forums.

alf&m

I lost my PSV licence in 1975 Alan, that was before they put it on the normal licence as Cat D. At that time you had to renew your PSV every three years with the local Traffic Commissioners office and it had to be countersigned by an operator you were currently driving for. I went to college in 1973 and my licence was renewed in 1972. I was going to do some school contract work for Court Line October 1974 but they went bust days before I was due to start and I hadn't driven for a living in the gap between then and 1975. It was forbidden to tow a trailer with a bus in those days. I still had D and D1 +E on my licence when it was renewed from the old book to the paper licence and then the plastic one. I would not have been allowed to drive under Cat D after age 45 anyway due to having qualifying sight only in one eye.. (a new requirement when they changed over)

I have driven a 4600kg MGVW Motor home using grandfathers rights from retiring in 2006 to last year and never had a problem with the authorities. Last renewal they took almost a year to renew my licence, but I was still able to drive as I had held the relevant licence and was not disqualified for any reason. My next renewal is a month before my 77 birthday as opposed to my 76th birthday because of the delay by DVLA. Reason given by DVLA was lack of staff at the Medical Division of DVLA. I got the renewal as soon as my MP contacted them with no further questions or examinations. There were a few others in the same boat and we kept each other informed of progress using these forums.
Good luck with your futures John and Joan

Adverts