Drive to Spain in 2020?

coolasluck

Can't see the point of spending 3 months in Spain or Portugal,it's just not long enough, some people said that nothing will change but they are wrong.

chrisjones18

Every 100 years something has happened to kill off the excess, then stupid is allowed to breed again.....
The world will never learn.

vwalan

its not really a problem,just means a ferry more often.
i used to get across to germany etc quite often when i was importing vw parts .i do like east side and poland but not keen on the old west germany.
i do like visiting places here in summer. wales is great. keep thinking of doing the humber coast and upwards . visit some of the places we used to go to when we lived up in donny.
but its a grand blue sky and sunny here . like being in spain in the winter.
think what coola means is 3 months in winter isnt ideal. but not to worry.
if our weather pattern changes to be hotter and sunny we wont have to go anywhere just enjoy here.
mind the green ,green grass of home might disappear if it gets hotter and drier.

Last edited:

BigMomma

Whilst I too would have much preferred to have been able to have stayed much longer than 90 days, when I do finally retire properly, it will not be just about travelling throughout the Winter periods and dashing for Spain or Portugal like many do, in fact we may be spending more Autumns/Winters in the UK to enable us to spend time in the Spring and Summer months to explore Europe, which is a big place and their are lots of Countries, and regions within those Countries, to explore and to be able to spend nearly three months doing that exploration is better than nothing But Motorhomers have different reasons and different ways of doing things, each to their own. I do not know exactly how long it would take to travel from a French Port to Portugal or Southern Spain, but I would estimate that with long driving days you could do it in 4-5 days, so if you allowed 10 travelling days to get to/from your destination that would still give you 80 days, that has to be worth it surely

BigMomma

The world will never learn.
Sadly Chris, that is the plain and simple truth. Today I have read, it may or may not be fake News , that Donald Trump is talking about getting to Mars and pillaging the Planets natural resources !! So, not satisfied with destroying our own Planet or doing anything to help protect it, his answer is to do more of the same from another planet, that just sums it up in a nutshell

vwalan

could be we get some real nice mars bars or even some cheap milky ways .
they did reach the moon .
but all we got is folk showing bare bums when mooning in their cars .
mind the sun wasnt reached but we did get topless young ladies in the paper.
best stop looking for the bad things ,look for the good things .
course racing through lots of countries abroad in a motorhome is ideal for the planet?
enjoy life where ever you are ,smile ,be happy.
soon be lots of cheap m,homes and houses .
opportunities never end .

Easyliving

We took about 5 days to get to Dénia, that’s driving through France. On the way back we went from the aire at Le Cap D’agde to the Tunnel (700 miles) with just one overnight stop, that was when the virus was rife of course.

Paul

BigMomma

We often drive straight from Bilbao or Santander all the way down to within half an hour of Gibraltar in 10 hours, that is under 'normal' circumstances, so I would imagine that if you are prepared to do longish daily drives from France that it could be done in just 3 days. However, if we were to do the French route we would opt to stay, as far as possible, off Toll Roads as here can be very expensive, so it may take longer I would guess

chrisjones18

25 years ago Milan to South Wales with a 38 ton truck in under 24hrs inclunding customs and the ferry .
Surely this is can bet bettered by a long way now.
I dont rush in the motorhome and dont drive a truck anymore so a bit clueless on times.....

chrisjones18

As is racing around the Countryside on motorbikes :wait:
I see strokers could be making a come back...... love 'em, nothing better than the smell of Castrol 'R' in the morning

vwalan

As is racing around the Countryside on motorbikes :wait:
just as well i dont go racing then. hee hee .
i try and go as slow as i can. seems to be i travel on my little bike at about 15mph on average. and use about half a litre of fuel.
mind i could do 60-70mph and still get good fuel consumption .
best way to travel from santander to gibralter is off the ferry turn right and follow the sea .
take every right turn towards the sea , then turn left on the closest road to the sea etc.
even some of the dead ends make interesting trips.
avoid all toll roads, motorways etc just keep to the little village type roads , its great fun.

BigMomma

You often hear people say 'It's all about the journey and not the destination', but that depends on where you are going and when you need or want to get there We have had some good trips, not knowing where we were heading to, just a general direction and those are the days I am looking forward to getting back to I want to turn up at a town or a village that I never knew existed, or just find a secluded place to park up for a night or two, whether that be on the Coast, in the Countryside, up in the mountains, by a lake or a river with the only time frame being the 90 day clock ticking when in Europe or in U.K. with no clock ticking other than the one for the annual MOT :thumb:

vwalan

i used to go alot quicker driving through france ,landing at roscoff then visit friends that lived near callac in brittany . then on to near anguleme to visit another couple. then through france ,ideally through andorra then to barcelona or sitges then down the coast . might even visit another friend that has land etc near llieda .
take 6 weeks to get to gib then ferry to maroc 90 days later either visit spain portugal back along the coast spain france back to roscoff.
after trying the spanish santander route it was then ferry to spain either via portugal to gibralter or south to the med . . saw things we had missed before .
later not going to maroc and just doing spain .sitges to just past adra then north through spain slowly and following some of the don quijote routes it was real fun. slowly slowly .
how many times have you stopped a night somewhere then set off the next day only doing a couple of miles and finding a better place to have stopped ? so we stopped . no rush . sometimes only going from one end of a village to the other end then on again slowly.
like you say stop by rivers,lakes . or anything that looks ok and a good place just for a night etc.
get away from the main roads through spain and its a real nice country drive if the weather is ok.
snow can catch you out . we often followed the snow ploughs in some areas .even the snow plough drivers got to know us and gave us tips to park here or there.
but what ever you do have lots of fun.

coolasluck

What are you talking about when you say some people say nothing will change ? Is that in regards to the Pandemic or Brexit or both ?
Brexit Eric

BigMomma

Brexit Eric
Well you already know that I am in total agreement with you on that one, but we always knew what impact it would have from very early on, others though appeared to be in denial right up until the very last minute when realisation finally dawned on them. But as the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink But having that early awareness meant that we have had plenty of time to both think about the restrictions, and plan the logistics of our future travels.

What we could not have planned for was this Pandemic and I am not sure just what sort of impact that may have on the ability and freedoms to wander around 'other' European countries, more on the Wildcamping and Free Camping si Guess we will just have to wait and see

vwalan

does seem like it could be getting better in spain. more shops opening etc .
might be able to get a stay over there before the end of the year.
do wonder if a stop over before we leave eu will be carried on as part of the 90 days in 180 ruling.
mind oct ,nov dec, then 90 days in morocco and then 90 days back in spain /portugal could be nice.

does seem like it could be getting better in spain. more shops opening etc .
might be able to get a stay over there before the end of the year.
do wonder if a stop over before we leave eu will be carried on as part of the 90 days in 180 ruling.
mind oct ,nov dec, then 90 days in morocco and then 90 days back in spain /portugal could be nice.
No shops open here, just supermarkets and pharmacies, everything still on complete lockdown, only one person allowed out at a time and must carry official documentation, if you don't comply, expect to be hauled away by the police, it's definitely not getting any easier.

Adverts