Drive to Spain in 2020?

Easyliving

We spent 7 weeks on a site near Dénia in Spain this year. Luckily we left just before the Coronavirus outbreak.

We liked the site so much we booked to stay there again, planning to arrive just before Christmas this year.

It’s looking unlikely we will be able to take the van to Spain later this year so we will have to cancel I expect.

Paul

vwalan

hopefully by september all will be almost back to normal.
why wont you be able to take the camper?
mind the 3month possible time frame might be awkward regarding ferries etc .not a france in winter fan. been in too many snow and cold trips through france.
lets hope they do decide a ferry straight to morocco . there was talk about it a few years ago.

BigMomma

I think that once the Coronavirus has gone, the Countries like France, Portugal, Spain etc. that rely on Tourism as a major source of their income, will want to get their borders open as soon as they can. It will not just be the foreign visitors either as their own people will want to get back out after being coupled up, so sites may well be fully booked. The associated companies, Ferries, Airports, etc will all be the same I would imagine. Where I think, and this is only my own personal opinion, that there may still be some apprehension will be the mass congregation of Motorhomers who 'Free Camp', not necessarily out in the sticks, but in the popular beach locations. It was getting bad enough with Police moving campers on before this Pandemic so I guess we shall just have to wait and see. Those staying on Campsites will not have a problem though, if they can secure a pitch

Easyliving

The good old BBC mentioned very briefly earlier that one of our universities was hoping their vaccine might be ready by September!

I think a vaccine is our best hope of getting back to normal.

As Eric says, many of these countries are totally reliant on tourism so I would think they would want us back ASAP.

chrisjones18

We will just be glad to get off our relations drive, we have been here since the start of this. (Many thanks to them)
We have booked a few (calmac) ferry crossings in Scotland for July and August, so we hope this is over before September.
There could be a lot if companies up sh*t creek without a paddle by the end of this.....

vwalan

spain is ok if you dont camp.
i know a few that are still over in spain . some just about 50yds from the beach. but no seats, chairs, tables , bbq,s etc outside.
just follow the rules and you can be ok.
its really the ex campsite dwellers that think wilding is like being on a campsite that messes things up.
they do it here in uk and make a right eye sore of wilding.
mind i did use a campsite back in 2009 for one night. that was in l,hospitalet de l,infant in spain. ..had a night just so my partner at the time could see how folk behaved on campsites.
mind uk is easy to stop for a night ,here ,there but dont stay for days and dont look like your camping .
actually uk is possibly the easiest country for a night here and a night there etc.
best not stop in pub carparks though as they dont normally have the right permission to allow it.
any way best not stop in a pub ,they only rip you off for the price of a pint.
mind pubs do every where and restaurants , best dont use them.

BigMomma

The good old BBC mentioned very briefly earlier that one of our universities was hoping their vaccine might be ready by September!

I think a vaccine is our best hope of getting back to normal.

As Eric says, many of these countries are totally reliant on tourism so I would think they would want us back ASAP.
I think that our biggest problem is that we are not doing mass testing. It only takes one infected person to start the whole thing snowballing again. The death toll figures being quoted only include those reported via the NHS Hospitals, not Care Homes or deaths that occur at home that may or may not be attributed to the virus so the actual infection figures and death toll may well be much higher. People can have the virus but not show any symptoms, they are merely 'carriers' who can still contaminate the things they touch, so if more people are not tested then how do you know who has, or hasn't, got the infection ? Vaccines have to be found and then tested before mass distribution, so I think this will be a slow process. Of course we would all like to think that this horrendous pandemic will be over and done with sooner rather than later as the economic impact is already huge, but lifting the lockdown too soon would make it even worse. We just need to be patient and sit it out, stay safe everybody :thumb:

Dunroamin

Still surprises me how many adults believe in the tooth fairy and Santa Claus.Our illustrious leader and his inept minions are taking us from one disaster to another. Covid is not a disease it is a cull and will not go away till the aged and infirm are decimated.Anyone who thinks that it is worth booking a holiday is deluding themselves.Sit tight,wait it out,it will be a long haul.

BigMomma

Leprosy, Black Death, Asian Flu, Spanish Flu, Bovine Disease, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Coronavirus.......... The question should not be, "When will this latest pandemic be over ?" but what will come next and when

vwalan

might be a war as well soon.
there is comments that usa started the virus and sent it to china,.
as for the testing it doesnt stop anyone catching it later on .
if you get it there is no real treatment.
plus no vaccine against it.
lots of young folk are getting it as well, its not fussy who catches it.
might make the world a nicer place with 50% of the population not here.
could say beam me up scotty , ,,, ,,,,but there is no where to go. ha ha .

BigMomma

Well if one thing is for certain, even after this event is all over, it will change nothing, the human race do not learn from their mistakes it will go back to 'business as usual'. The intolerances, the greed for power, wealth, land etc. Ravaging of Natural resources. 'Lest We Forget', probably one of the most hypocritical phrases ever uttered :(

BigMomma

Seeing as we are now talking about this subject on here, I thought it had been a bit quiet :wait: So what about this for discussion......

For years the world has suffered with what we commonly refer to as 'Cold' or 'Flu', it comes and goes year on year, some get over it but those who have underlying medical or respiratory conditions sometimes do not. They have never found a cure for these viral infections so why should we be confident that we will find one for this ? :wasntme: and, Will this just be another one that will slot into the same category, highly infectious and easily transmitted ?

vwalan

its just gods way of sorting out his toys.
makes a change from the idea he might throw a few buckets of water into the sea and create another noah,s arc theory.
bet he will get rid of lots of his action men toys and possibly some of his sisters dolls etc .
never mind soon be winter.
i,m sure our yearly calender is nearly 2months out with the weathers calender. seems to have started in the 90,s rained alot in septembers and augusts then , or seemed to .

BigMomma

Perhaps he just thought he would send a global problem wher each Country had to focus on their own dilemmas, instead of some Countries always poking a finger into everyone else's business :rolleyes:

vwalan

best just look forward to having a nice sail to spain sometime in the near future.
not worth driving through france to get there.
mind i do think it would be nice to just hang around in brittany like i used to.
might just do that more once we are out of the eu. unless the ferries alter the ferry times in winter to more ferries it may be a bit awkward fitting the time allowed into the ferry times.for spain.
mind i suppose they will do it just to keep the flow coming and going.
if the weather does keep getting warmer and climate change really does take off there wont be any need to leave here though. lots nice places to visit and see in uk .

Easyliving

We drove to Spain via France in January, it was a nice drive. My wife didn’t fancy the Bay of Biscay in Winter!

Apparently almost 600,000 people die every year in the UK and 50% of those dying ‘with’ coronavirus are age 80 or over. Makes you think.

Paul

vwalan

But if their is any positives out of this Brexit stuff, you get the best of both worlds, 6 months UK, 6 Months EU
but isnt it in 3month spells in each /unless you apply for a visa.
i have found i like being in uk in summer.
shame morocco got abit crowded . as it was nice doing 6 weeks spain, 3 months morocco then another 6 weeks spain ,or spain /portugal.
trouble as been there are so many heading to costa del sol and the algarve i got fed up going that far down.
morocco got thousands where it only used to be a few in the 70,s . even the 90,s werent bad but come 2005 it just got too busy in many places.
tunisia was nice but a bit cold in the heart of winter.

BigMomma

but isnt it in 3month spells in each /unless you apply for a visa.
Yes, 90 day periods, but that means that you can explore a particular area in UK, then a region and Country of Europe for 90 days, then come back to U.K. and do a different area/region and so on and so forth So it may only be in bite size chunks but at least you can still get out and explore. You can only work within the limitations placed upon us. We are considering applying for a longer touring Visa to do one big tour, probably wouldn't be permitted to get it renewed after that but could try, don't know if you don't ask :shake: I think you just have to work with what you have, something is better than nothing

BigMomma

We drove to Spain via France in January, it was a nice drive. My wife didn’t fancy the Bay of Biscay in Winter!

Apparently almost 600,000 people die every year in the UK and 50% of those dying ‘with’ coronavirus are age 80 or over. Makes you think.

Paul
When we retire properly we may decide not to go to Spain and just spend 90 days exploring a particular region of France, next 90 day in EU permitted period we may spend at the apartment, next period 90 days in a region of Germany. The planning logistics may get more intricate due to the changing seasons, but that is something we will have to look at, may mean spending more than 90 days back in U.K. so that we can time the 90 days in EU to suit where and when we want to travel. It will just entail being even more flexible and adapt to the new restrictions. It will not stop us from travelling, just how we do it

Adverts