Disposing of toilet waste

Sueboo

We are currently staying on a camp site in Calpe and have noticed lately when out walking by the "free campers" on the road the awful smell of urine at the side of the road. It really is disgusting. ]

I'm not getting on at free camping as we do it ourselves periodically but PLEASE dispose of your waste responsibly.

Sue

Steve Freeman

This is one time when we prefer people to take the piss....

Actually, even on some campsites I have seen (only twice, ever, in fairness) both genders emerge from their MHs and just piss right in front of them, thinking that nobody can see. One disadvantage of blackout windows!

We've all relieved ourselves in places out of the way of where people have to camp/live/walk etc., but this other behaviour is hard to follow. The vehicles would have had own loos, and the toilet block was only 50m away.

Sorry, but house arrest has to be on cards for some people, or ECT.

BigMomma

Unfortunately, whilst there is no evidence that this 'stench of urine' was the responsibility of the 'free campers', it is what would be called 'Circumstanstial Evidence'. That is not to say that they are not the 'culprits' but hard to prove if they are not seen in 'the act'. However, there have been many 'posts' on this forum where many that choose to free camp have openly admitted that in order not to fill up their onboard toilets at night or first thing in the morning, with bodily fluids, they 'pee in a bottle', or other receptacles, then dispose of them by tipping contents of said receptacles into nearby bushes or hedgerows. That is the case for the prosecution me Lord, the defence lawyers will, I am sure, be making their representations very soon :giggle:

square_steve

We are currently staying on a camp site in Calpe and have noticed lately when out walking by the "free campers" on the road the awful smell of urine at the side of the road. It really is disgusting. ]

I'm not getting on at free camping as we do it ourselves periodically but PLEASE dispose of your waste responsibly.

Sue
Why not mention it to them? Not sure if they will see it here.

BigMomma

If they are parking outside the campsite, complain to the Campsite Owner about the smell, he may then complain to the Council or Police who may opt to erect yet another 'Motorhomers Not Welcome' sign !! So, another case of the selfish minority spoiling it for the majority !!

Steve Freeman

I would Steve but as most of the vans only stay one night and then move on its hard to say who the culprits are.
Besides which, a fair few can get belligerent, especially Brits of a certain type. Being nice and friendly doesn't always work as people can get a bit weird about 'territory'.

square_steve

I would Steve but as most of the vans only stay one night and then move on its hard to say who the culprits are.

Sue
Other countries have different ideas about what is acceptable as a urinal (Oooh hope that isn't a shocking word) as well Sue.
Perhaps people follow their noses to the large places like these mentioned on other forums:

""Have found a great place at #### south of #### it's a vast open space behind the dunes. There are hundreds of European vans here & would be good for those of you who like campsites or believe in safety in numbers.""

And

""But it's not like the usual motorhome ghettos, there is so much space I park a long way away from other vans #### seem to band together, we are close to some #### vans there is a long walk for water.""

And

""There are 1000s of vans everywhere""

BigMomma

When I first took to the road I have to admit to being appreciative of the more experienced traveller's who gave us some useful tips on places where we could park up, but I also respected those who said they didn't want to divulge some of their 'favourite' locations. Now, whilst it may be selfish, I have learnt that 'sharing' information is turning out 'not' to be a good thing, for the increasing number of 'negative' reasons that are highlighted on forums and other blogs. For me, it's not the actual numbers of 'other' vans that may use the same space but more importantly the unsavoury 'habits' and selfish attitudes of the 'minority' of my fellow Motorhomers. Sadly, it is the actions of the 'few' that have a major impact on the 'majority' :cry:

On that note, it is time to head down to the Marina for a spot of lunch and a 'cold' one, or two, but if I get caught short on the way down I can always have a 'pee' in the bushes rather than wait and use the 'WC' provided at our chosen lunch venue !!

Steve Freeman

Too many people, too few places.
I hear Morocco is unbelievably fabulous, and that they are practically paying people to come over, and abandon Spain & Portugal. Both of which have been ravaged by floods and plagues of locusts. :)

Sueboo

If they are parking outside the campsite, complain to the Campsite Owner about the smell, he may then complain to the Council or Police who may opt to erect yet another 'Motorhomers Not Welcome' sign !! So, another case of the selfish minority spoiling it for the majority !!
Camp site owner is only too well aware of what goes on and does complain. What really annoys him most though is when they come in and ask if they can take a look around the site then go and have a shower:speechless:

Sue

BigMomma

Camp site owner is only too well aware of what goes on and does complain. What really annoys him most though is when they come in and ask if they can take a look around the site then go and have a shower:speechless:

Sue
Perhaps he should consider installing door locks to facilities blocks, each unit is given two keys upon arrival, that or coded door locks :thumb:

Steve Freeman

I refuse to acknowledge my birthday these days.
But it guarantees people don't sit too close!

One friend of mine celebrates "un-birthdays" - I think it involves drinking rather than showers though....

BigMomma

The right side of 50 is the '0hhh' side :giggle: Happy Birthday for tomorrow :party:

Adverts