Dish washer tablets

Chris t

hi all need a bit more advice,is it dishwasher tabs or washing machine tabs that you use
In toilet cassette,seen it somewhere but can’t remember which one. Thanks in anticipation. Chris t

coolasluck

Dishwasher tablets are supposed to be good at cleaning out your freshwater tank. All I use in the toilet cassette is a couple of litres of water .

vwalan

dont use anything . and dont wash the cassette out ,it keeps the bacteria working so it breaks down the waste quicker .
plus using nothing means you tip in cesspits etc . far better for the enviroment than using chemicals or the washing powders .
first couple of uses it might smell slightly but it dissapears with more use.

Silver Drifter

Dishwasher tablets are supposed to be good at cleaning out your freshwater tank. All I use in the toilet cassette is a couple of litres of water .
Rather be safe than sorry with potable stored water. Puritank is cheap enough to disinfect the entire system including shower head etc for less than a fiver. Safe enough to drink for a year 'till you use the other half of the tub.....

vwalan

for freshwater tanks
fill with chlorinated tap water leave over night and empty. then refill with fresh chlorinated tap water . job done .

coolasluck

Rather be safe than sorry with potable stored water. Puritank is cheap enough to disinfect the entire system including shower head etc for less than a fiver. Safe enough to drink for a year 'till you use the other half of the tub.....

We never drink the freshwater tank water anyway. We drink from 5 x5 litre storage containers.We carry 50 litres in the boot for drinking or tap water. Never stuck anything in our tank to clean it.

Shrimp

I think some have the wrong end of the stick!:happy:
The OP was asking what do people put in their toilet cassette-dish washer or clothes washer tabs!

coolasluck

You can put whatever you want in there as long as it's cheap like we did. Now we just add water.You don't need anything else in there!!!!!

vwalan

dont put anything in the cassette only waste poo. and a drop of clean water to swill the bowl a cup full is enough. you need bacteria in the cassette .
having worked in the sewage/water industry i had many good chats with the scientists involved . best pee in a bucket or for ladies use a bidet adaptor for the cassette then loose the pee somewhere .
its the pee that can also kill the bacteria.
for anyone thats interested ,have a word with your local water board they do usually arrange visits to works so you can ask loads uestions with the workers .

Pinball Wizard

In septic tanks, they would advise putting in yeast tablets, same principle would apply with our toilets, if you want to go down the no chemical route.
Google, Yeast in septic tanks.
Years ago, in Spain, a hot summer, I met a guy who added nothing to his toilet.
He opened it one day, and he told me it exploded, out of the toilet.
A SOG might be needed if you add nothing, to let the gasses escape.

Last edited:

chrisjones18

i fitted a SOG system and to be honest we cant fault it.
before that I put any cheap bio/non bio liquid in the cassette, never liked that blue/pink stuff.

vwalan

In septic tanks, they would advise putting in yeast tablets, same principle would apply with our toilets, if you want to go down the no chemical route.
Google, Yeast in septic tanks.
Years ago, in Spain, a hot summer, I met a guy who added nothing to his toilet.
He opened it one day, and he told me it exploded, out of the toilet.
A SOG might be needed if you add nothing, to let the gasses escape.
there should be a small vent in the mechanism. .but its better with the old fashioned porta potty and just leave the slide open a smidgin.
but beware when driving up mountains . my neighbour peed in his then opened the flap and whoosh he got covered . mind that was in spain . he did it again in morocco. he doesnt forget now if we are around . think we shall be taking the p--s for years .

Shrimp

I've heard that before-the cassette getting pressurised, I always open it before lifting the lid!

vwalan

it makes sense really plus could be a few thousand mtr high if traveling in spain .
i leave mine just cracked open . mind i,m still using old fashioned porta potty.
the learning curve can be quite steep so many little silly things to learn, i admit i hadnt thought of it happening till my mate got covered . he was actually using a porta potty i couldnt understand why he left the slide shut and peed in the toilet ,makes better sense to open then use it . it was funny . but when he did it the 2nd time well in the crowd we were with it was hilarious. even now its dont take the piss out of gary every time we all meet up.
mind my youngest lad got locked in the toiletrs in liddl at adra years ago . we knew he was in there . but hearing let me out i,m locked in the lavatory was funny. even now 17 yrs later it hasnt stopped . we tx him to let him know every year etc and our mates do if they are there .

Adverts