ASCI - is it worth joining this...?

dippingatoe

Are the discounts worth having, and how many bother to use campsites. I don't often use them here in UK, but am a member of CC though I wonder how cost effective it is. I suspect it's probably just about break even, but it makes me more likely to stay at a CC because they look cheaper to members. And pulling in now and then is very useful.

BigMomma

Remember also that as a CC Member you also get the cheap mid-week discounts :thumb: As for ACSI, yes it is worth having, you just never know when you may 'want' to utilise Campsite facilities ;)

Steve Freeman

We have one regular place we visit each year for 2 weeks, and the ACSI saving more than pays for that stop alone.

The rest of the time, we stay for a long time (3 months) and the discount is always better than the ACSI rate, but we still get the card every year - it will arrive in the post at reception around 15th Dec !

CC-owned sites seem expensive to us, but are usually a good standard, and we are members of CC, but I can't remember why anymore!

BigMomma

I don't know how many people do not renew there CC membership each year, but after two seasons working for them I do know that there are lots of new people joining. As for this season on 'our' particular site, fully booked every day from Easter to mid-October speaks for itself. We also noted that the ratio of Caravans and Motorhomes using our sites is 50/50.

Steve Freeman

Yeah, this lark is getting way too popular everywhere!

When enough people go away, we'll be able to park in empty drives and streets, on estates up and down the country. Should be easy to plumb into someone's house for water and electricity.... :)

Steve Freeman

Good site. I expect few will freak when they see our rig rolling towards their "gardens" :tmi:

coolasluck

How about a mini artic with red door bang in the middle of someones garden.

Steve Freeman

How about a mini artic with red door bang in the middle of someones garden.
And the motorbike and the generator, and the 8 million Argus bottles, and eating their children, and not to mention that he'll likely go all Fred Dibnah and start blowing up their chimneys....

Flamenca

I have been told that you can always get the ACSI rate at a camp site regarless of whether you are a 'member'. Is this true?
What camp sites will turn you away?

coolasluck

That is also the same for the cheap cls site we used.We only ever got asked for our card number twice.The majority are interested only in the cash and why shouldnt they.

sundowners

We never get ACSI card because even with their 'discount' they are far too expensive for us---------there are soo many other places in Europe to stop and dump/refill for much less or free.
I suppose it does depend if you want to stop in 'posh' campsites.
Nigel & Pamala

BwB

Never used to be expensive, the rates all used to be below 10€ until just a few years ago and were good value most of the time as the price includes electric. These days though, too rich to use long term. And, always ask what the campsites normal discount is if staying for more than a few days, it's sometime cheaper than the Acsi discount. I think the sites are so busy in off season these days that they don't need to rely on these schemes to get business.

Steve Freeman

ACSI is off season only I think, and yes, plenty of full service sites seem to be cheaper than some 'no service, non-ACSI' farmers' fields etc...

wanderlust51

Never used to be expensive, the rates all used to be below 10€ until just a few years ago and were good value most of the time as the price includes electric. These days though, too rich to use long term. And, always ask what the campsites normal discount is if staying for more than a few days, it's sometime cheaper than the Acsi discount. I think the sites are so busy in off season these days that they don't need to rely on these schemes to get business.
That happened on a site in Peniscola,it was cheaper with out the acsi card,but the card costs about a tenner with lots of sites that we never use but might

Fatima Saysell

Are the discounts worth having, and how many bother to use campsites. I don't often use them here in UK, but am a member of CC though I wonder how cost effective it is. I suspect it's probably just about break even, but it makes me more likely to stay at a CC because they look cheaper to members. And pulling in now and then is very useful.
Yes if you plan to travel off season as the discounts are good.

BigMomma

Not all the ACSI sites are of the 'posh' variety, although that doesn't mean that they are poor quality. In our first year we stopped on one up in the mountains near Madrid. When we drove in it looked far from salubrious and we said we would only stay for the night, then move on. We ended up staying 3-4 nights, had a lovely large pitch, electric and water on pitch, tired looking but very clean showers/WC's and good laundry facilities and in a wonderful location. The site was very quiet as it was Winter but we made friends with two Spanish campers :thumb: Don't judge a book by its cover :shake:

Dora_ex

I have been told that you can always get the ACSI rate at a camp site regarless of whether you are a 'member'. Is this true?
What camp sites will turn you away?
We don't have an ACSI card but do use sites that are shown in the books. We always ask what there "special offer rates" are, very rarely they don't match the ACSI rate. In Greece one site refused to give us the ACSI rate - normal rate was €1 more, then one site in Italy said no and wanted an extra €10 so we moved on.

Sites in low season are very rarely going to turn business away, its their own choice if they want to offer the same ACSI to non ACSI members and nearly everyone we have ever used does without a problem. Our experience is yes, we can get the ACSI rate at 99% of the sites we have used.

Adverts