are we all smiling and happy?

Easyliving

Cheapest box of red (5 litres) I found was last year in France. Spanish plonk in Netto was about €5.50 - won’t find that price in Tesco!

Paul

BigMomma

Jeez! Lucky you. Like Big Momma, mine are 1.7% - BEFORE tax............
Will
ps my usual Portuguese choice comes in at about 6.50 Euros per 5 litre box (can't find the Euro sign key on my Mac :( - and that's before the wine has been opened)
Yes my 1.7% increases were the ‘Gross’ amount too

BigMomma

We are desperate for the lock-down to end as "plate of the day" meals are always accompanied by good red wine!!!!!!!!----- and so cheap
we still enjoy our ‘menu del Dia’ its just that we have to prepare and cook it ourselves :giggle: When the vino tinto runs out we will just make a start on the Jack Daniels, purely for medicinal purposes you understand:wasntme:

vwalan

conde noble in spain if bought in the 1ltr cartons is less than a euro per ltr.
thought some of you might have been stocking up over the last few years .
mind i like spanish brandy as well ,but only the cheap ones .
espirituosa is ok if using to splash in your beer or have with something as a mixer.

Willum

If memory serves correctly, in the '80s the litre cartons were the equivalent of 22p per litre , 17p when on offer in Pryka - and just as much in need of a good dollop of lemonade, the stuff they referred to as 'gas', short for gaseosa. "Uno tinto con gas, por favor" was a well used phrase in the bars round La Linea.
There was also a gin called Fockink and a tonic called Revoltosa.
Bet it doesn't take you long to work out what that soon evolved into..............

chrisjones18

thought some of you might have been stocking up over the last few years .
mind i like spanish brandy as well ,but only the cheap ones .
espirituosa is ok if using to splash in your beer or have with something as a mixer.
Just under 90 cents on the way to Jimena 18 months ago... plus 24 stubbies for less than €5 in a small supermarket in the mountains.
Never tried the brandy, though the bushmills was about £24 a litre in Calais

vwalan

i remember in the late 90,s paying about 27p equivalent for i think it was vino tramonte in spain a ltr. .
as for the brandy i like todays vega cadur solera . brandy .
or vega cadur espirituosa as a cheaper one for mixing .
mind in the 70,s we used to buy a drink called waz when in spain , it was a spanish whiskey mixed with spanish brandy and you could get wazzed very easily for less than a quid.
used to buy it in coop shops . bit like our coop,s here but the seem to have gone these days in spain.
mind we also used to do lots of factory tours in the jerez de la fronera areas . lots of brabdy and wine tasting used to go on back then. .
when we were travelling around in the 60,s and 70,s my dad and my uncle seemed to know lots of places to visit.
but now its conde noble wine and argus beer , hopefully be ok for awhile.
might have to go back to uk beers etc in a few years .ha ha .
if i last that long.

vwalan

mind i also remember getting 350 pesatas to the pound and paying 50ps to go in a disco , you got a tumbler full of bacardi and a measured amount of coka cola free , if you bought another it was more than the entry fee . so you left and went to another disco.
when i was 6yr old i passed my m,bike test aweek after my birthday . packed my job in and took off for spain. i had met a spanish girl 2 months earlier in calella , just up north of barcelona on the seaside.
it was really hot in july.
i found her kissing another holiday maker , so had to ride back to uk and get my job back.
its a sharp learning curve when your a teenager.
i can laugh about it now but it wasnt so good back in 1971.
i can still hear my dad telling me i was daft to do it. hee hee.
its along way through france etc on a bsa c15 250cc .
plus i had to ride to and from southampton to catch the ferry.

vwalan

OMG Alan !! I knew you were an old git but working at 5 years old, passing your bike test just after your 6th birthday, the good old days eh
think i missed a one out there.
sorry.
mind i was a paperboy in the morning . worked evenings in a restaurant and on saturday was a butchers saturday boy. when i was a school boy.
was only about 15 and a couple of weeks old when i left school.
saved hard all the time so when going abroad etc always had a bit to spend.
even back then there was lots of lazy kids and adults that never tried hard to earn a shilling.
the good old days are still here really . lots work in the summer and earn enough to get away in winter ,yet can still come back and get a job .but some have hardly ever had a job and say its hard to get one etc . yet visit a local pub and they seem to almost live in there every day.

vwalan

oh well had some rain ,it will do the flowers good etc .
bit cold as well but never mind .
lets keep fingers crossed it will soon be time to burn some rubber and travel around more easily.
think many places in uk will be alot more busier than they have been for a few years .
lots of historical places will be looked at by many that used to holiday abroad.
plus i think more will actually open their eyes more to the beautiful countryside available.
lets hope global warming carries on and uk gets alot warmer .

BigMomma

So how many think that irrespective of the PM’s announcement on Sunday, that it isn’t going to be just one big free for all on normal movement No limits on how much exercise you can take, I expect to see a much healthier population, fitness wise, by the end of next week

vwalan

mind you could just do what you want and take no notice of anything.
doesnt dont do something really mean you must do it?

Willum

So how many think that irrespective of the PM’s announcement on Sunday, that it isn’t going to be just one big free for all on normal movement No limits on how much exercise you can take, I expect to see a much healthier population, fitness wise, by the end of next week
The halfwits have already started, Eric. If you haven't seen the report, some stupid, inconsiderate idiots went from Slough to Studland Bay (Dorset), got cut off by the tide and called the Coastguard. The worst is, they risked the lives of Coastguard crews. Personally, I'd have left them there and checked afterwards to see if Darwinian Theory applied. If not and they made it back to safety, round them up and put them in the stocks somewhere - with a big box of rotten eggs for the public to chuck as an allowable exercise activity. A bit Draconian, maybe - but deserved all the same.

vwalan

if people in a job dont like the idea of actually doing the job . then they can hand their notice in.
just swap the job you were doing and do another job.
does seem like if some arent happy they never stop moaning .
more times you swap jobs the more you learn.
after all if one person can do it then other folk can and will do it.

BigMomma

The halfwits have already started, Eric. If you haven't seen the report, some stupid, inconsiderate idiots w ent from Slough to Studland Bay (Dorset), got cut off by the tide and called the Coastguard. The worst is, they risked the lives of Coastguard crews. Personally, I'd have left them there and checked afterwards to see if Darwinian Theory applied. If not and they made it back to safety, round them up and put them in the stocks somewhere - with a big box of rotten eggs for the public to chuck as an allowable exercise activity. A bit Draconian, maybe - but deserved all the same.
Not only would I fine them, but also present them with the bill for the cost of the Coastguard services

sundowners

I think that UK is doing too little too late!!!! Just read this morning that they are thinking of isolation for all people arriving by plane------ starting at the end of the month!! In my opinion this should have started a month ago ---- and hefty fines for anyone skipping their isolating period------- how the hell are we going to stop the spread of the virus while people are still mixing and travelling??????
Portugal has taken all this much more seriously---- everyone entering a shop must gel hands and wear a mask----- nothing will be 100% but every little helps ( as a load of crooks said!!!!)

Willum

I think that UK is doing too little too late!!!! Just read this morning that they are thinking of isolation for all people arriving by plane------ starting at the end of the month!! In my opinion this should have started a month ago ---- and hefty fines for anyone skipping their isolating period------- how the hell are we going to stop the spread of the virus while people are still mixing and travelling??????
Portugal has taken all this much more seriously---- everyone entering a shop must gel hands and wear a mask----- nothing will be 100% but every little helps ( as a load of crooks said!!!!)
Far too little, far too late!
I was all for signing up to this app they're trialing on the Isle of Wight but having spoken to my software engineer son, don't think I will. It appears to be largely a product of the same outfit that blasted out all the false info and texts/messages/fake news/bullshit on social media surrounding the Brexit debacle. Some of those involved are also famous for massive data 'losses' (accidental or deliberate, depending on your level of belief and trust in the activities of such companies as Cambridge Analytica). They are also trying to do it without reference to the phone operating system manufacturers. Stupid - or perhaps deliberate.
It beggars belief why you wouldn't just talk to the likes of the Korean and Singapore governments who have already developed and used an app extremely successfully.
I wondered why, when quizzed by the news media in the Covid-19 update sessions, they were rather cagey with their answers. I'd though it might be just the usual politicians refusal to give a direct answer to a direct question. Nah! From my (possibly jaundiced) point of view, I'd reckon their pals and supporters see an opportunity to make money out of it - then make use of the data where they can afterwards.
Trouble is in the present dire environment, the moment you raise questions about anything that's done under the auspices of combating Covid-19, you're going to immediately become a pariah.

BigMomma

So here is something you may wish to ponder upon, just hours after Blundering Boris’s latest ‘Lambs to the Slaughter’ announcement, my Mother has received a letter this morning from the NHS advising her to stock up on Tinned and Dry Goods ? That sounds like they are expecting a second wave of high infections and perhaps more panic buying Just to add to the ‘Conspiracy Theories’, if the Boris road map is indicating that by 1st July everything else, not already having been opened up, is then permitted to do so, subject to infection rates of course, then why is the Chancellor about to announce an extension to the furlough payments up to the end of September although at a reduced rate of 60%

Adverts