Any thoughts on this for price ?

johnnerontheroad

It looks good but you are right about the price have a look and make an offer if all ok. Just seen it has no turbo so very slow and steady and not good on the hills you will be up and down the gears.

Good luck
Dave

coolasluck

As has been stated does it have a turbo engine as you are going to need it.It does have quite an overhang on it.I would not want to have a non turbo version that is front wheel drive trying to pull all that weight personally.
Plus it does not have a decent garage can you live without these things for a start.
It does look like a really nice clean interior.
I looked for the 694 version that had a transverse bed above a large garage with double bench seating instead of the bar version.In about 18 months of looking i gave up as i only ever saw one for sale and that was in germany.If i could of bought on of those hymers i would have as i also like the separate shower.I struggled to find something that floated my boat and if i did they were hard to find for sale.

iconiccampers are good but they sell too few hymers on there site.
Its a shame they dont bring more over to sell,i have seen some lovely hymers on there over the years.

snail

The s700 from iconic campers would be a much better buy than the 694 tag axle, rear wheel drive and more or less the same payload, both about the same length, the 694 will win on garage space if you want secondary transport?

Snail

vwalan

neither have a garage though .
if you carry 6 people in either there isnt much payload left .unless they look like twiggy.

snail

OK, no garage didn't realise it had been modified! Normally the 694 has a huge garage area, its a model I would have liked, no payload? 900kg? How many pie's do you need!

vwalan

but its a 6 berth . put 6 people in there soon goes . and clothes etc.
hardly enough room for beer and wine to bring home . never mind 500ltr of cheap diesel.
doesnt look modified looks just like left factory like it . but never mind .
remember i only have about 3ton payload. ha ha

snail

Yeah OK Al, but you're an exception to any rule of thumb!

How's the weather down there? Been crap 48hrs here but nipping over to eastnor deer park for a few days tomorrow as its supposed to get better

Talking with our friend at Newbury show who stays at Ted's place, and Buzz still has the coach and the International is finished apparently but a bit lacking in performance!

Had to laugh in Lidl yesterday as Conde Noble rose on offer at £3 odd a bottle!!

Last edited:

vwalan

rain ,rain and just incase you missed any rain.
had to put the fire on last night . got a stinking cold . nose running like a tap.
good job i have some nice brandy to hide the cold . ha ha .
mind i dont go out now if drinking brandy. might fall down and go to sleep.

coolasluck

Yep the same here didnt realise it was going to be as crap as it turned out yesterday the t.v aerial is now dangling from its mast so i need to take a look at that later.Feels like winter is here again.Are we going to have a summer at all i wonder.There is another el-nino effect occuring which means that normally one place sees drought whilst the other sees nothing but wind and rain.I wonder what the u.k will get?;)

snowbird

I have an idea whos van that is and if am right it does have the turbo engine as all the 694s had. If its the one am thinking of it was always maintained regardless of cost and has all options. It has toured Morocco and Norway several times without issue.

alf&m

Yes I also know this MH,i can also say the couple who as it up for sale came and visited us up in Scandinavia,and i was very inpressed how much storage it had to offer,a very well persented MH and well worth a visit to see it in the flesh,good luck with your hunt by the way for a MH.

hpold

The S700 would be the best buy bomb proof motor get spares any where in the world also has a one piece roof best out. When you are looking just check inside the motor compartment left and right that the support stays have not been eaten by tin worm they are just behind the indicators thats the only problem with hymers .

vwalan

and the chassis were the rear springs fix . known several need major chassis repairs there .
seems hymer do nothing to help the chassis from rusting .

vwalan

well i have seen lots many have had 5-6 foot of new chassis welded into place . its very common on the earlier merc chassis . mind these days the sprinter chassis is well known for breaking just in front of the rear springs . again rust gets hold . mercs have a terrible name for rust in the chassis . just ask any mot inspector .
the sprinter is worse than the transit these days .
i take it you havent mastered the art of trailer reversing ?
you can get lessons on it if you need them .
towing a fifth wheel trailer makes a vehicle far more maneuverable .
thats why artic trucks are used ,over rigids .
mine can be turned around on a normal two lane road , plus its far more sensible for travelling in .
most of the problems many put forward on here would be sorted if others went fifth wheel.
no need for car trailer or aframes . no need to return for mot . lots of payload . not as big as many with large m,homes .
but good job we are all different.

hpold

Had plenty of experience reversing trailers in the Army so thats no problem. No problem with rust on ours and the mot station said the chassis is in good condition and will last longer than I have leftto go . Most people do not want a trailer the inconvience of off loading and when stopping gettting out in the pouring rain just to get in and make a cuppa or have a vino. it makes more sense to get out of the driving seat to go to the kitchen put the kettle on and watch something on the tv without having to get out . Just read the silk trail from start to finish and then again . Mercs are in basta as uncle Aiki would say .

vwalan

yours isnt the same chassis though .
you might live to be very old . i know one chap that got married at 86 and he was driving then . he married a 28 year old woman so theres hope for you .
i know you arent single .
so what were you in the army.
i was in the catering corps .

hpold

I was in the REME helicopter engineer. Did duty in Malay ,Singapore, Brunei,Hongkong, Germany ( Cella , Herford, Soest, Detmold and Berlin) Set up the first Sioux squadron in 1969 to survey the wall then .

Adverts