Any solo fulltimers on here?

Wandering Star

I find it wonderful!
Maybe being a little crazy helps? Not quite sure on that one!
Absolute freedom to do what I like, when I like, and thanks to the Moho, where I like!
There's nothing quite like it.
Some soloers I've spoken to tell me that they get lonely, anxious, and bored.
I can't empathise unfortunately.
It's true that the entire world is not queuing up to be your best pal, but 99% of folk you meet will happily chew the fat! the other 1% ? Well, they're probably boring, anxious, and lonely gist who are probably best left to their own devices.
Err..not a woman though..sorry :rolleyes:

Sue96

Hi, WS. Well it sounds like I probably qualify then. Being called normal might offend me ;)

I would certainly be no more lonely, anxious and bored than I currently am - which is not at all. Very thoughtless of my old man to shuffle off his mortal coil too early though!

I was really wondering if female soloers feel safe. I feel very safe in Malta and am aware that the rest of Europe is likely to feel less so.

DonnaG

Hi, WS. Well it sounds like I probably qualify then. Being called normal might offend me ;)

I would certainly be no more lonely, anxious and bored than I currently am - which is not at all. Very thoughtless of my old man to shuffle off his mortal coil too early though!

I was really wondering if female soloers feel safe. I feel very safe in Malta and am aware that the rest of Europe is likely to feel less so.
I don't solo travel, as my old man is still with us, but I've met a number of ladies who do and would like to think I'd do so myself, should the need arise. The thing to do is to take the normal, sensible precautions that a woman alone should do anyway :thumb:
And take pleasure in the fact that if there are any smelly socks lying around, you have nobody else to blame! :rofl:

vwalan

its actually amazing how many solo ladies are out there . i have met loads . some from uk some german ,dutch . etc . all have a great time . its not as bad as it seems . i know some have been doing it for years . some are like sisters , we meet up some where in spain or where ever. some are like daughters .
think like most things once you get out there you will find every thing falls into place .

Sue96

Really looking forward to hitting the road. I've been on my own for 9 yrs now, so completely used to the solitary life. What I do miss is a social life of some sort but maybe I will meet people out there on the roads of Europe. And if I don't, that's OK too.

Sue96

My son and his family live near Barcelona. It will be good to spend some time with them too. And with my daughter in the UK.

DonnaG

Really looking forward to hitting the road. I've been on my own for 9 yrs now, so completely used to the solitary life. What I do miss is a social life of some sort but maybe I will meet people out there on the roads of Europe. And if I don't, that's OK too.
I don't know if it would appeal to you but I believe some of the clubs do rallies for solo travellers, as well as the regular type of rallies

vwalan

looks like a bit of surf running in there . ideal.
all you need now is the warmth in the evenings and nights .

Sue96

Wow, that's some view, Dippingatoe! Happy to hear you and Phoebe are loving your travels.

And yes, Donna. It might be fun to go to a rally or two. Where can I find out about rallies? Do they advertise in magazines? And could you point me towards the clubs? Thanks.

hpold

I don't solo travel, as my old man is still with us, but I've met a number of ladies who do and would like to think I'd do so myself, should the need arise. The thing to do is to take the normal, sensible precautions that a woman alone should do anyway :thumb:
And take pleasure in the fact that if there are any smelly socks lying around, you have nobody else to blame! :rofl:
Also instead of saying whats for dinner saying nice having you by me:)

DonnaG

hpold

Wow, that's some view, Dippingatoe! Happy to hear you and Phoebe are loving your travels.

And yes, Donna. It might be fun to go to a rally or two. Where can I find out about rallies? Do they advertise in magazines? And could you point me towards the clubs? Thanks.
Hi here is a list of rallies to give you a start

Start DateDurationRally VenueAttendeesMaxCapacityPercent Full
02/05/20144Northern Music Fruitcakes Uncle Norm Memorial Rally294073%
15/05/20144The Southern Motorhome Show, Newbury Showground, Newbury354578%
23/05/20148HAMBLE PRIMARY SCHOOL, HAMBLE NR SOUTHAMPTON375074%
30/05/20143UK Summer Motorhome & Caravan Show, Kent Showground, Detling0400%
16/06/20147The Motorhome Show, Stratford Racecourse, Stratford-upon-Avon82532%
14/08/20144The Western Motorhome Show, Malvern258529%
05/09/20144Autumn Motorhome & Caravan Show, Newark3408%
11/09/20144The Motorhome Show, Shepton Mallet3408%
15/09/20147WARREN FARM HOLIDAY PARK, BREAN, NR.BURNHAM-ON-SEA74018%
18/09/20144South Coast Caravan & Motorhome Show, Broadlands, Romsey1403%
25/09/20144The Motorhome Show Season Finale, Lincoln108512%

Wandering Star

As to safety, never underestimate the following....
1) A huge metal dog bowl chained to your van....you don't actually need a dog for this. Full scale camouflage consisting of a kennel, wire fence and half chewed sheep skull are not neccessary.
2)When leaving the van for a period, as you are walking away, turn back and just say something to the van like 'yeah, about an hour or two..hope you feel better in a bit' just loud enough that anyone nearby can hear you.
3)As you are leaving the van, just stand and talk into the half closed hab door for a few seconds.
I tend to do one or all of these things as it gives the impression that I have a big dog and another person in the van when wildcamping and there are 'dodgy' looking folk around or you get that 'gut feeling' that you are being watched.
Major discouragement for would be light fingered elements.
Touchwood, never had a problem.

hpold

Put a sign up beware of the dog and when you are in leave a dog chain hangig up .

Silver Drifter

Haha, the things we do! and do they actually fool anyone! During the dark winter nights I wear a black spray jacket with the collar turned up and a black wooly hat......even in Albania and Serbia the good people cross the road to avoid me...hahaha classic.
Seriously though, even in those places the average person is fine....never had an issue - park where people can hear you should you need them - if your alarms cannot be heard by anyone they aint much use!

Travel safe

Adverts