A year of waiting

Queenie123

Hi I'm Carrie I have a husband and 2 tiny dogs. I'm planning to go full time in a year. Hoping to save around £10,000 for a m home. Well that's hoping I can get a half decent one for that price x I'm 30 hub 35. We got to the point of being totality sick of paying £900 a month for someone else's mortgage and we have move 12 x in 14 years We unfortunately were never able to have children so we thought this will suit us perfectly x anyone got any advise x oh n the hub is insisting on a belly burner in van but I'm not sure x also my dogs r chihuahuas and I've heard horror stories that a fox has pinched it how true I don't know ?

Last edited:

vwalan

welcome to the forum . i,m sure if you look at a few of the threads on here you will have hours of fun . i take a pot bellied stove is what your hubby wants . that could put you out of the white plastic m,homes and into the self builds .
i,m heavily into self builds ,think you get far more for your money and can have what you want . but it can stop you going on some campsites .
personally i think thats a bonus .
others will come and give their ideas . so read them all lots of ideas will be coming your way.
i say ex prison truck or get a mini artic is the way. ha ha
cheers alan

hpold

Hi welcome to the clan and hope you get your moho . You will get a good one for that price just look at a few to give you an idea of what you want.

coolasluck

Welcome to the site and i wouyld say to get a coach:thumb:

johnnerontheroad

Hi and welcome, I would check out how a pot bellied stove would affect insurance and if you can get insured with one,seen plenty on European registered vans but not UK, could be I just have missed them.

Dave

BigMomma

Hi and welcome to the forum :thumb: My initial advice is to make two lists, one headed 'Essentials' the other 'Desirables' for both what you want from the vehicle you choose too 'fulltime' in and the same again for what you need/want to take with you. That will give you some idea on size and weight and storage requirements ;)

vwalan

lots do have wood burners mainly the alternative style campers .
lots with trucks have them . ideal in winter in the northern parts . gives a nice dry heat.
plus with many you can cook off them . and dry your clothes . but that can make it humid .
but incredible heat even off the smaller fires .
in winter in spain wood is every where . trouble is you dont need the fire then .
here in uk wood can get a bit expensive . but you can search around and find some . ideal if you have a sorce of supply .

BigMomma

I know that some people have wood burners, however, the insurance company would need to be told, it is one of those 'material facts' in which they base their risk assessment on. Also, as Alan has eluded to, where do you plan to fulltime ? Do you need to have a 'pit belly stove' or is it that 'rose tinted spectacles' thing again. Even on Narrowboats, wood burning stoves cause problems with condensation and they are much longer and have more ventilation ;) They will certainly be fairly heavy, need a fireproof hearth so weight will be a consideration let alone the stowage of fuel e.g. Wood/coal !!

vwalan

fire proof hearth is easy with stone tiles . condensation is down to insulation . the heat given from them is very dry.
but weight can be a problem . usually insurance companies doint care after all most of m,homes have some sort of heating . and usually by lighting a flame somewhere.

BigMomma

Just a slight difference between a pilot light and a roaring fire though :giggle:

vwalan

but most arent just a pilot light . they also have a roaring flame its just you cant see it .
i like catalytic heaters myself . cant be doing with collecting and chopping wood .
cant see mine either its a black heat. but doesnt use leccy as well most do.

vwalan

also you can build a water heater around the chimney .
might have to fill by hand for easyness but they do work.
i was originaly going to have a woodburner in mine , i fitted a catalytic heater temporary and then 9 years later . decided a new one would be nice . fitted a thermex one . but have to admit i dont use it much .

Queenie123

Thanks for all ur replies given me lots to think about x love reading the forums on here made night shift very amusing x hope fulltimers all got the same humour we come across. We plan to fulltime locally wild and sited for hubby's job but weekends plan to be off and about xx can't wait getting very excited just wish I thought if this years ago xx wud love to hear from people who have done and never looked bk x obviously I'm nervous too x

aikidoamigo

Forget the stove, just get a pot bellied dancer in to keep you warm... Bet Alan has a few for sale from his days in Morocco! :giggle:

Anyhow Alan... Don't you know that wood stuff is called 'boaters gold'? :rolleyes: Free heating and therefore worth a fortune. :wait::giggle:

Welcome to the forum Queenie... When did you swap the corgies for those
chihuahas? :)

vwalan

all i know is here in uk you might have to pay .
in spain there are skips full of wood in winter .
its too warm on the coast so they dont seem to have a market for it .
mind you can find lots of good stuff in the skips ,
even jan my last partner was into them . these are her pics really .

Attachments

Queenie123

Corgis lol my bitch chi is called queenie after my fave film this happy breed with john mills x name all my dogs after film or books I've had a dodger, fan, bronte, queenie and boycie x

On The Edge Too

all i know is here in uk you might have to pay .
in spain there are skips full of wood in winter .
its too warm on the coast so they dont seem to have a market for it .
mind you can find lots of good stuff in the skips ,
even jan my last partner was into them . these are her pics really .
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Adverts