A lesson learned

Merle

My 3 way fridge let me down last week but two important things came to light as far as I was concerned. The fridge only works on 12volt when the ignition is on and a habitation check is just that, if you thought it included a fridge service think again. It would appear my fridge has never been serviced, whilst it was alight on the gas the jet was so corroded there was not enough power to cool the thing. Had it put right but a costly misaprehension on my part.:eek:

BigMomma

When you had the habitation check completed did you not get a checklist which shows everything they say they have checked. Chelston Motorhomes provide a tick box list, if I had had the same problem as you after a hbitation check and they had ticked the 'Fridge Gas Check' box then I know that the cost of repair/replacement would not have come out of my pocket ;) If you are paying for something like that then ask for a checklist of what they have done :thumb:

Merle

When you had the habitation check completed did you not get a checklist which shows everything they say they have checked. Chelston Motorhomes provide a tick box list, if I had had the same problem as you after a hbitation check and they had ticked the 'Fridge Gas Check' box then I know that the cost of repair/replacement would not have come out of my pocket ;) If you are paying for something like that then ask for a checklist of what they have done :thumb:
You said it there Eric 'Fridge gas check' they check it is working and no leaks, trust me they do not service the burner or jet in a habitation check unless Chelston are different to the rest. Also I am told, the usual dealer cry is that to service the frigde it has to be removed 5 to 6 hours work, a Dometic is serviced via the vent grilles, took the guy about 20mins!:rolleyes:

vwalan

or dont bother . and get a compressor fridge .
seems like a waste of money having these checks .
they dont fix they only check.

Merle

I agree, it makes you wonder what they do for the money. Plug in an earth fault meter, check for damp and make out the bill:eek:

BigMomma

You said it there Eric 'Fridge gas check' they check it is working and no leaks, trust me they do not service the burner or jet in a habitation check unless Chelston are different to the rest. Also I am told, the usual dealer cry is that to service the frigde it has to be removed 5 to 6 hours work, a Dometic is serviced via the vent grilles, took the guy about 20mins!:rolleyes:
Yes, you are right there Merle, they do only check that it is working :thumb: However, being the controversionalist that I can sometimes be, they sell the need for the habitation check, especially the 'Gas' side of the checks as a 'Safety Check' so how can they say it is safe after a habitation check if it can be proved that it isn't, which the state of your's would probably not be hard to prove ;) But then that's just me, I hate paying for something and find it isn' fit for purpose.

BigMomma

For a new vehicle you have to have the habitation checks done every year for the period of the warranty (3 years) or the warranty can be voided. I will make sure that they do a full check on the 3rd year and then after that it won't be the dealer who will be doing the habitation checks in the future ;)

BigMomma

I agree, it makes you wonder what they do for the money. Plug in an earth fault meter, check for damp and make out the bill:eek:
You are spot on there. You can get a qualified gas engineer to do the same thing for much less money (The gas checks that is). If you know a 'freindly' gas engineer (freind) then get them to show you how to access the bits you need to get to and how to do your own maintenance/repairs. Can be fiddly but if you have the time then why not. I am not technically minded in any way but have spoken to my 'freindly' gas engineer who does the household stuff and asked if, when the warranty' period is over, he would show me how to do stuff with the onboard gas, he is more than willing although it came with a cautionary note from him about if anything goes wrong and it can be proved that it was a DIY job and your not qualified the Insurance may not pay up if it was a major pay out claim :eek:

Merle

Yes, you are right there Merle, they do only check that it is working :thumb: However, being the controversionalist that I can sometimes be, they sell the need for the habitation check, especially the 'Gas' side of the checks as a 'Safety Check' so how can they say it is safe after a habitation check if it can be proved that it isn't, which the state of your's would probably not be hard to prove ;) But then that's just me, I hate paying for something and find it isn' fit for purpose.
As I understand it unlike domestic gas the engineer does not 'have' to be registered. Dealerships can legally 'check' for operation but are not inclined to service because of the insurance aspect. A certain multi depot dealership will call in a registered engineer to service the appliance on their behalf but ramp up the costs, nothing new there then:eek: I hadn't had a habitation check in 18 months and having learned the hard way I'm actually quite glad. I'm more than capable of checking my own electrics and any fool can read a damp meter with a modicum of sense, but gas I leave well alone. All personal choice, just thought I would share my findings. :cry:

BigMomma

As I understand it unlike domestic gas the engineer does not 'have' to be registered. Dealerships can legally 'check' for operation but are not inclined to service because of the insurance aspect. A certain multi depot dealership will call in a registered engineer to service the appliance on their behalf but ramp up the costs, nothing new there then:eek: I hadn't had a habitation check in 18 months and having learned the hard way I'm actually quite glad. I'm more than capable of checking my own electrics and any fool can read a damp meter with a modicum of sense, but gas I leave well alone. All personal choice, just thought I would share my findings. :cry:
Glad you did Merle, it is a useful reminder to all of us :thumb:

vwalan

but gas engineers arent qualified to work on m,homes .
it as to be a cops 1and 2 . corgi or gas safe cant cover m.homes thats the piss take . .half the folk doing habitation checks arent qwualified . they can do caravans and motor homes for hire but not private use . google gas safe its all there.

BigMomma

But for a total ignaramous like me, a gas engineer will know one heck of a lot more about it than me, principles of gas fittings/supply/maintenance/testing etc must be similar I would have thought :rolleyes:

Merle

but gas engineers arent qualified to work on m,homes .
it as to be a cops 1and 2 . corgi or gas safe cant cover m.homes thats the piss take . .half the folk doing habitation checks arent qwualified . they can do caravans and motor homes for hire but not private use . google gas safe its all there.
Yes I realise that, the guy who fixed mine was telling me. He only works on Dometic stuff but is qualified. My son-in-law is a domestic gas engineer and explained the differences some time ago. I mistakenly thought he could earn a bit extra by doing motorhomes, wrong again:oops:

vwalan

one of my mates is a was a corgi passed gas bloke also steam boiler welder . into all sorts but hasnt got cops . but dont worry they are as qualified as us on m,homes . hee hee.

Merle

But for a total ignaramous like me, a gas engineer will know one heck of a lot more about it than me, principles of gas fittings/supply/maintenance/testing etc must be similar I would have thought :rolleyes:
It's the insurance aspect that's the worrying bit. Providing you never have a problem there's no need to worry. The chap who worked on mine was telling me a neighbour of his decided to service his own fridge, took out the burner jet assembly and without realising dropped the jet, put the assembly less the jet back in and lit the fridge......melted the grille on the outside:eek: Fortunately smelled the plastic burning saw what was happening and turned the gas off PDQ:cautious:

BigMomma

It's the insurance aspect that's the worrying bit. Providing you never have a problem there's no need to worry. The chap who worked on mine was telling me a neighbour of his decided to service his own fridge, took out the burner jet assembly and without realising dropped the jet, put the assembly less the jet back in and lit the fridge......melted the grille on the outside:eek: Fortunately smelled the plastic burning saw what was happening and turned the gas off PDQ:cautious:
Sometimes it IS worth spending a few quid to get the job done right :thumb:

Merle

Sometimes it IS worth spending a few quid to get the job done right :thumb:
Admittedly I was in a captive situation being camped at the show, it cost me £78.50 but I did not rue a single penny of it. Plus the wine was cold again:D:D

vwalan

or do it right yourself . unless the person is cops qualified makes no differance what he is as far as insurance are considered. if no cops then no qualification.

Merle

The engineer said Dometic recommend annual service but in his opinion 2-3 years is fine. The more the fridge is run on gas the longer the service period as the system will self clean more readily.

Adverts