365 Wildcamping Sites

Rob Hall

Just a thought chaps and chapesses!
Due to my disgust with the wild side, I wonder if it would be possible to create our own wildcamping site guide?
I think I paid the wild bunch about 15 quid to join them, how about starting one on here for MEMBERS ONLY, say a tenner?
I think I might be able to start us off with a few which may be laying around from another site???!!! Lets face it, I paid for it, therefore it is mine.
We can add to it as we find, what are your thoughts?
Jim, what are your thoughts? Would a tenner cover the work involved?
There are bound to be opposers, I would like to see what point(s) they would have against the idea.
Ok, it's already being done on the wild bunch site, surely, we can create our own and shove their site up their @rse.

BigMomma

Just a thought chaps and chapesses!
Due to my disgust with the wild side, I wonder if it would be possible to create our own wildcamping site guide?
I think I paid the wild bunch about 15 quid to join them, how about starting one on here for MEMBERS ONLY, say a tenner?
I think I might be able to start us off with a few which may be laying around from another site???!!! Lets face it, I paid for it, therefore it is mine.
We can add to it as we find, what are your thoughts?
Jim, what are your thoughts? Would a tenner cover the work involved?
There are bound to be opposers, I would like to see what point(s) they would have against the idea.
Ok, it's already being done on the wild bunch site, surely, we can create our own and shove their site up their @rse.
TUT, TUT, TUT :eek: Don't move your head and follow my finger....................:rofl::D (For other readers of this post, to get the joke you need to read the other posts first !!)

BigMomma

TUT, TUT, TUT :eek: Don't move your head and follow my finger....................:rofl::D (For other readers of this post, to get the joke you need to read the other posts first !!)
Sorry, the other posts linked to this are on the Thread "00:43am" in "Under the Awning" :oops:

Rob Hall

So what are your thoughts?
Good or bad accepted, I won't get mad...honest!

BigMomma

So what are your thoughts?
Good or bad accepted, I won't get mad...honest!
My personal opinion is this. Good suggestion, well presented (well sort of) BUT, as you rightly state, there are already a lot of sites that will openly provide this sort of information. Additionally, if you are in to reading all the blogs, many of them already provide information with GPS Co-ordinates. So why pay £10 for something you can get for nothing (I also think that there may be some rules, regulations and a heck of a lot of beauracratic administration when it comes to finances of this nature). We have had this discussion previously in the early days of this forum and lots of members said that they liked to keep their favourite wildcamping spots to themselves otherwise those places became too well known and they lost their charm etc. Some would be willing to share knowledge on a one to one basis.

If there were going to be a charge then the information provided would have to be kept restricted in some way, I don't know the difficulties in organising something like that, perhaps as simple as a password or PIN ?

But Rob, there are now a lot more forum members than in the early days so you may get a more positive feedback, it will be interesting to see if the opinions have changed.

BigMomma

Well folks, it's got around to that time again so best I toddle off to my bed. Look forward to chatting, exchanging views & banter and conducting some more therapy for Rob later today :D Night All :thumb:

vwalan

no its a bad idea. better you stay on campsites .
maybe the camping and caravan club ,or just the caravan club is for you. life is about finding your own places . not following dot to dot camping. while your looking for that fixed point you pass or miss a hundred good places . do you need your hand held alhe time, of course you remember where ever yoiu are just around the corner is a far better place but you will stop there tomorrow. dont go on get mobile there are thousands of exciting places out there all you have to do is open your eyes.

John and Joan

Hi Rob

You do not own the Wildcamping data. You paid a membership for WC and one of the benefits of that membership was access to the WC database. You agreed not to disclose that database contents to non members.

There are other forums with wildcamping info, FUN has some listed as has FACTS. Jim will take your money to join FUN.

JOHNH is just one member and if you do not get on with each other just ignore his posts. I often get onto WC and have not come across any of the argumentive posts. There is no need to get into arguments in discusions, or make it personal.

We already have an area for posting full timing sites on here, so I see no need foe a duplication of the WC database on here.

John

Jim

Admin
I think its a good idea, so I have added a wildcamping section for members to pass on motorhome friendly wild camping places to others. I don't think opening a paid-for section is such a good idea; I want to attract the most experienced fulltimers here so we can swop ideas and grow this as a great resource. Charging, even a token amount, might keep many fulltimers away.

I would like to see your wild camping places, but please don't breach the copyright of other sites, thanks:thumb:

Skratt

I think its a good idea. A list of outdated, untested, coordinates with no information is not a good idea though.
I sometimes use the other site that provide the coordinates and have often gone miles off course only to find a totally crap, unusable spot.
the sort of info needed is .........
location ... obviously
sensitivity ... are we welcome, how many nights max, how many vans , do you keep low profile etc
type of site ... short description
suitable for large vans or just small campers
access ... is it down a tiny, undrivable lane
is it likely to be plagued by joy riders, doggers etc

Anyone who lives and travels on the road full time will know there is definitely a use for this.
Yes Alan its nice to look for your own sites but when you have arrived in an unknown area, last thing at night it is very useful ..... Especially, I would imagine in a clutter lugging, fuel guzzling mega rig like yours. :D

Rob Hall

Hi John & Joan
My first thoughts are, that lot over on the alternative site do not own the wildcamping sites, do they?
We can ALL drive down a road and find them, I think what we will achieve on here is an "up to date list" for us all. Some MAY be duplicated and some may be new. I assume there will be some members on here who are also members over there who will visit OUR wildcamping sites and post them as a new find over there, same rules apply??

Rob Hall

I think its a good idea. A list of outdated, untested, coordinates with no information is not a good idea though.
I sometimes use the other site that provide the coordinates and have often gone miles off course only to find a totally crap, unusable spot.
location ... obviously
sensitivity ... are we welcome, how many nights max, how many vans , do you keep low profile etc

Anyone who lives and travels on the road full time will know there is definitely a use for this.
Yes Alan its nice to look for your own sites but when you have arrived in an unknown area, last thing at night it is very useful ..... Especially, I would imagine in a clutter lugging, fuel guzzling mega rig like yours. :D
This is exactly the type of thing we need, this would be a much better system than the alternative site.

Rob Hall

£10:eek:....................As an internationally renowned tightwad;)............I think I need a lie down:D
£10 would get you about a gallon and a half of diesel, how far would YOUR vehicle travel on 10 quid?
The Tenner cost on here would probably have saved you 20 travelling around looking for a place to park.
However, Jim has said that there will be no charge.

Rob Hall

no its a bad idea. better you stay on campsites .
maybe the camping and caravan club ,or just the caravan club is for you. life is about finding your own places . not following dot to dot camping. while your looking for that fixed point you pass or miss a hundred good places . do you need your hand held alhe time, of course you remember where ever yoiu are just around the corner is a far better place but you will stop there tomorrow. dont go on get mobile there are thousands of exciting places out there all you have to do is open your eyes.
What a surprise AL, a negative response from you!!:rolleyes:

pelmetman & pelmetlady

£10 would get you about a gallon and a half of diesel, how far would YOUR vehicle travel on 10 quid?
The Tenner cost on here would probably have saved you 20 travelling around looking for a place to park.
However, Jim has said that there will be no charge.
I don't think you realise just how tight I am Rob;)........................I suffer a lot from trapped wind:oops:........................ once I breath in I hate to let it out again:rofl:

vwalan

its not negative its a positive the negative is telling everyone where the best places are only to find that they abuse them then everyone is stopped from using them. i can only assume that you arent travelled enough to understand . better to have word of mouth ,also stop earlier in the day. seems to me that you need to get on the road . in a few years time you may wonder at your own words that you now speak. personaly i can find a place with in miutes of deciding to stop. i dont have any poi but do have several places marked on maps . even now we look for more and more new places . every year they change or disapear. i certainly have no need to carry a list . only the untravelled would think it a good idea in my mind . but i take it you like dot to dot travel.
i say just get out on the road your eyes open there are places just about every where. course driving on motorways and main roads will not give you ideal places . just lok around where you live i bet you can come up with twenty thirty places with out thinking ?if not then you stand no chance on the road.

pelmetman & pelmetlady

I think its a really good idea Rob for us to have a list of places to stop that have been recommended by like minded people especially if it has information such as Scratt suggested.

Sue

coolasluck

location ... obviously

Yes i have the same list as you Skratt,lay-bys in an emergency are ok but should not really be on the list as i believe them to be unsuitable.To many crappy locations,although i have to add that i have been to some really nice ones too.Nothing worse though than driving down some narrow road to find the place has dissapeared or is wholly unsuitable.

John and Joan

Hi John & Joan
My first thoughts are, that lot over on the alternative site do not own the wildcamping sites, do they?
We can ALL drive down a road and find them, I think what we will achieve on here is an "up to date list" for us all. Some MAY be duplicated and some may be new. I assume there will be some members on here who are also members over there who will visit OUR wildcamping sites and post them as a new find over there, same rules apply??
No they don't own the locations but they have contributed with the understanding that those locations would not be displayed on a website open to public view as this one is.
No problem in listing places you or any of the rest of us think suitable Rob. I was simply pointing out that a mass copy of the WC database would not be in line with the agreement made by someone who had joined WC. I have contributed stopovers on that site but I would not consider them suitable for full timing. Simply a place to stop on a journey and they could be found easily as Alan says by simply driving along the roads they are on.

John

Adverts