365 Caravan advice

Andy Evans

Hi all,

I'm looking into living in a caravan full-time and would love to hear some practical advice / tips.

It's a caravan over a campervan as my job involved owning a car anyway & I don't have loads of cash for buying a 2nd motorised vehicle.

I used to own a small caravan some years ago, but only use it for occasional weekend breaks.

My main questions are:

- Mainly how to find sites, including costs and facilities (I'd what to stay around the same general area). Any good websites for finding suitable places? Are longer or shorter term places certified? Are farms / pub car parks viable options?

- Also general advice on a make/model/size of Caravan. I'd be after something with at least one permanent bed and costing under £5000. Would ebay be a good place to look?

- & Legal requirements like insurance, maximum staying times etc (I have a family postal address I can use). Any issues that differ from Caravan to Campervan?

Last edited:

Steve Freeman

Welcome. Read other posts on this site, the info you need had been covered many times - search using "newbie" etc.

Andy Evans

Right ho Steve, thanks.

I did have a quick look but couldn't see much about Caravans particularly.

I'll certainly have another "newbie" search and see what it brings up.

But is there a best thread for my queries you could point me to?
Or a best website covering the basics I'm after?

vwalan

dont think you will find much about caravans on here as such.
anyway hi.
caravan sites have similar rules to m,homes . staying in one place could involve paying council tax . find a local farm or builders yard or something like that that might be glad of someone tucked away in a corner but acts abit like night security you may be lucky. very often they prefer it if you have a dog to chain up and bark after dark.
the biggest trouble with smaller holiday type caravans is poor insulation as they were designed for summer use only .
industrial sites rule as often there can be a few places you can go from one to the other .
living in the country helps many places have larger yards or gardens and you get away with stopping easier.

vwalan

wouldnt it just make more sense to just move into a residential caravan somewhere and at least then you would have a bit of comfort. and less hassle .

Steve Freeman

Have a scan down a few here here:
http://www.motorhome365.com/forum/forums/introduce-yourself.5/

I agree with vwalan' comments; caravans have to be light so often are hard to heat, and often have limited payloads too - only an issue if you need to move it, and find you are overloaded. I'd say you'd have to be pretty spartan to live all year in the UK in a caravan, but people do... Without an electric hookup, you'll burn through lots of gas (or diesel) just to stay warm. Other than that, for 365 day or even long-term it doesn't matter too much what vehicle you do it in, the problems are similar, like needing an address and/or full timer insurance (if needed for the van).

vwalan

how about this and then get a pickup.
possibly better insulated than a caravan .

Andy Evans

Thanks for the Intro's link & advice so far guys

I think the address thing is fine if I can use a family address.

Heat shouldn't be a problem, I'm pretty warm blooded & have camped in a tent in Scotland in the winter ;)

By "residential caravan" do you mean like the massive ones they have in a Haven Park? I'd like to be mobile with the car towing.

vwalan - could you please clarify the meaning of this sentence? "industrial sites rule as often there can be a few places you can go from one to the other ". How do I find out more about "industrial sites"?

Also should post #7 have a link? You seem to be referring to something I can't see?

vwalan

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adventure-European-5th-Wheel-caravan-/262463894519?hash=item3d1c1133f7:g:0LEAAOSwepJXTuzfyes
on industrial estates there is usually all sorts of business,s with big yards a caravan in a corner is not standing out . might get free rent for being around in evenings etc .
and yes almost like the haven leisure type caravans ,,,as in residential they dont have to massive .
my ex lives in one . my grandad and grandma lived in one for years after they retired .
where abouts are you anyway.
ahh just realized in the midlands must be some good places around there for sure .

Andy Evans

Derbyshire.

Thanks for the Adventure European 5th Wheel caravan link, looks awesome, but sadly I couldn't afford the vehicle to tow it.

I think I'm with you now on the Industrial sites think, thank you for clarifying.

vwalan

like old sauce says you could get one of these
the one on the blue pick up i used alot . the other one i bought for 150 quid . never actually got round to using it and sold it for 350 quid . but you do see them on ebay or autotrader sometimes .
as for a pickup tpo tow that fiver you might be surprised they can be cheap.
i prefer a proper truck like my mitzy . but its amazing how many smaller ones can do the job . my trailer was originally towed by a vw lt .heres one on the paris dakar rally i didnt win . ha ha .
i was only a spectator but it did go off road alot .

Attachments

MicknPat

Steve, first welcome to the forum, you say most if not all advice on here is for motorhomes but hey a motorhome is only a caravan with an engine. :) Long term stay in a caravan, my advice would be go for the biggest you can buy and tow, claustrophobia soon creeps in after a few months.

IMHO ( speaking from our experience) a caravan for really long stays is better that a BIG motorhome as a caravan blends in with any others, however if you own a 39ft long motorhome like ours you stick out like a sore thumb and easily become a target for the :envy: brigade

BigMomma

Andy, firstly welcome to the forum. Don't be offended but I had a big smile on my face reading the bit in one of your initial posts that said that you cannot find much about Caravanning on this site, the clue is in the forum title "Motorhome 365" :giggle::giggle: I am just surprised that Aki hadn't got here first with the response :lipssealed:

But as has already been said, forget the part of the equation that involves the towing vehicle or engine in the Motorhome, what is important is the 'living fulltime' inside the habitation bit !! Then there are the other associated matters, Address, Insurance, Security, Energy Source, Heating, Water, Gas etc. Have fun researching and if you have specific questions then just ask, you will get a wide variety of Advice and Opinion ;)

hpold

Depends how fast you want to travell a good shepards trailer and horse would be good . No tax just roll on.

Andy Evans

A horse & trailer would be amazing :)

Don't be offended but I had a big smile on my face reading the bit in one of your initial posts that said that you cannot find much about Caravanning on this site, the clue is in the forum title "Motorhome 365" :giggle::giggle:
Ha ha, yes I realise that ;)

Thanks again for the advice / suggestions, interesting point about caravan vs a big campervan

Steve Freeman

Yes, horses for courses. If you really need a separate vehicle, and can safely leave the 'habitation' bit somewhere, a motorhome or especially a big RV is not very useful. But they are fine if you are retired and travelling of course. And if you have the cash, a car and trailer can be towed by a MH.

vwalan

but steve and i . and landylover know what you need . i have missed a few sorry . but certainly a fifth wheeler is the way. depending on your licence a n articulated living van and truck could be a better option .
there is no right or wrong way . all i know is one tax one insurance is enough for anyone .
mind i insure tax etc m,bikes .

Steve Freeman

Trouble is that if someone is budget limited, a 5W rig, or a MH plus second car is expensive, especially if you don't have the time or the skills to self-build.... It is true that a small MH is likely to be good value - lots on the market.

vwalan

i only paid 1650 quid for my trailer with the vw lt pulling it .
that was 1. 6yrs ago. but they do come up. . doesnt take much to insulate and plywood out a trailer. use house kitchen units and soon its livable
i used polystyrene but these days kingspan etc makes it easier . even get some insulation with a smooth finish side these days .

Adverts