180 day eu tourist visa

chrisjones18

Today I sent this to my MP, most of it is copied , please feel free to alter parts and send to your own MP
My address is here
::::::::

Dear Mr Harper

I am writing to you now because the Government stated in April that it was pressing ahead with negotiations with the EU. This is urgent and any change in the negotiating position must be sorted out as a matter of priority before it is too late.

I am a motorhomer and am looking to buy a holiday home in Spain

Currently I am able to travel for extended periods in Europe without having to worry about how long I stay (within reason) respecting local residency rules but never staying more than 182 days in any one country in any year.

However, after the end of the transition period on 31/12/2020 the Europe-wide Schengen 90/180-day rule will come into force for UK citizens. The 90/180 rule is very constraining. The alternative of obtaining a visa is cumbersome, unpredictable and may be cost prohibitive due to the requirement for long-term health insurance. You cannot apply for a visa if you are already travelling outside the UK.

In extensive correspondence with the Government up to late 2019, ministers have acknowledged the needs of people who visit the EU extensively and consistently said that the issue of reciprocal travel mobility will be addressed in the future relationship.This appears to have changed.

On 19/02/2020 the government published a policy statement setting out a points based immigation system. It states “We expect to treat EU citizens as non-visa nationals meaning they can come to the UK as visitors for six months without the need to obtain a visa.” Travel arrangements are not on the agenda for UK-EU negotiations. The UK government has seemingly accepted that UK citizens will be subject to the Schengen 90/180-day rule. This is not a reciprocal arrangement.

Unless this Government position is altered immediately, then those of us who travel extensively will find our lifestyle radically changed.

The new Immigration Bill has been suspended. This provides an opportunity for the government to review its position on future travel arrangements. It is untenable that the government should be satisfied with unbalanced arrangements that have so many disadvantages for more than 500,000 UK citizens and their families.

In your role as my constituency MP, I am asking you to brief ministers of my concerns and support the proposal for 180 days of visa-free tourist travel in any rolling 360 days for UK citizens visiting the EU and for EU citizens visiting the UK.

The UK would simply be offering the same terms for EU citizens as they currently grant to those tourists travelling from countries such as Brazil, Japan and the United States.

This arrangement would satisfy the interests of travellers and second home owners, offer the EU reciprocity and uphold UK aspirations to control its borders.

Yours sincerely
Christopher Jones

BigMomma

Unfortunately Chris, as I do not own a property in the U.K. and am not on the Electoral Role for the address I use as my official contact address, I do not have a local MP. Not sure how many are in a similar position ?

chrisjones18

I dont own one either but I am on the electoral role.
180 looks a nice figure to me

BigMomma

The direction the talks are headed in, don’t expect anything, let’s just get it over and done with. This time it is the EU that are stalling, they want us to extend so that we continue to pay into the EU budget which includes footing the bill for the aid they are giving to the 27 Countries in the EU in relation to the Coronavirus, which remember we are no longer part of and have not received any financial aid from them. We will just adapt to the 2 x 90 day periods over time and it will become the new normal, it will however impact on the number of British expats who have been living in EU countries without having taken up ‘official’ residency, for which there are a large number. And let’s not forget that some of them even voted to ‘Leave’ !!

Dunroamin

Not been in Uk for 5 years.And not likely to return.Does that mean I am up poopoo river after Dec 31st?

BigMomma

Not been in Uk for 5 years.And not likely to return.Does that mean I am up poopoo river after Dec 31st?
I thought that you had also had German residency ? However, as their are no internal land borders and you do not need to return to the UK, cannot see you having any issues myself, but I guess you already knew that ;)

chrisjones18

Dunno, you tell us.
The idiots running the uk have no idea.:banghead:

Dunroamin

I could apply for a German passport but who wants to be a German? But BM is right im already here.No worries.

BigMomma

I also think that those who stuck it out and stayed in lockdown in Europe did the right thing, as internally they are lifting the lockdown and allowing places to open, I know where I would rather be right now :rolleyes:

sundowners

I suppose that we will be restricted to 180/90 days in UK!!??? A week a year is probably more than we would ever want in UK!!!!! Our new vintage transit/Karmann motorhome ( if the sale goes through!!) will be great for occasionally nipping to UK for shopping trips and visiting family there------ but there is still lots of Portugal we have yet to explore!!!

Adverts