Worth a watch

Fiskar

Just to take this blog back on topic,I am one of Ditton's Youtube subscribers, he has had a lot of trouble with his Airstream which was last in Germany getting the cracked axle repaired.
Yes, I agree with other posters, he has developed a motorhome - caravan writing career since retiring from Eurorail and has to decamp to whatever is offered and when it is offered. With that kind of lifestyle you are best to decamp from a house than leave your full time Airstream/caravan parked up while you are away. Smart move is he kept his house and had it rented out. His elderly mother is also probably also on his mind. I do like his neutral reviews of stuff especially from the Dusseldorf show and with camper vans he has been lent.

However as other posters have said I follow other "more true to life" van lifers, Project Amber is a particular favourite, a convoy of five vans is doing Scotland and is great to follow via "Lost in Europe" or "Project Amber". I do like that ambulance..........most spacious

fanofatan

the list of 'van lifers' is endless, I've been following their trip
A couple of full timers were on 'The One Show' not so long ago (Liam The Terrible & betty boondocker)
Have you watched Greg Virgo and his excellent van build threads, great building skills, a must watch for anyone thinking of converting a van IMO

Fiskar

Yeah fanofatan, am a subby of Greg's as well, excellent tutorials on his channel, contacted him by email on a topic and he replied promptly. Too busy now preparing for six months abroad and leaving in a few days. Looking forward to his vlogs. Vantastic (Finland) are true vanlifers in their 3rd year. They work in the Winter, live in the van and travel on their savings in the summer.

I think 6 months is doable, come back charge the batteries, do repairs and set off when the clocks go back and follow the "sun" so to speak. Winters starting to get harsh for us, herself needs 27C log burner going to keep warm.

fanofatan

GV seems a very nice Bloke and I'm sure he'd give great help to anyone who asks
expawers are a great watch, don't like Indie P, wayyyy too much clickbait in their titles
there are riches to be made vlogging, but I'm sure it comes at a price, you must loose sight of why you stated van life in the 1st place, it become a full time job, filming, editing and downloading

for me 2-3 months away, 3 months at home is our aim, that allows us to keep on top of everything back home

Fiskar

Unsubscribed from Indi P, cannot stand Bee and every video is a click bait. Burnout and lack of content plus the requirement to feed more than one video per week is ruining it. Youtube changed the algos, so unless you post frequently you will not earn enough, the hours of editing don't stack up. Hopefully it won't affect Project Amber or Ash Pollard. When you start to see merchandising then its time to bail out and find someone new.

Best of luck in your plans, mine are further down the line but research research and more research to fine tune the plan...will get us there.

AlaskaGuy

Hello all, it's been a while since I've been on here. To add the thread, I too have spent too much time on a number of Vlogs, and found them somewhat commercially driven. So I left them alone.
But I'm also guilty of not keeping in contact with this forum. Since having met some of you at the Overland Show, and having learned much from your generous sharing of knowledge, I am grateful for the virtual community.
I have transitioned to a 5er and am settling in to a new career working as a seasonal site warden with Camping in the Forest ( C&CC partnership with Forestry Commission) in the New Forest. I add a few months working at Go Outdoors, and then am heading south to a site in Andalusia for Jan-March.
I have a permanent family address where I visit, and a brilliant postal service/address.
Hope you're all keeping well and look forward to catching up.
Better spending time with you than the click-bait crowd!

Fiskar

Was drawn to a 5er as suggested by VWAlan but now drawn to a Project Amber Mk II, the space is terrific, no compromises, looking at auctions and prices at the moment

AlaskaGuy

I think the 5er option is really best when you're using sites. I know VW Alan does it differently! But there are some great sites in southern Spain, and I get a free pitch with my summer job.

AlaskaGuy

Yes it's a great place to live. I'm still learning on the manoevering front, but we tend to go from one longer term site ( summer job) to another (autumn job). So I have not yet travelled with it. We're leaving it in the UK for a couple of months while we go tent glamping in Spain. Then back to the New Forest campsite job for the summer.

Adverts